10 card celtic: Plain and simple

Oliver Kreed

Thanks Kibeth, I had actually read this post prior to posting this one. I had not seen the second page, the diagram, until you linked it to me. That does help make it a little easier. I'm going to print that out and study it in.

In the mean time, I did my first 3 card reading tonight. I did past-present-future. I'm ashamed to say, I still struggled a bit. Granted, it was not nearly as hard as the 10 card. My question is... what is the present? Time is always flowing. The future now is the present in less than trilliseconds. And in that same insignificant bit of time, becomes the past. How do you know what the "present" is refering to. Do we assume it is the passing present? Events just now comming to an end.

Ok... I admit it, my brain overcomplicates everything I put into it.

elvenstar

Hi Oliver, no need to be ashamed! The feeling is very familiar to me and I'm sure even the most experienced readers struggle sometimes (not that I count myself in that category :D)

Others may see it differently, but the way I approach past-present-future is this: Past is the position referring to things coming to an end. Present talks about things that are now in the spotlight. Future is about things just beginning or that will be important soon. A bit like the phases of the moon: past - energies waning, but still visible; present - full moon, peak; future - moon waxing, things beginning to come to light.

About time frame, that's a big subject, talked about a lot here in AT. You could search older threads. My take, it depends on the reading. The past could be referring to something that happened 10 years ago but is still relevant now, or only yesterday. Same with present and future. It could help to constrain your question if doing a general reading.

MeeWah

Oliver Kreed: Welcome to Aeclectic Tarot! & to Talking Tarot, too :)

Sulis gives excellent advice.

Part of the difficulties with the Celtic Cross Spread is its numerous versions. I started with the Celtic Cross out of ignorance, but happen to like it, too. & tried different versions. It may be a matter of finding or devising a more user-friendly version.

Do not, however, recommend this type of spread for all types of readings, but usually excellent as a general reading or an overview because it does touch on different life areas or aspects. It can offer too much information not pertinent to the focus or inquiry, & confuse the view. For that reason, smaller spreads frequently better & more succinct.

Kibeth

I don't assume to have the answers. Time in tarot has been discussed extensively before. You can seach the threads for them if you are interested as the discussions are often very insightful. =)

As for your original question (the trilliseconds part), one would suppose that if one tarot card accounts to one event, then the time it takes for that phase to end would be the time the card's situation becomes fully over. For example, a Three of Swords may represent a heartbreak. How long till you get over a heartbreak? The answers vary, depending on the person. People move on at different rates, so to say.

Thank you for visiting my thread. If tarot-readers at AT follow my simple diagram, deciphering their cards will be much easier. The former CC confounds me to no end. I HAD to change it.

So many cards. There's simply so much potential in the CC. Beginners train their minds to read simple 3-card spreads, but along comes the CC with its seemingly contradicting meanings, that makes a spread that is very difficult for beginners to digest.

After the simple 3-card spread, the next step that follows would logically be crossing two 3-card spreads together to make a visual Cross, then, the additional cards at the side, et cetera.

Then, it would make perfect sense the CC is a spread almost all beginners learn.