10-yr-old son doing tarot now

satine

Something really neat happened today! Some of you may have read my earlier posts having to do with my son wanting the Native American tarot deck... He had never before shown much of an interest in my doing tarot (other than commenting that the people on the cards should put their clothes on), but when he saw that deck he just had to have it. Within a week, he and his 11-yr-old sister were putting the cards in lines and telling stories. My son asked if the new deck could belong to him, and I said yes. I had made a mistake one of those first evenings, though, because I started looking at the little white book to see what some of the meanings of the cards were and how these compared to RW. I think that when my son saw me do that, he started thinking that it was too stressful to try to memorize all those meanings, so he put the deck in his room and didn't touch it for a few weeks.

Anyway, a little while ago I was in my son's room. He was cleaning up, and I was helping him. I saw his deck on his dresser there, and I asked him if he knew that he already has what it takes to do a reading. His eyes got as big as saucers, and he asked, "I do??" I said, "Sure... Just look at the pictures and you'll piece it together from there. You don't have to worry about the meanings that they put in that little white book." He was amazed at this idea, and he immediately said, " Will you sit down with me right now so I can give you a reading?" Of course I said okay, so we sat together on the floor, right in the middle of his bedroom. We decided that he would do a 3-card reading, but I encouraged him to just do it his own way- however he wanted. He mixed the cards up really well and I noticed he cut the deck in a new place for each new card.

Then the most amazing thing happened: he really and truly did several readings for me, based solely on what he saw in the pictures. One of the times he lay the cards before I had even asked a question, and that was the best reading of all. It's such a beautiful lesson for me, since I tend to intellectualize too much at times. I even caught myself a couple times, looking at the cards and trying to remember if the tomahawk is swords or wands; then I remembered-- it doesn't matter. The messages he saw in the cards were clear and poignant, and the cards worked together so perfectly. In one of the readings, for instance, there was a "giving" card and then a card in which some women seemed to be planting corn seeds, and then the third showed a harvest. How lovely, and my son's explanation of these cards and how they worked together was even better.

This experience reminded me of something else, too. We really do each get our own messages, and it doesn't matter how we get them. This forum is SO helpful, but I am reminded that how another person would interpret a spread is not necessarily going to be how I would interpret it, and that is okay. There really isn't a "right" or "wrong." I have to keep reminding myself of that-- I can ask for advice or insight, but the buck still stops with me, if it's my spread.

I just thought I'd share this nice story. I heard him downstairs just now, telling his sister that he knows how to read tarot cards, and he just did it. So precious. :)

Little Hare

What a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL gift you have given your son.... the chance to read tarot in a supportive, loving nurturing environment! you ROCK! What a great mum! This is such a beautiful story!

Satine, you have made my morning!

kwesifriends

Wow thats a beautiful story. I wish your son will having more and more fun using his tarot.

celticnoodle

satine, I think that is a wonderful story! i enjoyed reading it very much, and I'm willing to bet your son won't be leaving the deck just laying around and not being used anymore! glad to see he's using and enjoying, AND giving good readings with it too!

mosaica

satine said:
"... Just look at the pictures and you'll piece it together from there. You don't have to worry about the meanings that they put in that little white book."

Satine, that is so cool. I'll have to remember your experience the next time I see my 11yo daughter working with her cards. I tend to get too caught up in the established meanings myself, and I'm sure she can sense that I think there's an overwhelming amount of learning involved.

I think one's own intuition may be the best place to begin when learning the tarot, and once a person has confidence in that, he or she can begin to learn the established meanings. Kids are probably so much better at that than many adults, especially the younger they are, before they've been taught so much that there are right ways and wrong ways to do things. We can kill children's intuition by teaching them to be perfectionists.

Wonderful story and good lesson for me!
Mosaica

satine

mosaica said:
Satine, that is so cool. I'll have to remember your experience the next time I see my 11yo daughter working with her cards. I tend to get too caught up in the established meanings myself, and I'm sure she can sense that I think there's an overwhelming amount of learning involved.

We can kill children's intuition by teaching them to be perfectionists.

Wonderful story and good lesson for me!
Mosaica

I agree. It amazed me to see how many details he saw in each picture. For one card he skimmed right past what was happening in the forefront of the card and started telling me about the tree branches in the background, how they were just beginning to bloom, etc. Another cards showed a man who appeared to be dead, hanging from a tree, but the sun was shining brightly on those who mourned; my son started talking about a sacrifice that was made but it was for a very good reason. The depth of his insights amazed me. I absolutely agree with your final sentence, and it's something I was also reminded of myself. :)

HearthCricket

satine~That is just wonderful! I really love what you said to him. That truly encouraged him to let his imagination and intuition flow and to go forward with tarot. I am sure the LWB must seem cumbersome to such a young one. He will probably be a better reader without its restraints. More importantly he sounds like he is enjoying himself. Children have an amazing field of perception and tarot allows them to tap into that better than any interactive game. This must be an exciting time for you both! Enjoy!!

sashie

You're an awesome mom. I second all the compliments you've received.

When I was young and learning, I completely burned myself out on books and making sure I was doing things 'right'. I definately think your son has the right idea. ( :

It really made me smile, to read that. Thanks so much for posting it.

That's so hip.

satine

sashie said:
You're an awesome mom. I second all the compliments you've received.

When I was young and learning, I completely burned myself out on books and making sure I was doing things 'right'. I definately think your son has the right idea. ( :

It really made me smile, to read that. Thanks so much for posting it.

That's so hip.

I didn't anticipate the compliments, but of course I appreciate them! :) It really did make me think about those who would suggest that you need years and years of intense study and practice to "become" a tarot reader. Yes, it's great to read about and meditate on topics related to the tarot, and of course to practice, but it's important to also keep in mind that a ten-year-old little boy can "read tarot" brilliantly by simply looking at the pictures and following his intuition. As I mentioned before, I tend to intellectualize things too much at times, so it was a really great reminder for me personally. :)

NightQueen

how wonderful! I intend to teach all 3 of my children if they are interested in tarot