Tarot decks not copyrighted

gregory

I wouldn't try either one without contacting the OTO. There has been a huge copyright issue with the Thoth recently and USG hasn't been able to print any decks while it was all sorted.

Zezina

OTO address for copyright permission?

gregory said:
I wouldn't try either one without contacting the OTO. There has been a huge copyright issue with the Thoth recently and USG hasn't been able to print any decks while it was all sorted.

It would be amazing to have proper permission to display Thoth card images on my blog, but who would I write to at the OTO?

*Z*

gregory

Goodness knows. PM grigori; he will know how to find out if anyone does.

minrice

Oh yes, 2012 is coming for USG and the RWS! I too am excited about that.

The others have already said it, and I agree. You'd have to be making tons of money for copyright to notice and make the effort to come after you. Wouldn't be worth their while.

photokat

midniteeye said:
that's rws, but what about thoth? a friend of mine is thinking about writing a book on the thoth deck, but she is not sure if she can show the color images of the entire deck. some told her that as long as the image are black and white, then it is okay, but you really cannot talk about the thoth deck without going into the colors.

can anyone tell me if it is okay to use the color images of the thoth deck in a book. furthermore, if not, then where to get the permission from? thanks.

Unless she is making a home printed booklet to pass out at Burning Man, I'd send your friend to this website

http://tyler.hrc.utexas.edu/us.cfm

and start things from there.

sistermoon

I wonder if anyone remembers a site I saw a while ago...There was a lady, from Czechoslovakia?, who made these extremely lush, plush, velvet tarot bags with images from some of the most loved & recognizable tarot decks on them. I remember thinking, "How does she sell these bags using other peoples' images on them?" Hmmm...

gregory

I am assuming you have your tongue in your cheek here ? Karen uses her own images... :)

One big issue with copyright is the Global Village - as the laws are not the same from country to country and given the internet, that has placed huge minefields in unexpected places. I believe - for instance - that legally the Waite deck is actually out of copyright in the US (whatever USGames says) but it is in EUROPE that it doesn't run out till 2010.
Also many paragraphs in the various copyright laws everywhere "forget" (didn't think of ?) images.... but the owners (or not) have taken others to court over this and won - or not...

Debra

gregory said:
I am assuming you have your tongue in your cheek here ? Karen uses her own images... :)

Um. Some of the baba-prague (Czech) bags have images from the Oswald Wirth and Rider Waite decks.

gregory

Debra said:
Um. Some of the baba-prague (Czech) bags have images from the Oswald Wirth and Rider Waite decks.
Oops. My bad.