Tarot Decks that STRAY

greatdane

Which tarot decks have you seen, and/or used, that you felt strayed so far afield from any main tarot structure as to not really be tarot?

Decks with renamed suits, images that didn't seem to match RWS, Thoth, Marseilles, but kind of made it up as they went along.

Tarot decks that without a large companion book, map and a compass to explain them were much more like an oracle.

GryffinSong

Mary-el

Metafizzypop

The Jungian Tarot. Bears no relationship to anything whatsoever.

Rose Lalonde

Tarot of the Origins changes all the suit names and has different meanings with only a LWB. I do dearly love that deck, though.

Rhapsodin

Edited. Sorry, misread one of the posts. Just TOO early of a Sunday morning....

:confused: :sleepy:

Apollonia

Which tarot decks have you seen, and/or used, that you felt strayed so far afield from any main tarot structure as to not really be tarot?

Decks with renamed suits, images that didn't seem to match RWS, Thoth, Marseilles, but kind of made it up as they went along.

Tarot decks that without a large companion book, map and a compass to explain them were much more like an oracle.
For me, the Merlin Tarot. The Majors were so beautiful, I was immediately drawn to it, but I was fairly new to card reading when I purchased it, and I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Reordered Majors (starting with The Moon of all cards), renamed suits (Fish, Serpents, Beasts, and Birds), and to quote the Aeclectic thumbnail description, "disappointingly repetitive and difficult to interpret intuitively."

The pips were just Celtic style line drawings with words like "Doubt" underneath which for me just killed any hope of ever getting anything else from that card.

My feeling is, if you began with this deck and learned it thoroughly, you would not be able to transfer that knowledge to other Tarot decks. Having learned Tarot with a traditional RWS style deck, I felt I was unable to transfer any of my knowledge to the Merlin deck. That to me makes it more like a one of a kind oracle.

velvetina

Dreampower Tarot

I like it, I use it, but its not Tarot.

greatdane

That's why I wanted to start this thread

So many decks even here in the DECK section to look at that don't resemble tarot, or if they keep the basic format, the images are so far off any tarot system I've seen.

I like something to be tarot, Lenormand, or just an oracle. It's like pick one....:).

The hybrids confuse me even more.

WolfyJames

The Faery Wicca Tarot. The majors are pretty but the minors are a made up oracle thingy and not tarot at all.

Starri Knytes

I have too many like this, and I'm getting really tired of searching through those companions with the teeny tiny print for accurate meanings .