Tarot deck speculators

Fatima

I am curious about people speculating with decks.
Is it a common thing? Are many people stocking up rare decks or holding on them with a view to realising a profit in the future?
I am not talking about those Ebay sellers selling bundles for a quick buck.
I am referring to the kind of approach one could have with fine wines or art work in general. Buying now thinking that it might be the next Picasso type of story...
I am asking because I know some people have huge collections, and you hear here and there about decks going OOP, how much they are going for etc. so I am wondering...
I only have one such deck, the Prediction Pack, which I love and use and that nobody likes anyways. But I was told, when I got it in a swap long ago, to "keep it as its value will increase with time".

Anyone relates?

F.

Alta

Decks that gain in value have to have been popular eough that folks know about them, but now are relatively scarce. The Prediction deck, as you mention, was never that popular so I am guessing will never be worth a lot. Also extremely small runs never reach into the general consciousness enough to get the kind of action that say the Greenwood used to get.
Lots of exceptions, but that seems to be the rule. Just being OOP doesn't make it valuable.

Fatima

Marion said:
Just being OOP doesn't make it valuable.

That's what I am wondering about...

F.

Abrac

Fatima said:
I am asking because I know some people have huge collections
If the plan is to make a profit from selling tarot decks, this seems like the safest bet. The trouble with antiques and collectibles is the fickleness of the market. What is hot today may be cold tomorrow. It's difficult to know. Having a lot of decks is like hedging your bets, or diversifying your portfolio.

I have no intention of trying to make a profit by selling tarots, but if I did, this is what I would do.

Abrac

Umbrae

As a retired stock broker/investment advisor I have to say that Tarot – is a very silly investment.

Buying on the speculation of increased demand and diminishing supply of Tarot is not even on par with antiques or art.

Should someone decide to reissue a deck…poof…your investment is gone.

Concrete example? Well if you bought a Hermetic on speculation – you just lost your shirt.

what if they re-issue the Greenwood tomorrow...oooops...

redflash

Umbrae said:

I wish they would, I think it's lovely, a reissue is the only way I could ever afford it !

Fatima

Umbrae said:
As a retired stock broker/investment advisor I have to say that Tarot – is a very silly investment.

Buying on the speculation of increased demand and diminishing supply of Tarot is not even on par with antiques or art.

Concrete example? Well if you bought a Hermetic on speculation – you just lost your shirt.

True, once the artist is dead, supply is cut off forever. I guess it would fall more in the collectible field than pure investment.
But I don't think it's that silly; beleive me I have seen much weirder stuff on B/Sheets that indeed did increase in value over time (I am an accountant).
And re-issuing a deck is not the same as an original version. If you look at the rare books industry: you can re-issue a book especially the very old ones any time. Still, people will pay fortunes for rare or old original editions... Why do some people pay millions for original Rembrandt but wouldn't give even a thousand for perfect or quasi-perfect reproductions... It's just not the same.

The whole topic came up the other day while discussing with some folks. They said that the whole world of esoterism and tarot in particular, was experiencing a sort "bubble" (virtually everybody and their dog read cards nowadays), and that we were nearing the top of the craze, and soon they'd be a kind of "crash" where people will loose interest in such things and change field. Some said a scandal would bring it about, others said something cooler will come out drawing in masses... etc.
Anyways, they went on talking about whether people with collections should "divest" now before the values go down (and keeping only those one reads with), or on the contrary, holding on to the collection because after the crash, one generation later or so, its value will increase like most memorabilia.

I find it a interesting topic even though I don't have a collection myself. I am especially interested in the idea of a Tarot bubble and its bursting.

F.

Fatima

redflash said:
I wish they would, I think it's lovely, a reissue is the only way I could ever afford it !

How much is it going for compared to beofre it went OOP?

F.

Annabelle

Umbrae said:

All of this is true . . . but I offer one exception.

Sometimes changes are made to a deck between its first printing and any subsequent printings. For example, the Margarete Petersen was first printed with aubergine borders, and later printings had grey borders. Many collectors - myself included - really, really wanted a copy with the aubergine borders, despite the easy availability of the grey-bordered edition. I ended up buying three copies - one with aubergine borders, and two with grey (one German, and one English).

From conversations I've seen here at AT, similar things happen with other decks as well - for example, the Ellen Cannon Reed Witches tarot was originally printed with no borders, and that seems to be the version everyone wants, despite the easy-to-find reprinting with black borders.

So, about the Greenwood - what happens if they do reprint it, but some sort of change is made (larger cards, or changes to some cards, or a change in the borders, etc.)? Then there would still be collectors who want the original, because of the differences.

All that aside, I don't look at tarot collecting as a monetary investment at all. There's just no way to speculate with any accuracy about what will become (or stay) valuable and what will not.

HearthCricket

My collection is hardly extensive compared to so many people on this forum, but I have more than I expected to purchase and have many more that I want. I keep getting hungry for more "eye candy" in the tarot field. But I collect for myself-my own interest in tarot, both as a tool for tapping into spirituality and possiblities, as well as for its artwork. Since the majority of decks are made Mass Market, I don't expect much value in them, compared to my book collection. But neither are collected to be sold for the hope of making money. When I sell decks it is only because I don't care for a style, have no more room, or have changed my own interest in type. Seriously, the only people I would ever sell tarot decks to are this forum. I can't think of anyone else who would enjoy them as much. As for my books (not related to tarot) and my Wee Forest Folk collection-they are for my own pleasure, too, and nothing else!