Why are playing cards not so popular?

Phoenix Rising

Interesting comments. I too had a few very accurate tarot readings, which did inspire me to learn the tarot as well. I suppose I'm very simple minded and the technical and esoteric depth of tarot was just too mind boggling. The imagery in tarot was very helpful in learning to interpret the cards. PC's allowed me to stretch my mind more, because there was nothing much to look at. But all the same..the most accurate readings I have had were with PC readers (in person that is), although on here, the readers have been excellent, so not taking any credit away from people here on the boards. The accurate tarot readings that I have had, they also used PC's.

I understand all of your reasons though, I had them myself. And being on a "tarot forum" with 11,000 members, I think we're a little outnumbered. Not to worry it's all in good will and friendship.

cheers
PR

Little Baron

As you probably remember PR, I did partisipate in some of the early draws, readings and chats with playing cards here. And they still fascinate me. So much so that I bought a lovely box with a set in while on holiday, recently.

And I keep thinking about going back to them.

What often becomes a problem with tarot is the pictures. In that I can never decide which deck is the right one for me. Without all of that, I can just get on with the cards and messages. So I often think the pc's is the way forward for me.

And I think that they hold more mystery. Even a non-reader could give their idea about what the significance of Waite's '3 of Swords' or '2 of Cups' mean. And probably not be far off.

But playing cards keep it all well hidden. There is more mystery. And that is why I have found them creepy and straight talking in the past.

Now, yes, I would like to get back into it. Very much.

But if you do not go with the HedgeWitchery site, where do you go?

If anyone here wants to share their knowledge in basic lessons as part of study, right from the start, I am all ears!

LB

Phoenix Rising

Hey little Buddha...of course I remember your participation, and I was waiting for your reply too.

I'm using Personal Prophecy method by Deborah Leigh..I've started a few threads about it and given the link Here
Also her technique for reading the court cards link Here is the best one I've come across and certainly makes reading the cards easier.

be good to get things going again.

Little Baron

Ok. PR. I'm in.

I have had a few new tarot decks of late and I am not getting much from them. I think I need to wipe the slate clean and try this.

I just looked through the website page. Is that everything you need to know to get yourself going?

Was just wondering, what makes this site's way of working different and better than the HedgeWitchery one? Is it more balanced in interpretation?

Is it possible to work through the lessons and be good enough to perform readings by the end or is there a lot more material that needs to be obtained?

LB

Phoenix Rising

Hi LB

That web page, was all I used to get myself going..as well as using daily readings to see a pattern forming. Her meanings are based on mostly traditional that has been modernised for today. I have had alot of correspondence from her as well and she has been very supportive and helpful.

It is more balanced..it doesn't go by numerology so much, only if there are 2 or more of the "same number" in a layout, where she takes more notice of the message, as it is doubled or multiplied. more intense I guess.

However I later bought her book "Personal Prophecy: creating your own destiny" and was written in a very easy writing style..you can also "Browse before buy" at iuniverse the whole book! It's can be as easy as reading 1+1+1

cheers

Debra

Here's a link: http://www.hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html

The first time I ever saw someone read the cards, she used playing cards. I'd had my Rider-Waite deck and handy go-with book for several years and was surprised to see the reader for my friend use just a plain deck of cards. My friend was hanging on this woman's every word, and I just couldn't see why.

Here's my take: Playing cards are less participatory, maybe less "democratic" in a sense. No matter how one looks at the 3 of spades, it's just a 3 of spades *unless* you're read into its meaning by, well, the card reader. But a pictoral deck gives you access. You can see for yourself what's evoked by that image, and if the reader thinks the image is distorting, or requires explanation, or whatever, well, then, it's a conversation you can have together. (One reason people don't like unillustrated pips). I've also been surprised at times by the details on a card that catch the eye of the person I'm reading for--it's their spread, and they see the initials of a former girlfriend in the High Priestess's "B J" or an animal or person that reminds them of something in their lives.

It all really comes down, I think, to two things:
How do you think these cards actually WORK?
And what do you see as the role of the reader and of the person read for?

Little Baron

Thanks PR.

If the site is enough for now, then that is good as I can't afford any more books right now. I am in the process of printing it out.

Will look through with a nice cup of nettle tea in a while.

How do you recommend I learn it? Would you take a break in between suits?
Or all in one go?

LB

Phoenix Rising

LB: What I did mate..was I wrote the key word on each of the cards...but as you will see when you read each of the explanation she has for them, she'll get you too feel it and understand the meaning. Although that web page will explain it all. and that's all you need to do. Of course she always works in trios. Read the "reading court card thread" after that..and I guarantee, it will make your reading alot easier.

Debra: Thanks for your opinions..once again interesting. The method in which you use does make a difference..I have tried the Hedgewytchery, it works for some, it didn't for me. The PC's are flexible, no matter what method you use, it will respond...Tarot has fixed basic meanings for every deck just about..The 10 pentacles in all those decks will always have the same basic meaning. The 10 of clubs in PC's can have whatever you give it. Having not many pictorial clues allows you to use your intuition more and probably develop it faster...although that is just my opinion. Having used both tarot and PC's I certainly have seen a difference.
All I can say is it does work...and no different from tarot in that respect.

Abrac

Kenny said:
I think it might be that they're not mysterious in the way tarot cards are. For example: if you go to someone for a reading and then find they pull out a deck of playing cards most people would think they want to play 21s or patience rather than telling them about so and so whom they fancy...
Kenny I was thinking a little along this line. The biggest difference between playing cards and the Tarot are the 22 Trumps containing a mysterious allegorical story. When people use playing cards it is mainly to get a direct answer to a question, nothing more nothing less. However, with the Tarot you get answers plus a whole lot more. Speaking personally, it is this 22-card allegory that intrigues me and keeps my attention riveted. I don't have anything against playing cards, it's just that the Tarot is what really fascinates me.

Papageno

Debra said:
Here's a link: http://www.hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html

The first time I ever saw someone read the cards, she used playing cards. I'd had my Rider-Waite deck and handy go-with book for several years and was surprised to see the reader for my friend use just a plain deck of cards. My friend was hanging on this woman's every word, and I just couldn't see why.

Here's my take: Playing cards are less participatory, maybe less "democratic" in a sense. No matter how one looks at the 3 of spades, it's just a 3 of spades *unless* you're read into its meaning by, well, the card reader. But a pictoral deck gives you access. You can see for yourself what's evoked by that image, and if the reader thinks the image is distorting, or requires explanation, or whatever, well, then, it's a conversation you can have together. (One reason people don't like unillustrated pips). I've also been surprised at times by the details on a card that catch the eye of the person I'm reading for--it's their spread, and they see the initials of a former girlfriend in the High Priestess's "B J" or an animal or person that reminds them of something in their lives.

It all really comes down, I think, to two things:
How do you think these cards actually WORK?
And what do you see as the role of the reader and of the person read for?

excellent observations. although I never used pc's to read I can easily see how "un-democratic" their use would be, and that underscores part of the beauty of tarot cards, when your client can catch a meaningful glimpse of a card's detail.
how the pc's actually work could be answered with another question, did the people who read with both pc's and tarot start out with standard playing cards and move on to tarot or vice versa? I think that will be very revealing.

the role of the querent and reader, wow, I suspect that could be a whole thread unto itself.