Do you get tired after reading?

Lunar*ivy

Introvert for sure

I'll bet this differs depending on whether or not someone is an Introvert, Extrovert, or Androvert.

Barleywine, which one would you describe yourself as, if you don't mind my asking?

Is this because introverts dont exude as much energy to begin with? This makes total sense. I get drained alot and i only read for myself so far but its totally exausting!!

MandMaud

Not sure about the intro/extravert distinction (though I could well believe it), but I wonder if it varies according to how experienced a reader is? What do you all think?

MaileSkye

But to answer the question about being tired from reading, I do get tired after a few. But not from the typing. It just sort of taps out my reading energy. In person there's sort of an energy exchange so I can do more in-person readings without tiring than email readings. Email readings are more of a stretch for me.

I agree that the energy exchange that occurs with an in-person reading goes a long way. Email readings drain me, however I also find that I'm a stronger reader when I'm able to type up the reading. I am a writer by nature, and when I read someone via email or chat, I get into the zone. The lack of energy exchange drains me, but some of my best readings have been via email.

I am a natural extrovert with a lot of introvert traits/hobbies.

Cocobird55

I always get drained by in person readings. Maybe because I'm an introvert?

I'm doing readings on Didilabs, and I do three or four a day. I do that for two days, and then I need a rest. It depends on the actual readings how drained that I get.

Emeraud

Short answer, yes :)

Explanation: I did a reading for a friend for the first time yesterday in the middle of the day, and went on to do other things. When I had taken a shower and got into bed at the end of the day I felt like I could finally let go of being on, so I cried. There wasn't anything terrible revealed in the reading. I just needed to be plugged into someone else's energy, and when I am emotionally spent, I cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barleywine

Not sure about the intro/extravert distinction (though I could well believe it), but I wonder if it varies according to how experienced a reader is? What do you all think?

You could be right. I don't find myself groping for meaning too much or beating my head against the wall of an obscure reading. I usually find something to say even if it's just "bridging" words while I think (quickly), which keeps the stress low. It's probably stress that causes fatigue in face-to-face readings more than anything else.

violetdaisy

I learned to type when I was 15 and I've always typed throughout my life so I kind of like it. I do get tired when I've done a full day of it, though, and when my laptop repeatedly decides I've given it a command when I haven't on this laptop. I guess that means I've been typing for 56 years now. :rolleyes: Geez, am I really that old?

But to answer the question about being tired from reading, I do get tired after a few. But not from the typing. It just sort of taps out my reading energy. In person there's sort of an energy exchange so I can do more in-person readings without tiring than email readings. Email readings are more of a stretch for me.

I think I fall into this category. Except I've only been typing for 25 years and not 56. I can do about 55wpm right now if I want to; my max when I was using that skill regularly was just under 70wpm (medical transcription.) I like that I can "go back" to writing what I was writing....better pace myself so that I don't become mentally exhausted.

I don't have to be "on" the whole time. Backspace, edit, cut & paste, save, delete...and if I proofread less awkward wording. In person, I wander....where my mind wanders....not always the best option. That might change with more experience in person though.

RiverRunsDeep

I mostly read for myself, which is not exhausting at all since it involves no speaking, typing, or interaction. :)

I have only read for others here on the forum (reading circles), and yes, it is exhausting, which is why I haven't participated in a while. Because there are a few weeks in which to prepare the reading, it is simply too much time to think about it, then think about it again, then type it one way, then think of a better way of typing it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

celticnoodle

I usually just read for myself and I tend to make it short. But yesterday I read for several people. After an hour I was shaking and I really had to eat something (very unusual for me). I got really tired. I think it is interesting. I feel like I really did something.

I was thinking that I should read more for others but this seems a little alarming. It's funny that the cards actually told me it would happen but I was still surprised.

Does this happen to you? Why do you think it happens?

Yes, this happens to me, specifically if I am reading for a number of people one right after another. And, sometimes even when I am only reading for one person-as there are some people whom seem to drain me of my energy before we even START the reading! We refer to them as the "Psychic Vampires". :D

Most of those psychic vampires are just very intense people, and I am sure its due to my being an empath too--but the minute I shake their hand and bring them to the table to read, I feel empty of energy.

Why does it happen? Well there is no doubt that its an exchange of energy and I, as the reader pick up on their energy big time. As an empath, I often also immediately know and feel their energies--their health issues, their general state of mind, etc. Sometimes it is so draining, that I always keep a bottle of water, a bottle of coke (for INSTANT sugar high) and something to eat--crackers, chips, cookies, candy. Yeah, I know the sugar is not the best way to go about it--but if I am reading in a store or somewhere public, its more convenient. Though I often will also pack the small applesauce single serve packs and a spoon. :D

Next time you are going to read for a group of people, one by one--make sure you pack something to eat and drink--to help you along. Also, in between each person, get up and and walk around a wee bit--and take some deep breaths. I like to re-ground myself between readings for a group, too and I walk around a bit, take some deep breaths, and close my eyes for a few seconds to help me get back to *normal*. Then, start the next reading.

Emeraud, sometimes, I also cry after reading for people. AND, like you--for no particular big reason. It may have been a good reading--happy...but I feel like crying! IF you are able to shower AFTER reading a group--so much the better. that is very relaxing and cleansing. Just imagine the water washing away all the energies you picked up from the people you read and it is washing it down the drain and away from you.

MandMaud

You could be right. I don't find myself groping for meaning too much or beating my head against the wall of an obscure reading. I usually find something to say even if it's just "bridging" words while I think (quickly), which keeps the stress low. It's probably stress that causes fatigue in face-to-face readings more than anything else.

That's funny, I have been the other way round. It didn't tire me noticeably when I was first learning. I'm not talking about face to face, though, as I've had hardly any opportunity to practise that way. But I am talking about reading for others rather than for myself. I have thought it takes more out of me now because I'm "free" to put myself into it, my mind not being tied up working things out.

Mind you, I'm still definitely in the beginner category (though comfortable and confident, well past looking up meanings mId-reading) and so maybe I'll find this changes as the years go past. :)

Two different kinds of energy, mental concentration and emotional/empathic or whatever it is exactly. In this thread people are divided as to which they're mentioning