How are the cards numbered?

SaskMick

How "old" would it have to be to count for you ?

I would consider any practise going back more than 500 years as being old, but
I think I have been using the wrong term , I should have been more specific and used ancient rather than just old.

Dowsing has been around for much longer than tarot, I think the same force is behind it. I have used the rods for advise for the last 4 years.

Tanga

SaskMick - on the one hand you have arrived here wildly wanting to become an amazing Tarot reader.
But on the other - you don't want to use Tarot cards??? - Ehh? (having decided it's not "old enough" and that the imagery is too disturbing?)
...I don't quite compute...

:joke: (I'm sorry).

From history - the cards are quite old (not REALLY old). Using them for divinatory purposes (with all it's numerology, astrology, and hermeticism etc. added in) is quite new (apparently).
And so what?
Plus one can use cards with new imagery - rather than the older versions...

You say: "I feel that we should revere the force itself - not so much the cards" Aha. - what are you trying to tell us? We're all doing it wrong by interpretation through the pictures?
Lol.
IMO - "the force" is there - doesn't matter what medium you use.
And here - our medium is the cards. Obviously. It's a Tarot Forum.

Why don't you contact your original Tarot reader (Ofcourse - that might have been yonks ago now and not be possible) - and ask them if they can teach you exactly how they do it??

Because really - I'm getting the feeling that no answer here - from any of us (who all LOVE our decks) will be satisfactory to you.

:)

Or - As has been suggested - choose a numbering system proffered here - and go off and study numerology around it etc.
Make your own numerology based reading style.

:livelong:

**Dowsing and Tarot.... I wouldn't say they're quite the same...
though I couldn't begin to argue why.
(I dowse too and so do alot of other people here. check out 'Divination' threads.
You could "Tarot with a pendulum" or whatever other tool you use...over a set of the equivalent numbers - ofcourse).

Alta

What Tanga said. :)

This is really a forum for people who use Tarot cards. I'm not sure if you're trying to convince us or convince yourself.

I suggest that when you get your deck of cards, and you should also get a basic book to go with it, try studying them and see if it answers your question. It was suggested above, if you really want to use blank card with the numbers one through 78, then go back to your original reader and see if they can explain their method.

The Tarot is a system, numerology is part of it but the actual images on the cards are deeply symbolic, at least in the better decks and are a part of the system. Leaving out the images leaves out a tremendous amount of information, these images reach down into our deepest core.

SaskMick

SaskMick - on the one hand you have arrived here wildly wanting to become an amazing Tarot reader.
But on the other - you don't want to use Tarot cards??? - Ehh? (having decided it's not "old enough" and that the imagery is too disturbing?)
...I don't quite compute...

:joke: (I'm sorry).

From history - the cards are quite old (not REALLY old). Using them for divinatory purposes is quite new (apparently).
And so what?
Plus one can use cards with new imagery - rather than the older versions...

"I feel that we should revere the force itself - not so much the cards" - so what are you trying to tell us? We're all doing it wrong by looking at the pictures?
Lol.
IMO - "the force" is there - doesn't matter what medium you use.
And here - our medium is the cards. Obviously. It's a Tarot Forum.

Why don't you contact your original Tarot reader (Ofcourse - that might have been yonks ago now and not be possible) - and ask them if they can teach you exactly how they do it??

Because really - I'm getting the feeling that no answer here - from any of us (who all LOVE our decks) will be satisfactory to you.

:)

Or - As has been suggested - choose a system proffered here - and go off and study numerology around it.
Make your own numerology based reading style.

:livelong:

In what way did I arrive here wildly exactly ? :)... It's true that I want to be an amazing tarot cars reader, I think we all do.

If I could contact my original tarot reader I would without hesitation, it's not possible unfortunately.

As for the decks, I think fairies and dragons and the like on tarot cards only serve to belittle, they make tarot look like a silly thing, and put tarot in the realm of little girls toys. ............ I take tarot seriously, not as a joke.

Alta

Then you need to purchase a serious deck. Get a Marseille, a Thoth or a Rider-Waite.

SaskMick

What Tanga said. :)

This is really a forum for people who use Tarot cards. I'm not sure if you're trying to convince us or convince yourself.

I suggest that when you get your deck of cards, and you should also get a basic book to go with it, try studying them and see if it answers your question. It was suggested above, if you really want to use blank card with the numbers one through 78, then go back to your original reader and see if they can explain their method.

The Tarot is a system, numerology is part of it but the actual images on the cards are deeply symbolic, at least in the better decks and are a part of the system. Leaving out the images leaves out a tremendous amount of information, these images reach down into our deepest core.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I have just given my opinion... I ordered a book at the same time as I ordered the cards.

SaskMick

Then you need to purchase a serious deck. Get a Marseille, a Thoth or a Rider-Waite.

I ordered a Morgan Greer deck. I bought it because it was basic looking and comes in a tin. I like that, it that makes it practical.. I think it's based on the Rider Wait deck.

gregory

As for the decks, I think fairies and dragons and the like on tarot cards only serve to belittle, they make tarot look like a silly thing, and put tarot in the realm of little girls toys. ............ I take tarot seriously, not as a joke.
I don't take it as a joke AT ALL. I have a wide variety of decks. One of the most shocking and spot on readings I ever got was from a fairy deck (Mystic Faeries). I can assure you it didn't feel at all like a little girl's toy. My sitter was very shaken.

I take all my readings very seriously, and the imagery on all my decks works - it's what you put in that makes the difference. The creators of many of the decks you see as silly-looking put a lot of real knowledge and work into them.

I'd suggest - if you do plan to get serious - that Paul Huson's nook Mystical Origins of the Tarot might give you a bit more of the history and background than you have found so far, as well as a great deal of information you will find useful when reading.

Which book have you ordered ? ETA the Morgan Greer is a very fine deck.

SaskMick

I ordered a Morgan Greer deck. I bought it because it was basic looking and comes in a tin. I like that, it makes it practical.. I think it's based on the Rider Wait deck.

SaskMick

I don't take it as a joke AT ALL. I have a wide variety of decks. One of the most shocking and spot on readings I ever got was from a fairy deck (Mystic Faeries). I can assure you it didn't feel at all like a little girl's toy. My sitter was very shaken.

I take all my readings very seriously, and the imagery on all my decks works - it's what you put in that makes the difference. The creators of many of the decks you see as silly-looking put a lot of real knowledge and work into them.

I'd suggest - if you do plan to get serious - that Paul Huson's nook Mystical Origins of the Tarot might give you a bit more of the history and background than you have found so far, as well as a great deal of information you will find useful when reading.

Which book have you ordered ? ETA the Morgan Greer is a very fine deck.

I'm glad you take the cards seriously and have no doubt that they will all work, but I think Mystic Faeries and the like don't do tarot any favours. I'm pleased you approve of the Morgan Greer deck.

I ordered a beginners book, Joan Bunning is the author. I will take a look at the Paul Huson book. Thanks :)