Does everyone use spreads?

AraLuck

I am not sure if this has been discussed here...

But is this really essential? I usually think of my question or that of my sitter and just spread it... and for timing I also spread it left to right in a sort of chronological order. It's not always worked spot on, but it confuses me less than reading timings from the actual cards. Would love to know others' opinions!

Chrystella

I think any time you lay down cards, it's a spread. It may not be a well-defined spread or a spread with a name, but it's still a spread.

So, having said that, yes, I always use a spread, and usually a well-defined one that I've chosen depending on what the reading is for. I like various kinds of three card spreads and the Celtic Cross.

Barleywine

Yes, but not always with defined positions or sequences. For example, I don't always read a three-card spread as a moving time-line. Genrally speaking, though, I use the Celtic Cross most often, followed by a number of topic-specific layouts that I created. I prefer larger spreads, and having some structure aids in organizing the reading in a more practical way. I see tarot reading as imaginative story-telling, so having a logical beginning, middle and end makes the most sense. Free-form "stream of consciousness" has never been my style.

violetdaisy

Agree that anytime you lay cards to read it's a spread. Sometimes I use formal spreads, with consistent positions and sometimes I make a 3 card "on the fly" to suit the question. Actually somewhere in a thread on this site is a list of 100 3-card spread options.

celticnoodle

I think any time you lay down cards, it's a spread. It may not be a well-defined spread or a spread with a name, but it's still a spread.

So, having said that, yes, I always use a spread, and usually a well-defined one that I've chosen depending on what the reading is for. I like various kinds of three card spreads and the Celtic Cross.

I like this answer that whenever you throw down cards it is a spread. I don't think I really ever thought of it like this.

Analuck, I was going to post that no, I do not use spreads--but after reading Chrystella, I guess I do! With my tarot cards, I like to just throw out cards 3 at a time and read them together. I continue throwing more cards down till I feel it is done.

Some of my oracle decks I will use a spread, and with the Lenormand I love using the G.T. I find it challenging to read with, but I am also a beginner with Lenormand too.

I think it is quite okay to read either way--with a 'spread' or just throwing out cards till you feel its done--whether this is 1 card or many cards.

Ace

I usually know before hand how I want to lay out cards and what they will mean (That is what meaning each position will signify.) But not everyone does. My mentor believed you put cards down where they feel like they should go, then turn them over and see what the reading is. The cards form their own pattern.

If it works for you, use it.

barb

AraLuck

I have to say this is kind of the way I view things too... I am more into 3 cards and I do like a cross-shaped one for relationships (5 cards).

Cannot get my head round the Celtic Cross!! :/

AraLuck

Yes, but not always with defined positions or sequences. For example, I don't always read a three-card spread as a moving time-line. Genrally speaking, though, I use the Celtic Cross most often, followed by a number of topic-specific layouts that I created. I prefer larger spreads, and having some structure aids in organizing the reading in a more practical way. I see tarot reading as imaginative story-telling, so having a logical beginning, middle and end makes the most sense. Free-form "stream of consciousness" has never been my style.

What kind of structure aids?

AraLuck

Agree that anytime you lay cards to read it's a spread. Sometimes I use formal spreads, with consistent positions and sometimes I make a 3 card "on the fly" to suit the question. Actually somewhere in a thread on this site is a list of 100 3-card spread options.

Yep, I think I may have seen it somewhere. But I tend to feel like Tarot is a bit like salsa... for instance, I cannot think about the rhythm and movement if I have to count the steps! LOL... I do need a structure for the cards, but I tend to just spread them out and listen/read what they want to say, in the order of my questions, so to speak.

I am still new though, so I am feeling like I want to know more about the cards before I start experimenting with more structured readings...

AraLuck

I like this answer that whenever you throw down cards it is a spread. I don't think I really ever thought of it like this.

Analuck, I was going to post that no, I do not use spreads--but after reading Chrystella, I guess I do! With my tarot cards, I like to just throw out cards 3 at a time and read them together. I continue throwing more cards down till I feel it is done.

Some of my oracle decks I will use a spread, and with the Lenormand I love using the G.T. I find it challenging to read with, but I am also a beginner with Lenormand too.

I think it is quite okay to read either way--with a 'spread' or just throwing out cards till you feel its done--whether this is 1 card or many cards.

I like!!
What is G.T??