are there psychic detectives using tarot

Smiling

@Daniel-

Kind of funny that the article you linked ends this way, since while it tries to debunk all psychics, it's inferring that a detective benefits from using his own intuition, too! Typical, right? :D

"And a good detective’s hunch is 100 times more likely to solve a case than a well-meaning psychic’s visitation."

danieljuk

I was amused by that as well Smiling :) Both psychics and psychological profiling don't bring measurable results but going on evidence and on the detective's hunch (intuition) has the best success :)

MandMaud

And we haven't considered the possibility that a psychic may join the police force and become a detective - or a tarot (or Lenormand) reader! :D

Locating evidence and using it a criminal case to convict a defendant all must follow the rules of evidence.
I think it's true society as a whole needs to become more loving and respectful of others and the planet. However, the justice system, at least in the US, has specific safeguards in place in order to keep bias and personal feelings out of a courtroom.

In this way, I can understand why tarot is not a credible avenue by which to obtain evidence to convict someone for a crime. I wouldn't want a jury relying on a tarot card reading to decide if I committed a crime.

Nor would I! I completely agree wtih all you say about court cases. But the investigation doesn't happen in court. I should think if a psychic said "Dig in that field before you dredge the river," I'd give it a try in the absence of any other way of deciding. Once they've got the body (for example), then it's the turn of forensics and everything else.

Read Dean Radin's books. Very very enlightening about this kind of stuff. People aren't crazy but they've been conditioned to think negatively that anything they can't feel with their bodies, see with their eyes or taste is bunk.

There's also the point that a person can't be lying if they can show empirical proof of their claims. (I saw 'The Crucible yesterday... a sobering reminder that even the individual often doesn't know whether they're lying. :( The human psyche is a very complex beast.)

There have been lots of instances where, if a psychic contacted the police and the detectives were really stymied, they've at least checked out what the psychic told them.

That's what I mean. :)

last year there was quite a critical report in the UK about using psychics and mediums for detective work or for leads in crimes. It showed that often it wasted money and time

Museums, theatres, paintings, ballet, and doing music in schools waste waste money and time too, remember. :mad::mad: (Er... that bit's off topic. :))

CosmicBeing

I wouldn't be shocked if a detective was involved in metaphysical practices (i consider divination this)....but if it was a detective going to a psychic and employing them. I think that is less likely. I think it has happened but not so much.

Also a lot happens in a investigation that is not questioned. If they search a field...the police officer could just say.. i want to check certain fields that I think is a perfect dumping ground. Even though some cards or a psychic directed him/her to check that field.

At the end of the day a court is just looking at the evidence, interviews, and the science that goes behind convicting it. A lot happens in the investigation that never reaches the court.

Also police offers use their own gut feeling/intuition when interviewing someone or just figuring out where to look next. It could be they are reading small hints in their surrounding that buries inside their subconscious and slowly comes through the conscious mind in a way that we call "intuition"...but I do think a degree of intuition of the own investigator plays into investigating the case. Just at the end of the day the science, interviews, and all the other evidence is what is used to convict someone not feelings.

But, i don't think it's out probably to think a detective their self might pull cards on the issue or use their own intuition to help find a way to crack the case and solve it.

What hurts a case is when a detective doesn't investigate other possibilities or avenues because they are relying too much on their own opinion and/or feelings of a case which gives them tunnel vision.

Justice is not perfect and it's not fault free.

Laurelle

And we haven't considered the possibility that a psychic may join the police force and become a detective - or a tarot (or Lenormand) reader! :D
)

That's a great idea. If you have a feeling you can investigate to find evidence for it. I actually do that in my own private life :) if I get a premonition or a feeling, I look for things that confirm it. This way people aren't left thinking "she's investigated me through google,"

Grizabella

last year there was quite a critical report in the UK about using psychics and mediums for detective work or for leads in crimes. It showed that often it wasted money and time and in some famous crimes, it had sent investigations in the wrong direction with false leads! Statistically the outcomes were worse than not using them. However the Royal College of Policing issued a response saying that psychics and mediums should be taken into account. There is an article exploring both sides here

They don't mention the tools used sadly just that it's psychics and mediums. But bringing it back to AT, we have had threads where people have used Tarot to find things and someone posts a card and people discuss it. It is fascinating the number of ways you can look at a card and get many different locations or crime clues from it! But I do think people using their intuitive feeling in the divination "missing item" threads seems to get more specific than the tarot! However we have found people's stuff sometimes on AT using tarot, oracles and just intuition, scrying and other methods! I am not sure what our success rate overall is though :p

Interesting. This reminds me of something I was thinking of the other day. Namely that whenever we ask Tarot about a murder or missing person, Tarot just doesn't seem to provide much for some reason. I've found that to be true in my own readings when I've asked about those topics and seen it in posts here.

I was amused by that as well Smiling :) Both psychics and psychological profiling don't bring measurable results but going on evidence and on the detective's hunch (intuition) has the best success :)

Actually, psychological profiling has shown to be extremely useful. Here in the US anyway. Our cops use profiling a lot, and especially in serial murders with very substantial positive results. It's extremely common to use profiling here and the results are amazing.

Smiling

Originally Posted by MandMaud
And we haven't considered the possibility that a psychic may join the police force and become a detective - or a tarot (or Lenormand) reader!

Interesting observation, and I wouldn't be surprised. I know a couple detectives that are friends of the family who are some of the most perceptive, intuitive people I know. :)

nuttyprofessor

last year there was quite a critical report in the UK about using psychics and mediums for detective work or for leads in crimes. It showed that often it wasted money and time and in some famous crimes, it had sent investigations in the wrong direction with false leads! Statistically the outcomes were worse than not using them. However the Royal College of Policing issued a response saying that psychics and mediums should be taken into account. There is an article exploring both sides here

I am using reversals in order to be able to do real cartomancy. If tarot cards really would show clues, than they should be useful to police, but we can be sure that is not the case.

I think we should be honest about the magic reach of tarot. Earlier there was the thread about the privacy of celebrities with regard to tarot divination, and on basis of the above we can conclude that this is just bull.

I do believe in tarot, but I also like to be realistic. It seems to me that the paranormal cartomancy only works when the tarotist and the cards are in touch with the energyfield of the querent. It might be possible that this connection can be over the internet, instead of live, but I am not sure. Answering questions about third persons is dubious, as family of missing persons have had no success with psychic detectives.

MandMaud

Interesting observation, and I wouldn't be surprised. I know a couple detectives that are friends of the family who are some of the most perceptive, intuitive people I know. :)

Sorry, I missed that you replied! Reminds me of some doctors and other health professionals, that I've suspected of struggling to keep unorthodox advice out of what they say, while still advising it. ;)

I am using reversals in order to be able to do real cartomancy. If tarot cards really would show clues, than they should be useful to police, but we can be sure that is not the case.

I think we should be honest about the magic reach of tarot. Earlier there was the thread about the privacy of celebrities with regard to tarot divination, and on basis of the above we can conclude that this is just bull.

nuttyprofessor, not sure what you mean by "real cartomancy"? I understand cartomancy as reading the cards, unless you mean specifically playing cards, or specifically telling the future? (Definitions call it "fortune-telling or divination" and those are open to interpretation!)

I do believe in tarot, but I also like to be realistic. It seems to me that the paranormal cartomancy only works when the tarotist and the cards are in touch with the energyfield of the querent. It might be possible that this connection can be over the internet, instead of live, but I am not sure. Answering questions about third persons is dubious, as family of missing persons have had no success with psychic detectives.

I'd agree about the energy field; personally I can't do it (with any accuracy to speak of) without "tuning in"; I get the impression some readers do, though. But I can say from experience that connection over the internet is possible. Almost all the readings I've done have been online, for people I've never met in person, mostly people I've never even "met" online (= had an online conversation with.

But I wouldn't dream of using tarot - myself - when the outcome mattered to someone's life. I'd have a go at finding people because the worst that can happen is going to where the cards say, and not finding them there. But I would never speak out on what happened when there were no witnesses, say - that is hubris. We can be wrong. Just as I'd never *say* in public that someone was bullying their children, even if I was completely certain in my own mind (one of the things I intuitive see very easily, and I've had corroboration often enough that I rely on this sense) - because of the potential damage done by saying so if it wasn't true.

nuttyprofessor

nuttyprofessor, not sure what you mean by "real cartomancy"? I understand cartomancy as reading the cards, unless you mean specifically playing cards, or specifically telling the future? (Definitions call it "fortune-telling or divination" and those are open to interpretation!)
Hi Mandmoud, thanks for reacting. I was waiting very eagerly for response, as this is a topic that is of real importance. We like to have confidence when doing tarot, and that can only grow if we practise genuinely.

By cartomancy I mean that the cards point to a considerable degree to the solution or answer, instead of that the cards trigger hunches in the diviner or (s)he is doing coldreading. Ofcourse the question can be broadened to include all forms of divination.

But I can say from experience that connection over the internet is possible. Almost all the readings I've done have been online, for people I've never met in person, mostly people I've never even "met" online (= had an online conversation with.
I agree with you, but with reservation. I have been frequently on the exchange here, and have been doing rather well, but am not sure whether this is due for a great deal to the kindness of the querent, to sheer luck and subconscious coldreading. And there have also been misses. Probably online readings go a lot better if you feel a relationship with the questioner. But what keeps nagging me, is the fact that there is no scientific evidence for its truth, and a lot of denial from the police. But maybe the positive thing is that we don't plunge in a fake world of psychism, and can get a picture of what is and what is not possible with tarot.