Theory / survey regarding customs charges.

gregory

<frown> It *is* double-dipping: the government ends up spending both charges, yes? Sounds deeply suspect to me. Don't let our public servants know or they'll do it too. Now, I just find they occasionally question or destroy things of mine. Which doesn't happen often - I'm resigning myself to being careful about what I buy from overseas <sigh>.
No - the UK post office has been effectively privatised, and it HAS to make a profit to avoid the lovely government insisting on allowing even MORE competitors to work against it. This would in turn threaten rural deliveries, as already there are about a million competing parcel services - who, please note, don't trouble themselves with doing this kind of crap on behalf of customs. They just cherry pick the services with most profit, leaving the PO legally obliged to maintain door to door delivery to the Outer Hebrides and the Scilly Isles. Which is one of the things that means prices rise - the easy stuff is picked off by other companies who offer business ridiculously cheap rates. At the moment, not a lot of competitors do letters - I THINK ordinary people are not allowed to send that way. But if they are allowed to in the end, the PO will be left with ONLY places like the Hebrides - and ironically, these competitors pay the PO to finish the delivery chain to places like mine - because they don't want to actually DELIVER to rural areas....

Mess ? Don't get me started. But the money they get goes back into the Post Office, NOT to the government, is all.

gregory

OK so - Just got my Tabula Mundi with no charges at all (UK.) There are two parcels at the post office waiting for me to pay and shockingly it's been so long I forget what they are....! And I have a slew of other outside the EU parcels (I had a birthday...) - not all tarot - three were in USPS priority mailing boxes, two of them declared at WAY over the UK limit, with no charges.

Random does not begin....

gregory

Good morning. I have a REAL theory about what attracts attention.

The two packages were indeed decks :| Both sent from the states. Both in bubblewrap envelopes. But where they differ from the ones that made it through is - both had tracking. And both tracking numbers were ON THE SLIP I HAD TO SIGN.

I honestly can't recall if the Tabula did - I imagine so but I've burned the box - but some with higher values than these and no tracking got through just fine.

In the past I have never opted for tracking, but it does seem to come by default these days. I am happy to take the risk and shall now make a point of asking for none. The only thing I ever had that was TOTALLY and permanently lost had tracking, so....

earthair

You might be on to something there.
Although my Tabula Mundi was tracked.
Maybe HMRC think if the sender didn't bother to track it, it isn't worth anything?
Can someone from the US send me a Tracked parcel of air, value $0 to test the theory please?! })

earthair

Just received a package, tracked, value $65, in a bubble bag from the US- and no customs charges! :party: