Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 279 : December 3 - December 9

RiverRunsDeep

Thank you all for the warm welcomes!!!

Just starting on my journey with these and I think I'm going to love it!

Whoops, I didn't recognize you for a minute! :D I love the new username you chose!

So far, so good. As I mentioned in a different topic thread, I recently trimmed this deck which has really brought me back to using it. I love it borderless, though I know and appreciate that not everyone is a "trimmer." But these cards in a spread seem to blend together so well when they're trimmed. Even trimmed there's still a tiny Londa Marks close to the bottom on the right hand side. I guess I'll just learn to ignore that.
My first one card draw was The Hanged Man. Later today I'll post some of my journaling in the daily draw link at the start of this thread. Hope you're all off to a good start with your decks!

Glad to hear you are connecting with the Crows. I read your daily draw. Interesting take on the Hanged Man card, speaking of how empowering it is with his fierce and determined expression.

The Sherlock Holmes Tarot is teaching me a lot. I'm especially enjoying reading the book as I work with the cards. I probably should put the cards down and just read the book first, but the artwork and colors won't let me do that. The meanings of the cards are standard (even though the images rarely are), except that Matthews and Kinghan have fortified them with concepts I have not considered before. For instance, here's the summarization of the Eight of Observation (Swords):

Just wondering, Squee, were you a fan of Sherlock Holmes and familiar with all of the stories before you used this deck? I've been interested in the deck for awhile, but I'm not sure how well the cards would read without being dependent on the companion book. Have read some of the Sherlock stories, but I'm not a die-hard fan, so I'm wondering how easy it would be to read the card images without a thorough knowledge of the literature.

UniversesCollide

The Sherlock Holmes Tarot is teaching me a lot. I'm especially enjoying reading the book as I work with the cards. I probably should put the cards down and just read the book first, but the artwork and colors won't let me do that. The meanings of the cards are standard (even though the images rarely are), except that Matthews and Kinghan have fortified them with concepts I have not considered before. For instance, here's the summarization of the Eight of Observation (Swords):

"Caught up in matters beyond your control. Fruitless occupations which you cannot resist. Restriction or lack of perspective. Fear of what others may say about you. Allowing yourself to be convinced by others. Public views reflect an ideology or institution. Imprisonment or illness stops you in your tracks."*

So, that's what the 8 of Swords has been trying to tell me all of these years! Lol. I used to see this card almost every day when I was caught up working in a highly competitive organization, which was fraught with corporate politics and infighting. I knew I was trapped ("caught up in matters beyond your control") but completely missed the significant nuances, such as "allowing yourself to be convinced by others" or "fear of what others may say about you" and the really interesting option, "public views reflect an ideology or institution".

For me, this is a case where the book alone justifies the price of the kit. The cards are an amazing bonus!

*Page 77, The Sherlock Holmes Tarot, Sterling Ethos, Text © 2014 by John Matthews and Will Kinghan.

Thank you so much, sounds like it has a lot to offer. I've read other decks with non-standard imagery that also taught me a lot so I'm pretty excited hearing what you've said so far.
It's on my holiday wishlist so maybe it will show up in my stocking soon!

RavenOfSummer

Whoops, I didn't recognize you for a minute! :D I love the new username you chose!

Thanks! Haha, yes I decided to change it up! I added my former name under my new one for now so hopefully that will help :)

UniversesCollide

I'm still struggling with my Green Witch Tarot deck. I just happened to read someone mention on another thread that this deck is very geared toward career and job readings. I wonder if that's where my resistance comes from. I'm facing possibly some major business and possibly career changes and perhaps I'm subconsciously projecting dread and other mixed emotions onto the deck? Or maybe I just don't like this deck. lol I'm going to have to give this thought, and I might not fully figure it out until a lot more time has gone by and i have the benefit of hindsight.

Green Faerie

I'm still struggling with my Green Witch Tarot deck. I just happened to read someone mention on another thread that this deck is very geared toward career and job readings. I wonder if that's where my resistance comes from. I'm facing possibly some major business and possibly career changes and perhaps I'm subconsciously projecting dread and other mixed emotions onto the deck? Or maybe I just don't like this deck. lol I'm going to have to give this thought, and I might not fully figure it out until a lot more time has gone by and i have the benefit of hindsight.

I'm sorry the deck is so frustrating for you! It could be that some of what you are experiencing is leading you to project onto the deck. It could also be that the changes you are facing are leading you to have difficulties connecting with the deck itself. It may not be the right moment for this deck; you might come back to it some other time and find that it is brilliant. :)

dianekay

I think that's a really good point, Green Faerie. Sometimes it could be the timing. Or maybe the deck is not a good fit and never will be.
I left the deck I'm working with awhile ago, but now I seem to be connecting with it (Crow's Magick). One of the reasons I left is because I thought some of the symbols were distracting random squiggles, but yesterday when I pulled the Sun as my card of the day I realized what I took to be an abstract design is really the low brick wall. Sounds funny, but it felt like a moment of insight for me.
The cards I drew each day so far--The Hanged Man, Ace of Swords, The Sun--are all visually appealing to me so I enjoyed working with them. But this evening I pulled The Universe. Ugh. It's one of the visually cluttered cards--I just don't like the way it looks. But isn't that true for most decks? We like most of the cards but there are always a few that just don't do it for us.

Nemia

I didn't have too much time to connect with the Leonardo da Vinci last week so I left it on my table until today. Now I took out the Stretch tarot. It's a clever deck, that I know, and I like the way it looks. I'll keep it close next week, too.

Green Faerie

I think that's a really good point, Green Faerie. Sometimes it could be the timing. Or maybe the deck is not a good fit and never will be.
I left the deck I'm working with awhile ago, but now I seem to be connecting with it (Crow's Magick). One of the reasons I left is because I thought some of the symbols were distracting random squiggles, but yesterday when I pulled the Sun as my card of the day I realized what I took to be an abstract design is really the low brick wall. Sounds funny, but it felt like a moment of insight for me.
The cards I drew each day so far--The Hanged Man, Ace of Swords, The Sun--are all visually appealing to me so I enjoyed working with them. But this evening I pulled The Universe. Ugh. It's one of the visually cluttered cards--I just don't like the way it looks. But isn't that true for most decks? We like most of the cards but there are always a few that just don't do it for us.

I have just acquired Tarot of the Hidden Realm, and I have to say the Magician card is not my favorite. I have the same problem with the Judgment card in the Tarot Mucha. There's almost always one! :) But to the larger point - I do think connecting with a deck is sometimes a matter of timing. I also find that the season of the year makes a difference, for me. I do better using certain decks in certain seasons. But there are many, many decks that I've rejected out of hand, simply because they didn't feel right and I didn't think I'd ever be able to read with them. Sometimes a deck simply doesn't work.

I am glad you are finding your way with the Crow's Magick! Coming back to a deck is often very helpful as well. Just as you said, sometimes we see things we didn't before.

DaughterOfDanu

I've found that the Green Witch is a deck people either love or dislike. But as Green Faerie said, sometimes a deck may not mesh with you right now, but at another time it could be just the deck you need :) It's why I don't sell decks, because I've found myself falling for decks that didn't vibe with me when I initially got them. I hope your deck choice next week is less difficult.

I enjoyed my week with the Dreams of Gaia tarot. Though I don't think it will become a regular reading deck for me. It seems like it's best for spiritual matters than an everyday deck. The Moon Deck I am still head over heels for, so it will be my oracle choice for quite some time I think :p