So what happens when the reading is inaccurate?

Amanda

Have any of you read someone and the reading was hella off?

I've always wondered what I would do if I gave a reading to someone and it was crap lol.. I'd like to think I would handle it well but deep down I would feel so upset and probably cry of embarrassment.

Have any of you experienced an inaccurate reading to someone else? What did they do? What did you do? Did they come back to you?

[emoji8]

I was doing free readings in the beginning of my learning for people online I never met before and I had a lady tell me that nothing made sense. It sucked to hear that, but I thought it might be possible she was just an a**hole. :p People tend not to value what they don't pay for, and so many others had good things to say about my readings... so, the good outweighed the bad. She didn't come back and I didn't care; I just moved on, sure I would do better next time, and I did.

Barleywine

I wonder if you cleanse your cards in between clients? Does that make a difference or do you just shuffle the energy out of it?

Because if you're constantly doing readings back to back I could only imagine the energy in the cards would somehow go mushy from so many questions, energies even 3rd party energies etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

It's not so much the lingering energy as the cards getting clumped together and coming up in the same order for consecutive clients. (I think the energy exists between the current sitter and the cards - a kind of "dynamic tension" - and dissipates when the reading is over.) I thoroughly randomize a few decks before I go to a reading session. If I have time between readings I randomize my favorite deck again; if not, I pick a different deck for the next reading. Grizabella explained a good method for randomizing that has made a big difference for me, although I expanded on it a bit: I deal out all of the cards randomly into several stacks (I'm using seven now) and then recombine the stacks randomly; since I use reversals, I include steps for that as well. The final arrangement of the cards is done by the sitter's shuffle and cut.

feminine_mystique

I was doing free readings in the beginning of my learning for people online I never met before and I had a lady tell me that nothing made sense. It sucked to hear that, but I thought it might be possible she was just an a**hole. [emoji14] People tend not to value what they don't pay for, and so many others had good things to say about my readings... so, the good outweighed the bad. She didn't come back and I didn't care; I just moved on, sure I would do better next time, and I did.
😂😂😂😂😂😂

Most people definitely are. I wonder if most times is that the cards are telling them the truth and they dont want to accept it or don't want to hear it.

Kind of like they expect the cards to tell them what they want to hear and express. But instead they get the cold hard truth.

feminine_mystique

It's not so much the lingering energy as the cards getting clumped together and coming up in the same order for consecutive clients. (I think the energy exists between the current sitter and the cards - a kind of "dynamic tension" - and dissipates when the reading is over.) I thoroughly randomize a few decks before I go to a reading session. If I have time between readings I randomize my favorite deck again; if not, I pick a different deck for the next reading. Grizabella explained a good method for randomizing that has made a big difference for me, although I expanded on it a bit: I deal out all of the cards randomly into several stacks (I'm using seven now) and then recombine the stacks randomly; since I use reversals, I include steps for that as well. The final arrangement of the cards is done by the sitter's shuffle and cut.
Hmm this is interesting. Because you do reversed cards. Do you put them all upright in between clients? Or do you leave the previous reversed cards in their?

I would have thought to place them back upright for a new client. That way those reversed cards that resonated with client a might be different to client b.

?

tarotlova

It depends: online I almost never refund money. They paid for a service and I provided it. Benebell Wen explains how!

In-person I don't read for money as often. Instead, I read for barter, exchange, or charity. So even if the reading is way off it's framed much more as entertainment, money (if any) is going to a cause that they believe in, and they don't have to give me their cheese or sparkling water if they don't want to, ultimately, because I can buy my own groceries.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I always have an Oracle deck on hand. If something is going awry, I'll switch to that.

Gotta love Benebell! She is a wealth of advice thanks for this link!

Disa

This! I often wonder if people do kind of deny it because they don't want to believe it's true. Almost like they are naive to think that they weren't as strong as they thought they were etc.. I plan to do readings in the future face to face or online and negative feedback is what worries me. Inaccuracies of readings maybe due on my part but also the querents part as well. I definitely wouldnt like negative feedback from someone just because of their issues.

Well, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. It doesn't matter what you are doing, when you are dealing with people there will always be some who seem unhappy about whatever it is you provided. No one likes negative feedback. If it can be taken as constructive criticism that's one thing, but if a person had one set of expectations and you provided something entirely different, that's something else. Negative feedback will often be because of their issues- but their issues could be just their perception, and your perception could be completely different. People are all sooo different, there's bound to be some negative feedback somewhere. Don't take it personally. If what they say has merit, then think about how to improve, if you don't think what they say has merit, then just brush it off.

Barleywine

Hmm this is interesting. Because you do reversed cards. Do you put them all upright in between clients? Or do you leave the previous reversed cards in their?

I would have thought to place them back upright for a new client. That way those reversed cards that resonated with client a might be different to client b.

Most clients don't have a clue about reversals and don't bother to mix up the cards every-which-way, they just do a straight shuffle. So the way they get the deck is the way it usually stays as far as orientation. When I randomize, I build in both random order and random orientation. If I have time between readings I will re-do both. If not I will just choose a different pre-randomized deck from the half-dozen I bring. The client's role is to subconsciously arrange the cards for the reading, which includes capture of both upright and reversed cards; if they know about reversals and factor that into their shuffle, so much the better but I don't expect it. I'm not anal about reversals any more and mainly see them as a subtle redirection of the energy that changes its manner or timing of delivery, not its basic nature; if there weren't any, it wouldn't make that much difference most of the time (note the qualifier; they sometimes provide invaluable insights). I'm less happy about 100% reversals because it usually means the deck wasn't randomized.

Citrin

So just out of curiosity - to all of you - if you charge for readings and get one that is completely off and totally doesn't resonate with the sitter, do they expect their money back? How do you handle that part? (I only read for myself, but I'm totally curious about reading for other people, and wouldn't rule it out some day)

I've never had anyone ask for their money back. One person might have insinuated something like that, sicne she felt the reading was very off. But I explained again how this isn't exactly science and in her case many other people's free will had to do with what happened...

But like I mentioned in my earlier post, I don't claim to be a "psychic" and similar, I describe my readings as advisory first hand, and... I charge for a tarot reading - which is what they get. ;)

It's kind of like going to a therapist to be cured from a spider phobia. You pay for 10 sessions, but when you're done you want a refund ´cause you're only a tiny little less afraid of spiders but not "cured". Should the therapist give a full refund? Of course not! There's no guarantee of success when it come such treatments.

nisaba

Have any of you read someone and the reading was hella off?

No.

When I was younger, I sometimes did readings where I didn't understand what my deck was trying to say, and probably didn't make sense to the client as a result.