2012: Tarot of Ascension

Le Fanu

I received this deck today - after being on the fence for a few weeks - and I have to say I really rather like it and am very glad I bought it. It is more cohesive than Id expected from posts and I think it will be very readable. Definitely one of the more impressive of recent LoS releases. I think this and the Celtic Fairies are the best LoS releases of 2010 (are there any more iminent?)

It is more RWS than Id expected too, though the LWB hardly leads you to think that as there are some quite odd/ overly specific meanings. Take this;

"2 of Pentacles; Wise and calculated risks lead to business deals, advantages and unions. The threat lies in stagnation, in gambling and indecision."

However, overall, I have to say I find the deck very, very appealing. It feels like a proper old dark and mysterious tarot deck which may very well not deign to yield its secrets. The cards all have the traditional LoS borders and titles in 6 languages, except Death which only has XIII on it. I like that nod to traditionalism.

I have come to the conclusion that Michele Penco is one of my favourite artists working for lo Scarabeo. I love the Dark Grimoire and I think I like this more as it isn't so obviously anchored to a particular theme. Penco's artwork has a density, a gloominess & spookiness about it which I like enormously, so dark and detailed and shaded, with odd beasts lurking in the corners, desolate pathways and brooding clouds. The heavy shading makes such a nice change IMO to the light, sketchy pastel style of some other LoS artwork.

The Majors are - for me - quite RWS, the Minors less so, but I still think it seems readable to me (it was my reservation and I pressed Hearthcricket further on this!) Many cards take place on a stage, with curtains & stage-sets, as if these are scenes with travelling minstrels or recitals, and there is a lot of reading and looking at maps and diagrams throughout. Perhaps deciphering is the hidden theme here. I love how Death sweeps a curtain aside for us to peer behind the fabric of daily life and see the comets and meteors beyond.

I like this deck, love the autumnal hues. It has a distinct atmosphere. That's what I like to see in a deck, a coherent atmosphere or voice. I don't think I'd immediately get the 2012 theme to be honest, but the title is immaterial (am I allowed to say that?). Put it in a bag, toss the box and you can make the deck whatever you want it to be. For me it has just the right amount of darkness and strangeness to feel like a proper tarot deck, how I expect my tarots to look.

canid

For what it's worth, here's my take on it. It's what each soul immediately personally finds upon ascension. It's the moment of creating a new heaven & earth & each character's reaction to it; the process of metamorphosis. Kinda like The Magician - 'Creating your own reality'. The colors are drab, but there are snippets of bright hues just beginning here & there.

For instance, the boat driver in the 6 of Swords (Captain? Goldolier? What IS a boat driver called?) finds himself alone, with only luggage as passenger, in turbulent waters. Because that's what he/she feared? The Knight of Cups has removed his armor & his horse is grazing - because he realizes he's already arrived? His mission is accomplished? The Lovers realize there are no longer choices in love, they love everyone equally & perfectly. Blahblahblah. The side bar on the box says 'The end of the world as we know it is a gateway to profound transformation. As each soul reawakens, all of humanity Ascends.'

Haven't tried to read with it yet, though.

Ivy Rhiannon

I saw this deck in Books a Million a few weeks ago. Every time i go in there I get the sense I should get it. I think I'm gonna :p Looks very cool!

Le Fanu

This deck is fabulous. I love it more and more. Aulruna is another fan, I believe. I have plans to study it more and have it as my deck of choice throughout next year :)

I trimmed mine and it looks even better (IMO).

Ivy Rhiannon

This deck is fabulous. I love it more and more. Aulruna is another fan, I believe. I have plans to study it more and have it as my deck of choice throughout next year :)

I trimmed mine and it looks even better (IMO).

I hate borders 99% of the time :p I had never heard or thought of trimming them either til AT! When I trimmed my druidcraft I fell in love the art work just popped out! So beautiful! I don't know what it is about this deck but I am drawn to it. I can't wait to get it and look at the card in detail. The online images don't do most tarot justice.

Metafizzypop

I thought I'd wake up this thread because here we are on Dec. 21, 2012. I was wondering if anyone was using this deck for readings today. I was also wondering if anyone was planning on using this deck AFTER today. And if anyone was planning on BUYING this deck after today. Does this deck still have relevance after today at all?

I think it does, if only because it's a really nice pack of cards. I was looking at it recently, at the scans on albideuter.com, and I found the art very atmospheric, and very suited to the end of the world. It's gloomy, dark, ponderous, and serious. Even a little disturbing.

I was wondering what other people's thoughts might be about using this deck after today. Will you continue to use it, or will it be relegated to the back shelf in your tarot collection? I would use it if I had it, and I'm planning on getting it when I save up a few bucks.

rwcarter

I was wondering what other people's thoughts might be about using this deck after today. Will you continue to use it, or will it be relegated to the back shelf in your tarot collection? I would use it if I had it, and I'm planning on getting it when I save up a few bucks.
I'll definitely continue to use it and offer it up for Dark Deck Truth exchanges.

It would've been better if the deck had just been called "The Tarot of Ascension" without the reference to 2012 for just the reasons you've mentioned. But the deck will still be viable and relevant long after 2012.

Rodney

Le Fanu

I like this deck so much I trimmed it. :D

I have been using it intermittently all year. There's a tiny part of me that would feel *odd* using a deck marked 2012 in 2013, 2014, 2015... Silly I know. It's like I can't drink tea out of Christmas mugs in the middle of summer.

But maybe 25 years hence it will have a lovely retro vibe.

Farewell sweet deck, banished to the back of the tarot shelf...