Payewacker

Hi Guys,

Has anyone any knowledge of a major arcanum card marked 26, also a card named fate, the nearest i got to it was in the giglee deck and is actually the devil and marked 15 named la fatalite.

I glimpsed this card, it was a bigger than normal card, looked like Rider Waite even the back.

Blessed be

Payewacker

Sar

The deck was Ridder Waite?

Thirteen

Florence Tarot?

Payewacker said:
Has anyone any knowledge of a major arcanum card marked 26, also a card named fate, the nearest i got to it was in the giglee deck and is actually the devil and marked 15 named la fatalite.
I don't know about 26, as in Rider-Waite the majors only go up to 21. I'm also not sure about Fate...might you mean "Faith"?

Here's why (from this website:http://www.tarocon.com/minchiate.html)
The new Minchiate Tarot is an original recreation of the expanded Tarot of Renaissance Florence: 97 full–color cards...the Minchiate includes more trumps than almost any Tarot in history...The 16th–century Florentines expanded the system of trumps to include all 12 signs of the zodiac, and the four elements of earth, air, water, and fire; they augmented the three virtues of the tarot (Justice, Fortitude, and Temperance) with Prudence, Faith, Hope, and Charity, for a total of seven. Perhaps in deference to the influence of Rome, the Papess (High Priestess) was removed from the deck, and the Pope was replaced by the Eastern Emperor. The result was a tarot deck with 97 cards
If this is the kind of deck you saw, then there'd certainly be a Trump 26 and a "Faith," "Fire," and "Fortitude" card...though I don't know about "Fate."

rwcarter

I went through all my decks with more than 22 Majors/78 cards last night in an effort to see if I could be of any help, but didn't find any that met Payewacker's criteria. There wasn't a lot of info there in the first place, but I figured that to have a 26th Trump, that there would have to be at least 82 cards in the deck.

It's not
  • Parrott (extra courts)
  • Terrestrial (extra minors)
  • Babylonian (extra courts, 1 extra major)
  • not the Faery Wicca (1 extra major, 4 helpers)
  • Fantasy Showcase (2 extra majors, 1 extra court)
  • Dr. Paratsels (7 extra numbered cards and 1 extra picture card)
  • Enochian (8 extra majors)
  • Morgan's (10 extra cards, but no major/minor divisions and no numbers)
  • Steele Wizard (4 extra courts, 6 extra majors)
  • Deva (1 extra major, 1 extra suit)
  • Ancient Minchiate Etruria (lots of extra majors)
  • Minchiate (19 extra majors)
  • Aura Soma (extra set of majors)
  • Transformational (6 extra majors, 4 extra court ranks)
  • Healing Earth (2 extra minor suits)

And FTR, the 26th major in both Minchiate tarots is Scorpio.

Rodney

Thirteen

rwcarter said:
I went through all my decks with more than 22 Majors/78 cards last night in an effort to see if I could be of any help, but didn't find any that met Payewacker's criteria.
Interesting. I've never used a deck that had more than the usual 78, outside of those which sometimes provide an extra blank card or two. What's it like to use something like the Minchiaite, which has so many extra cards? Harder to suffle I imagine ;)

firecatpickles

It is a challenge but one that is most enjoyable.

I use elements with most of the extra cards, mythological allegories for the zodiacs, and take into consideration active v. intellectual virtues to figure out the rest.

I believe the best way to learn is to pick up a deck and start reading with it. The Williams is the best one to start with as long as you get the SET that comes with the book, which in some respects is more valuable than the dang deck.

(Wonders whether to start up the Minchiate reading trade again [Moonbow, fluffy, you listening?]... I promise to watch my language }) )

rwcarter

Thirteen,

I haven't actually read yet with any of the decks I listed. One day soon though. As for shuffling, when I was a kid I played game called Spite and Malice which uses 4 decks of regular playing cards and I could shuffle those 208 cards without a problem. So 80-100 is nothing for me! ;)

To stay on topic, if Payewacker is still around, please give more info. I see you mention that the back of the card even looked like the Rider Waite. (Un)Fortunately, the RW comes in a number of different back designs. Can you be more specific about the back you meant? Also was the number actually 26 or was it the Roman numerals XXVI?

I'm intrigued myself to find out what this deck is.

Rodney

AJ

Rodney, your post gave me a flashback. I'd forgotten when a group of us played Russian Rummy with 4 decks of cards all one summer in the early 70's ...no wonder tarot decks aren't much of a problem ;) And the longer we played the fluffier the decks got..
Now returning you to your normal programming.

Sar

Shapeshifter has a lot of extra majors.