definitions of readings....

214red

Further to my post:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=124234

I am curious on how we define tarot reading, when we say (or someone requests) the following, what do we do (or expect) :
• Psychic reading
• Intuitive reading
• tarot reading (with none of the above)

I personally dont beleive anyone can read tarot without some level of intuition/psychic ability, but if someone calls themselves a psychic reader i would except a mediumship reading, with specifics. i would also expect them to be connecting to my guides etc.
Intuitive reading to me, is not as specific, i wouldnt expect the reader to contact any spirits, but i would expect a bit more then the book meaning. I would expect the reading to use one of the mental mediumship skills, even if they are not aware of how they get the message etc.

anyways, what do you kind folks think?
Thanks
Nik

Golden Moon

Well I believe that anyone can do a "Tarot Reading" by memorizing the meanings of the book. But in a way your right, Those who read tarot must have some sort of intuition or psychic ability. I personally, am an Intuitive reader. I look at the card and tell its story.

canid

Oy, Nik, that's a tough one; I've been chewing on it for a long time. You can't please or reach all of the people all of the time. Some really want the woo woo thing while others are much more pragmatic. My cards state 'Tarot Reader', with a coupla bulleted items - Troubleshooting, Life guidance, Spirit contact', so I'm maybe eliminating a few more scientifically minded souls. I also have "No 'curse lifting' scams", perhaps to my detriment, but since there's a 'lady' around that does just that, I felt it important to mention that I'm not going to send them merrily on their way to the bank so I can give them some specially charged crystals to get rid of their nonexistent curse.

214red

canid said:
Oy, Nik, that's a tough one; I've been chewing on it for a long time. You can't please or reach all of the people all of the time. Some really want the woo woo thing while others are much more pragmatic. My cards state 'Tarot Reader', with a coupla bulleted items - Troubleshooting, Life guidance, Spirit contact', so I'm maybe eliminating a few more scientifically minded souls. I also have "No 'curse lifting' scams", perhaps to my detriment, but since there's a 'lady' around that does just that, I felt it important to mention that I'm not going to send them merrily on their way to the bank so I can give them some specially charged crystals to get rid of their nonexistent curse.
yeah there are alot of scammers in tarot, some of the stories aare scary, but then again the people who pay out for the nonsense are also to take some responsibility.

i didnt know what to say on mine for ages, i stuck with 'Medium' because i didnt want to define myself as a tarot reader when i use all methods to read.

love the 'woo woo' thing:)

Apollonia

214red said:
I am curious on how we define tarot reading, when we say (or someone requests) the following, what do we do (or expect) :
• Psychic reading
• Intuitive reading
• tarot reading (with none of the above)

I personally dont beleive anyone can read tarot without some level of intuition/psychic ability, but if someone calls themselves a psychic reader i would except a mediumship reading, with specifics. i would also expect them to be connecting to my guides etc.
Intuitive reading to me, is not as specific, i wouldnt expect the reader to contact any spirits, but i would expect a bit more then the book meaning. I would expect the reading to use one of the mental mediumship skills, even if they are not aware of how they get the message etc.
Nik

My cards just say "Tarot and Psychic Readings" because sometimes I'm very focused on the card meanings and sometimes I'm getting the information psychically. I leave out the "medium" part, even though I am a mental and trance medium, and get some of my information that way, as well, because in these parts, anyway, "medium" equals "talks to dead people" and although I do that as well, not everyone wants that when they come in for a reading.

I find that it doesn't really matter what I call myself, though, as the clients make up their own definitions anyway.

Apollonia

canid said:

I just want to point out that, just as with Tarot, there are competent, ethical people around who do the woo woo stuff and remove curses for people. Just as with Tarot, they are not all scammers. I would hate to think that if you practiced where I do, you would call me a scammer and warn people about me!

As a part of my shamanic training, I took an intensive seminar on curse unraveling from Betsy Bergstrom, a highly respected shamanic practitioner and teacher. At the outset, she informed us that curses are very real, and that one does not need to believe in a curse in order for it to affect his or her life.

Being called to do so by Spirit as a part of my practice, I now remove curses (and yes, sometimes I do use crystals which I have charged to strengthen a person's aura after the curse removal). But what I do is not a scam. It is exacting, and sometimes hazardous, work.

Umbrae

214red said:
• Psychic reading
• Intuitive reading

could you define these terms, and explain the difference please? I'm really not stirring the pot here, I want (need) to know!

WalesWoman

Umbrae said:
could you define these terms, and explain the difference please? I'm really not stirring the pot here, I want (need) to know!
I'd advise doing a search for the kajillion other threads on that subject, but the results are disappointing, if you use psychic and intuition as key words, because those two words are too common and the search engine says it's too much work.

MareSaturni

I consider myself slightly intuitive and not psychic at all. So i believe i read tarot, and only that. I use the knowledge i have gained by studying tarot for some years and for living life. I think nothing in this world teaches one tarot better than life itself.

I'm not sure if my intuition is actually some sort of innate ability or if it actually is wisdom in deguise. You learn more about life, and while you are reading tarot this learning shows itself in the shape of the so-called intuition.

I'm probably completely off base here, but i'm not saying it's like that for everyone. That's just what it feels like to me.

fairielf

In my opinion you must use intuition.Because if you just know the meaning of the cards you can say just some words.Let your intuition to speak it will have great results.The intuition is the gift