Has tarot replaced communication...

214red

Hi folks

one of the things i think as readers we are sometimes (am including myself in this) at fault for is using the cards to ask questions we should be asking the person. I also think we use the card sometimes to see if what someone told us was the truth, its like were not using our intuition/gut instinct we are doubting what we feel, instead trusting the cards to tell us something we already know.

I think there is a point where reading becomes intrusive, it starts hindering us, blocking us rather then supporting and empowering us.

I think sometimes readers are avoiding life by reading on it rather then experiencing it. People often read on how a dates going to go, and will often not go on the date if the cards look less than perfect (sun, empress, ace of cups), but they are often missing out on a good experience. People see a devil or an ace of wands on a spread about a date and run for the hills, but usually on a date you want attraction...

is this just me, or are others concerned that tarot is replacing common sense and communication.

nisaba

214red said:
is this just me, or are others concerned that tarot is replacing common sense and communication.
I use Tarot when other means of gaining information fail me.

Or when I gain information in some other way, but my intuition nags at me and I don't really believe it.

214red

nisaba said:
I use Tarot when other means of gaining information fail me.

Or when I gain information in some other way, but my intuition nags at me and I don't really believe it.
yeah me too

I am kind of referring to the newer readers, i think when you have been doing it for a bit and have been tested by the cards...i think there is always a moment when we get challenged to pick the cards or our instinct.

papercut

Some people may be a bit obsessive about readings but I bet they are in the minority.

All things considered, even when it is overused tarot is pretty harmless. After all, some people drink heaps in order to cope with social situations. Some people smoke heaps when they are nervous. Some people over-eat when they are having relationship problems.

It's all relative, and if one must have a vice, tarot is really not so bad compared to some of the alternatives.

214red

papercut said:
Some people may be a bit obsessive about readings but I bet they are in the minority.

All things considered, even when it is overused tarot is pretty harmless. After all, some people drink heaps in order to cope with social situations. Some people smoke heaps when they are nervous. Some people over-eat when they are having relationship problems.

It's all relative, and if one must have a vice, tarot is really not so bad compared to some of the alternatives.

i think to be honest its comparable to other obsessive behaviour,i dont think its less harmful when it starts preventing people doing something there is an issue

papercut

Sure, like any obsessive behaviour - but I still think readers with a genuine OCD tarot problem are in the minority.

I thought you were talking more about tarot being used as a kind of crutch, which is probably way more common - however there are many crutches in life, and I still think tarot is a pretty mild one (at least it doesn't ruin your physical health).

214red

papercut said:
Sure, like any obsessive behaviour - but I still think readers with a genuine OCD tarot problem are in the minority.

I thought you were talking more about tarot being used as a kind of crutch, which is probably way more common - however there are many crutches in life, and I still think tarot is a pretty mild one (at least it doesn't ruin your physical health).
i dont think things are black and white, there are various shades of grey....

i would say its less OCD then an addiction, but as you say thats minority of people. I do think using it as a crutch is dangerious, if it stops people having experiences. if we compare it to a drink to calm your nerves before a social function, that doesnt really harm your health alone, but it is a crutch so it for me is the same as using tarot as a crutch

Aerin

It does depend on your personality. I have a friend who would never touch Tarot because she knows what she's like... she had to go cold turkey on pendulums because she found herself relying it for every teeny decision (including what to eat, whether to go out...).

I have read for others on the possibility of a relationship with someone when the cards just said "well, what have you actually done about it? Just ask already!"

214red

Aerin said:
It does depend on your personality. I have a friend who would never touch Tarot because she knows what she's like... she had to go cold turkey on pensulums because she found herself relying it for every teeny decision (including what to eat, whether to go out...).

I have read for others on the possibility of a relationship with someone when the cards just said "well, what have you actually done about it? Just ask already!"
LOL yes it makes me laugh when the cards do that! Or they say nothing will happen because they know the person wont do anything about it. Or sometimes the cards ask the question why, i have a few people i know who always ask if unobtainable people fancy them (friends husbands etc) and sometimes my cards will ask them why...

I must admit to not buying biscuits because i have no self control with them and will eat the whole packet, tarot i have control:) I must admit to the first few months of being able to read properly i found myself falling into the trap of asking everything, however i didnt allow it to stop me doing things...and the phase past.

gregory

214red said:
one of the things i think as readers we are sometimes (am including myself in this) at fault for is using the cards to ask questions we should be asking the person. I also think we use the card sometimes to see if what someone told us was the truth, its like were not using our intuition/gut instinct we are doubting what we feel, instead trusting the cards to tell us something we already know.

I think there is a point where reading becomes intrusive, it starts hindering us, blocking us rather then supporting and empowering us.

I think sometimes readers are avoiding life by reading on it rather then experiencing it. People often read on how a dates going to go, and will often not go on the date if the cards look less than perfect (sun, empress, ace of cups), but they are often missing out on a good experience. People see a devil or an ace of wands on a spread about a date and run for the hills, but usually on a date you want attraction...

I agree with this. Too many people also ask questions they know the answer to, in the hope that they will get a different answer.... Sometimes we have to use common sense - in fact, I would say mostly we do. Tarot should on the whole be - kind of - for special occasions, if that makes sense. When we really cannot see a way forward.

On the other hand, it is OK to have a bit of fun too. The old chestnut about "what shall I have for dinner" is harmless enough. It is when it is used for every real decision, every step of the way - it almost becomes disempowering.

As for "how does he feel about me ?" - ask him. :mad: