Disrespect of Cards

yirabeth

I remember when I got my first deck, how in awe of them I was..how I didn't understand how they worked, maybe the cards were "alive" or I would upset the powers that "used" them if I didn't approach them a certain way... :)

I love my cards, they're as much a part of me as my hair, my skin, my fingernails. I shuffle them when I'm upset/sad/confused, I have found myself shuffling just when I'm thinking, and I've picked them up without realizing. I take care of them, in that I don't shuffle with dirty hands, and I don't spill on them or otherwise use them carelessly. However I riffle shuffle so of course, many would say I do not take care of them.

Thing is, I agree they're just paper and ink. To me, my cards are a way to connect with my spirit guide, and as such I make sure I keep them in working order. (even my riffling doesn't damage the pictures -- some ink has worn off the edges but that's no where near the picture) I don't bother cleansing them, I don't bother reordering them. When I use them for actual reading (vs. just soothing/calming/thinking motions) I try to put myself in a meditative state so I can communicate better - but that's within me not the cards. I use crystals that enhance intuition/psychic skills when I do a reading -- but again, that's me not the cards. The crystals are tools, also.

So I do believe they're just a tool, one that I treat as well as I can within my needs so they serve me well. The important bit, however, is the communication with my guide.

~Yira

NorthernTigress

You know, while reading this thread, I can't help but think of blackairplane's infamous "Ugly deck". The one that even he doesn't know what deck it really is; the one with he describes as "old, orange, and with ugly pictures"; the one he keeps at work, and has run over with a forklift at least once.

I'm sure almost everyone would agree that this deck has been "disrespected" if not outright abused. And yet it always reads true. I should know, I've seen it in action in many a Tarot Games & Fun thread.

moonmorgan

My reading deck goes everywhere with me, wrapped in a royal blue silk embroidered in silver i made myself. The silk is creased where it's been knoted rouund the cards, and it's got a bit of a nasty waxy accident in one corner (must try to ge it off....). I carry them round with me not so I can do impromptu readings all the time, I just like to have them close to me. They almost went for a swim in a pub toilet when I lef my handbag on the cisern and it decided to leap off and do a few somersaults during it's decent- thankfully only my makeup bag and mobile got a dunking!

Recenly I had a reading done at a new age fair.. The reader used a very battered morgan greer deck. When I watched her shuffle and spread the cards, I could see why. They were bashed together and flung on the table. If they didn't make immediae sense, some more cards would get whapped on top of the others, then they were all unceremoniously scooped up at the end of the reading and pushed to one side whilst I paid.

I suppose what you consider abuse is a very personal thing - abuse of the physical cards themselves, or abuse of their 'vibes', or both.

Alta

Reading these comments, I think that I fall somewhere between. I take care of my stuff, especially tools and that goes for any area of my life. To a certain extent, my cards are an extension (or extension tool?) of my mind, and so I take care of them. I do not personify them or think them sentient, but recognize the role they play in my life and honour that.

I keep decks that are expensive or ones that I regard as having imagery that speaks to my inner self, to myself.

Alta

214red

well i might get lynched but...

Cards are just cards, apart from a few decks which are sentimental i treat my decks like i treat things like my nice pens etc, they are tools, and they are replacement.

If they get damaged, i simply replace them. It wouldnt be good if i read for people professionally with a deck i would hate to lose, because thats not fair to the sitter, what if a sitter knocks water on them or something? how would the sitter feel.

I feel cards and just cards, they are tools, one of the many tools i use to read, nothing more and nothing less. my sentimental decks i take care with, but often dont take them out.

I dont beleive the cards hold anything other then images, i thank spirit when reading, for the ability and support in reading them i thank them, but not the cards....not bits of cardboard!

So yes i am an abuser of cards, i dont use a cloth, i often dont bother buying a bag or silk cloth to hold them in if they arent my sentimental decks, i dont even sleep with them to connect to them...i am bad:)

Alta

214red said:
........ i thank spirit when reading, for the ability and support in reading them i thank them, but not the cards....
Good comment, I also do this.

ana luisa

I know a lady who reads with playing cards. These are also used for solitaire and poker... And they give amazing readings too. Go figure.

13WildMoons

Some of you think I may be extreme but that's ok. :-D

Just to clarify a couple of things...

When I do the things I mentioned, I do them before and after my shift starts or I do phone readings. I don't "waste a client's time". I also don't make a big deal out of it either and it only takes me a moment.

Yes, I do believe they are sentient - in that they have an energy. Not that they will get up and walk out on me during a reading if I don't behave. When I say that I am thanking them, I'm speaking of the spirit that they contain not the physical aspect of the cards.

That is something that I relate to a great many things. It is part of a long followed and very deep spiritual belief that I have had for almost fifty years. I don't though believe that the cards themselves are magic or have special powers.

Alta

13WildMoons said:
Some of you think I may be extreme but that's ok. :-D

Yes, I do believe they are sentient - in that they have an energy. Not that they will get up and walk out on me during a reading if I don't behave. When I say that I am thanking them, I'm speaking of the spirit that they contain not the physical aspect of the cards.
I do not think it is extreme, and we all see things in our own way. There have been a few threads here on 'gratefulness' and it may come to that. There is so much beyond our selves and to maintain a positive attitude towards it, in whatever way, benefits our lives.

Alissa

Once upon a time, I abused my deck. I hurt it so bad, it had to retire.

In my defense, it was an accidental homicide. Death by lemonade.

The good news, by dying it transcended (as do we all) to become something bigger.

Cards are tools, and I respect them. I love my cards, and I take care of them, but I don't baby them.