Ana Cortez (Playing Card Oracles) videos on Youtube

Le Fanu

I've also been enjoying her videos. It makes a difference seeing the creator (or one of the creators) using their deck.

One question though; the backs of my cards are not at all like the backs of her cards.... Are anyone else's like hers? The pattern on hers goes right up to the edges. Mine has a brown marbled pattern with borders.

I'm also curious to know whether those that use them simply use the meanings laid out in the book or if they have elaborated on them and, if so, how you elaborated on the meaning. Did you memorise the meanings in the book?

MareSaturni

Le Fanu said:
One question though; the backs of my cards are not at all like the backs of her cards.... Are anyone else's like hers? The pattern on hers goes right up to the edges. Mine has a brown marbled pattern with borders.

I don't think anyone but her has this deck. I think it's an older version, pre-US Games. If you grab the book and look at the picture of the cards there, you'll notice they are a bit different from the cards printed by US Games. The titles, for instance, are handwritten. I think this is the version Ana has.

If I'm not wrong, the book (and probably the deck) was first published by the Two Sisters Press. But if any older version of this deck survives, I have no idea. I bought my first deck back in 2006-2007 and it was already the one printed by US Games.

Le Fanu said:
I'm also curious to know whether those that use them simply use the meanings laid out in the book or if they have elaborated on them and, if so, how you elaborated on the meaning. Did you memorise the meanings in the book?

Nowadays I no longer need the book to know the meanings. In fact, they feel quite intuitive for me. I think it starts like it is with tarot - first you need the book, then you kinda memorize the meanings, then you use use use the deck until it becomes natural to you.

I think I have elaborated on the meanings, after using the cards for a few years now, but I can't really tell you how... only show you in a reading, I guess :)

Frankly, Ana Cortez playing card method is the most intuitive I ever learnt, and the less fortune-tellerish. I *LOVE* it.

Moonbow

Snap Le Fanu, I was very disappointed with the backs for the cards, and that is something which doesn't usually bother me, but having watched her videos and then looked at the deck description here on Aeclectic, it was a bit of a shock, they're quite nasty, what were US Games thinking? I guessed that it was due to the change over to them, and was probably just so that they could print their name on the cards. A great shame.

Bernice

I really never bothered to consider the backs of this deck, but now I see that they irreversible - you can see which way up the cards are.

I had a quick look at the videos but could'nt see the backs Ana was using.... maybe I was too hasty.

Bee :)

Le Fanu

I think I might pack this up and take it on my summer break! Beach towel, suntan cream etc etc and only yesterday I was deciding on 6 different decks for 6 different moods. On reflection, the Playing Card Oracles with book might be nice to take. I haven't really used it much this last year... Might be nice to get back into it again!

lark

I hope she continues with the video teaching...it's fascinating.
I'd love to see how she interprets the cards.
I remember I found the book first at an Expo and devoured it and went in search of the card deck.
Found it on Amazon.
I use it very often it's in of my top 10.
LE Fanu...good choice to take on vacation it is a deck you can hunker down with and really get involved in...have a nice time.

MareSaturni

Moonbow* said:
Snap Le Fanu, I was very disappointed with the backs for the cards, and that is something which doesn't usually bother me, but having watched her videos and then looked at the deck description here on Aeclectic, it was a bit of a shock, they're quite nasty, what were US Games thinking? I guessed that it was due to the change over to them, and was probably just so that they could print their name on the cards. A great shame.

Yes, I too would rather have a deck with the backs like in Ana's deck. That USGames name thingie SUCKS. While the cards don't have reversed meanings, it matters because it changes the direction in which the cards are staring... :(

I try to ignore the US Games thing, and keep my deck with some cards reversed and others upright. But it is annoying to know beforehand whether a card is reversed or not :(

Le Fanu said:
I think I might pack this up and take it on my summer break! Beach towel, suntan cream etc etc and only yesterday I was deciding on 6 different decks for 6 different moods. On reflection, the Playing Card Oracles with book might be nice to take. I haven't really used it much this last year... Might be nice to get back into it again!

Do it. It's a fabulous book!
I started studying mine while in vacations... and never stopped. Ana is a great writer, the book is a pleasure to read! Have your deck with you so you can practice a bit when you come back to your hotel room (not sure if you like taking your cards to the beach :p). :heart:

Moonbow

My preference with playing card decks is much like what I would want to see in a Marseilles, and that is backs which have a uniform, unbroken pattern which goes to the edge of the cards. But I don't want to put a dampener on the deck because I like the concept and I find her way of teaching very in synch with how I use historical tarot decks, so I'm thrilled with it.

Le Fanu

Do people use reversals with this deck? She doesn't mention reversals in her book does she? I was just reading her book now whilst having lunch at a restaurant but the World Cup (Portugal vs Brazil) was playing very loudly on the TV so I couldn't concentrate and I had the cards on the table and the waiter asked me what the cards said about the game!

This will be the 2nd or 3rd time I have read the book. I remember being struck by how vague/bare some of her divinatory meanings are but I think there is usually one or two concepts among her meanings which make sense in the context of the card. It really is a book which stands up to rereading. But I'll be honest, the spreads never seem to be quite so full of information as my tarot spreads are. I suppose it's just practice. I am quite tempted to take on holiday with me...

It's just that Thoth and the Navigators still have my attention...

Moonbow

Take all three Le Fanu, and mix-n-match them. :) Actually, you may be able to expand the playing card meanings with what you get from the other decks....

The videos show that her deck sometimes has the cards upside-down, and the book shows meanings which are in a positive an negative light so I would say she uses reversed meanings, even if the cards aren't reversed. I like to see decks with images up the right way but I consider ALL meanings when it comes to readings. I'm only at the start of the book, but I tend to read books for the artist/author's take then I change or expand into my own meanings.

So....... what DID the cards say about Portugal and Brazil?