Stating the question aloud vs. keeping quiet...

Sillanza

99% of the time the querant I have has a question in mind and doesn't hesitate to make it known. If they don't, I'll describe several spreads to them and see which one connects. Regardless if it's what they were looking for or not, there's always the next spread, and another deck ...

Moongold

I did not realise that experienced readers often do not ask for a question. It makes sense. People ask for a reading and you simply read the cards?

It makes me wonder about projections that I as a reader might make on to the reading from my assumptions and prior knowledge of the subject area to which questions often relate.

This might be something I experiment with in the future in readings here - Just asking what people need to know. I think I've just got into the habit of asking for questions because that is what everyone seemed to do when I came here two years ago. I learned to read at Aeclectic and have only done a dozen live readings.

tmgrl2

I thought what you did too at first, Moongold...about needing a question...but as I read more here and have started doing live readings, the Q's pretty much tell you what they want...often it's a question...but not necessarily. We have also had these recent threads here...lunalafey did one...with the question hidden, while the readers read...Didn't you participate in that one?

I think it's fun to resurrent some of these older threads on the mechanics since some of us (like me) are new and it's interesting to see the different takes on these topics.

terri

At the least, I am much more comfortable not knowing the question. I recently did a three-card for Arnaud using my Gilded Tarot...and it was "general" but turned out to hit me with some very specific words...I was surprised and just went with it...everyone is usually so kind about giving feedback, I figured...read it as I see it...they can always get the Tarot Police after me later (LOL)

Persephone37

My experience is - if I read for other people, I better don't hear the question. Otherwise I put to much of myself into the reading. If I read for myself I never ask aloud, the cards hear me with or without uttering it. ;)

Regards
Petra

Rosebud2012

I find it easier to read for others than myself but generally I need to know the question because the cards mean completely different things whether you're asking about love or work etc.

When I read for people I don't feel like I'm getting a proper answer unless I write it down on a piece of paper and put it beneath a significator.

EricthoDeSalamander

I usually don't have people give me the question, because I feel that influences what I "see" in the cards. If there's a certain card (or cards) that jump out at me, then I usually mention them.

EyeAmEye

I picked up tarot due to a co-worker who read for me some years back. She didn't ask for a question, so I took her lead originally and didn't ask when I first started reading either. After a while, I thought it might be better to know the question before the reading. Been doing that for the last few years.

Looking back, I think the early readings I did were more accurate, so maybe I should return to it.

VGimlet

Wow, this is one from the vaults! :D

I actually prefer to NOT know the question, unless the sitter is compelled to tell me. :p

magpie9

I ask the Q of they know what they want to know. I get different reactions...some say yes and then tell me about it, some say yes and don't. Some say no. I leave it up to them. For the ones who say nothing most of them will start interacting during the reading anyway. My preference is to know the question or at least the subject in order to give a tighter reading. I also like to know what they want inorder to choose or create the best tarot spread I can for thier concern.I don't think knowing what they want throws my accuracy off.
When someone says nothing and I give a tight exact reading anyway, it feels great!

Mysticalmom

This brings up a question for me.

Lets say the querant did not ask the question aloud, would they ask a more honest question and then get a different reading? If the person were to ask the question aloud and they were shy or hesitant to really ask what they really wanted to know, would they get a different reading?