Anna K Study - King of Pentacles

Marirowana

There isn’t much happening in the card, but there is a lot to see. That suits this grounded king op pentacles. The king wears earthy colours, matching the building he is in. His cloak has some nice orange/yellow colours and looks very warm. Underneath, he is wearing some blue pants and a hauberk. His crown is pretty fancy, compared to the other crowns. His belt has a nice blue gemstone, and a ring shines on two of his fingers. Around his neck, a necklace, or a chainy-thing as part of the cloak maybe. Now I take a closer look at his coat, I think it is fur (I dislike fur, but I understand the symbol of wealth).

His home is abundantly decorated, especially compared to the homes of the other kings. The columns are painted, and the floor is made of colourful mosaics that look like pentacles. He is surrounded by his material wealth. He shows some jars, pots, coffers and a bowl – I bet they aren’t empty! I imagine them to be filled with luxury foods, like honey, dates, wine, cinnamon (these goods make the room smell earthy as well, wich I like :D ) He thinks the pentacle in his hands deserves our special interest. Pentacles stand for the outer world, your self-image, health and wealth.

But then his face… He doesn’t look happy, his frown is deep, his eyes look worried or maybe even sad.* It is not easy to be busy about your appearance. I suppose he is just as wealthy as all the other kings, but the king of pentacles just has to show it, and it is pressing on his shoulders. His home is full of wealth, but the blue space behind him is rather empty.

But, nevertheless, he is a succesfull man. He might choose his career over his family, but only in order to give them everything they need, financially. In this world, money is power. The world is ruled by large companies, rather than the government. This king has both, money and political power, so he might be the most influental king – but not necessarily the most ethical. He has financial stability, but sometimes he has to remember to enjoy it!

It is the king, so he masters his suit – therefore I’m sure he also gets some spiritual fulfillment from his material wealth. It gives him opportunities. He will act in a very pragmatic way, efficiency is his thing. He can make his ideas into a success with only a little effort. His advice to you is to do the same, follow your dreams in a methodical way and they sure will come true! Just make sure you stay light-hearted, and don’t become the apathic workaholic.

His motto might be ‘never change a winning team’, he tends to follow his old proven methods now and in the future, instead of trying something new, like the king of wands would do for example. Maybe you can look in the past for a solution, instead of in new ways. The stuff around him are his heritage, the coat was worn by his father and grandfather, and he is proud of it. Be generous, or accept someone elses generosity. It looks like the king is about to hand you his valuable pentacle, accept and appreciate his help! There are no locks on his pots and pans, he is willing to share if you can take the responsibility.

To me, he also stands for a strong connection with nature. This is hard to see in the card, so I imagine the large coffer on the right is filled with stuff like shells, feathers, pinecones, driftwood, stones, dried leaves. All treasures his knights brought him from their travels through his kingdom. Maybe even some dried fruits, from his wifes harvest ;)

*I immediatly had to think of this song by Harry Connick, “Well, it's better to be happy in a cardboard shack, than to be alone in a castle”. Listen to it here → Nowhere with Love (I couldn't find it on youtube).

Index

Attachments

• KingPentacles.jpg
    KingPentacles.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 142

Harperhaven

Unfortunately this is another one of the Anna K cards that doesn't do anything for me. This King does not give me the feeling of belonging in nature, nor does it portray any real sort of material satisfaction that his money has brought him. His cloak does look like it is made of fine material but beyond that his surroundings look rather plain. I guess maybe that portrays pentacle practicality.

I actually think he looks rather world-weary.

flipperjane

I tend to agree with Harperhaven - I also think of this King as being quite connected with nature and also very ethical - so for me the fur trimmed cloak jars very badly. I do take the point about it illustrating his wealth (but I don't like it ).

I think it's wishful thinking to imagine he has something to connect him to nature in his chest but I LOVE your enthusiasm for this deck.

Marirowana

This King does not give me the feeling of belonging in nature, nor does it portray any real sort of material satisfaction that his money has brought him. His cloak does look like it is made of fine material but beyond that his surroundings look rather plain.

I tend to agree with Harperhaven - I also think of this King as being quite connected with nature and also very ethical - so for me the fur trimmed cloak jars very badly. I do take the point about it illustrating his wealth (but I don't like it ).

I'm having a hard time placing this king in nature as well, it's a shame it isn't more clear in the image. I think Anna K. has used a different pith of the matter, she writes:
Anna K. on her website said:
The King of Pentacles is a calm, steady person, conscious of values and tradition. He is rooted to the earth, is pragmatical, practical and knows the worth of property, good food, entertainment and other joys of the senses. He is reliable and loyal.
I do can get this from the image.

About the fur - it stabs me too and it is unethical nowadays in the western world, but in other times it wasn't. I get a medieval atmosphere from the whole deck, and in those times the animals weren't exploited and tortured like they are now. It happened on a much smaller scale and it was one of the few durable natural things to keep warm.

I think it's wishful thinking to imagine he has something to connect him to nature in his chest but I LOVE your enthusiasm for this deck.

Haha yes, I'm trying to make it work ;) I love the deck as a whole, and I'm trying everything to make some of the cards fit in for me - I thought I might as well share it :)

Marirowana

About the chain mail

Scale mail armor

The only other person in the deck wearing this type of armor is the Knight of Cups. While writing about the Knight/Cups, I read a bit about the type of armor the king is wearing here. It shows his wealth and status.

Wikipedia said:
While several types of armor existed in the Roman legion, the lorica plumata was reserved for the use of military leaders (Tribunes and above, but typically Generals) due to the high cost of production, and maintenance. The name the Romans used for this type of armor is not known, lorica plumata being a descriptive term applied by modern scholars, referring to its resemblance to a bird's plumage.

The lorica plumata was basically a mail shirt with small feather-like scales attached to the rings. Requiring skilled labor and much time to create, this would have been an expensive piece of military equipment. And while many contest its utility on the field, it might have been used by Roman leaders due to its impressive appearance and its possible impact on the morale of soldiers