Transparent Oracle Study Group - Elementals and Polarities

NorthernTigress

What's the difference between an Element and an Elemental? An Element is an energy, an overall influence over the rest of the image. An Elemental, on the other hand, is the embodiment of that energy in a living being. The four traditional Elementals are Slyph for Air (East), Salamander for Fire (South), Undine for Water (West) and Gnome for Earth (North). Most, but not all Elementals are believed to be sentient; and all of them are seen as being able to interact with people. Thus Elementals, when they appear in a reading, are much more "direct".

I'm also including this category the two Polarities which Emily has associated with Above and Below. Represented as a a Red Dragon (Below) and a White Dragon (Above), they embody the opposite energies found in everyone and everything: fire and ice, emotion and logic, male and female, Celestial and Earthly. Although the Red and White Dragons come from a Merlin story, in which a young Merlin avoids becoming a human sacrifice by telling a prophecy of two dragons. However, these two polarized energies, and the balance between them, are seen in other cultures and symbols, such as the yin/yang.

Attachments

• All Elementals.JPG
    All Elementals.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 202

NorthernTigress

Sylph

The sylph is the traditional Elemental of Air, according to the alchemy of Paracelsus. In this oracle, it is represented as small winged being, something like a fae or a sprite. As a creature of Air, the Sylph has the least influence on the physical environment, but more mental influence. A sylph could be a Muse, a source of inspiration and imagination.

The sylph is as changeable as the wind, and as such can represent adaptation, or even shape-changing. The sylph can represent the gentler aspects of Air, but remember that the wildest Tornado or Hurricane is also Air.

Doing a little extra research, I found that sylphs don't have a lot of myth or folklore associated with them. The first mention of them (outside of alchemy) is in Alexander Pope's poem The Rape of the Lock in which the heroine is attended by sylph "servants". The term "Sylph", over time, has been somewhat absorbed into the general mythology of Faery.

NorthernTigress

Salamander

The traditional Elemental of Fire is the Salamander. In this deck, it is represented as a trio of tiny flaming lizards, with their heads pointing inward and their tails making a triskele shape in the center of the card. The Salamander is the least "sentient" of the Elementals, often being seen as a lizard-like creature that is able to live inside of a fire. It can be said to have other shapes as well such as globes, wings or tongues made of fire.

As a creature of Fire, the Salamander can be seen as representing chaos, intensity, or a potential for a "burn out". Fire can also be associated with change, where one thing is transmuted into another, like iron being forged into steel.

In contrast to the dangerous aspects of the element of Fire, the Salamander can be seen as a protective being. Both because it is able to survive in fire, and also because it is able to put out a fire. How? By consuming it as food.

That said, the Salamander can also represent something, or someone, that "consumes energy". The type of personality or entity that can "drain" those around it, physically, mentally or emotionally.

Personally, I feel that there is significance to the fact that this is the only Elemental whose image is at the center of the circle, rather than the edge, or somewhere in between. It could show extra emphasis, or it could mean that Fire energy is more focused than others.

NorthernTigress

Undine

The Elemental of Water is the Undine. In this deck, it is seen as a woman with long flowing hair, floating in water. Only her upper half is visible above the waves. Undines look superficially like mermaids, but usually are seen as full-bodied woman, not with a tail. An undine is Immortal, but has no soul. It can obtain a soul by gaining a human husband and producing a child. However, by gaining a soul, it loses its immortality, and often loses her husband as soon as she loses her beauty. The wrath of an Undine against an unfaithful husband can be frightening. In one story, a husband promised to be "faithful with every waking breath". When he cheated, she cursed him so that he would keep his "waking breaths" but would stop breathing if he ever slept. Today, a particularly severe form of sleep apnea is known as "Ondine's Curse".

The message of the Undine is a warning against the darker side of our own and other's emotions. It can represent, on the positive side, Love, Relationships and Beauty; and on the negative side, Infatuation, Seduction and Manipulation.

NorthernTigress

Gnome

The Elemental of Earth is the Gnome. In this deck, it is seen as a little bearded man in a green coat and hood. It is an image familiar to anyone who loves yard ornaments. I think it is because of the ubiquitous "garden gnome" that the Gnome is the most under-estimated of all the Elementals. On the other hand, the Gnome is the Elemental most likely to interact with people, so maybe the stone statues came originally came from a "live" model.

The "little bearded man" is not the only form that the Gnome can take. It has many other shapes, including one that resembles a giant toad. The Gnomes are creatures of nature, and guardians of nature, but they also have a connection to the land of Faery. Like the Fairies, the Gnomes respect people who respect them, and respect Nature. If you are worthy, then you may receive unexpected aid. But if you are dishonest or destructive, then expect to face mischief and misfortune at every turn.

The message of the Gnome is one of hard work, patience, and strength. On the positive side, it represents Guardianship and Responsibility; on the negative side, Mischief and Trouble.

inanna_tarot

fabulous insights and research there NorthernTigeress

NorthernTigress

inanna_tarot said:
fabulous insights and research there NorthernTigeress

*Blush* Very little of this is research. Most of it is already in the companion book. I'm just adding my $0.02 worth.

Chiska

I just ordered the T.O. and Amazon tells me it should be here on the 7th. I will be returning to these threads for your insights when I have it in front of me!