Next New Thing in Astrology

CosmicBeing

I have all of the necessary reference materials to do it, and all of the personal forms and other home-made aids I made for myself, but I wouldn't dream of doing it any more (although I did validate my old hand calculations with the computer software and found they were accurate).
That's very cool. It is nice to at least know the knowledge behind how the computer software gets to it.

I think it still forms part of Astrology qualifications awarded by the professional bodies. I certainly had to construct them by hand using a calculator and table of houses. Indeed I think when I first tried to construct one, even calculators were rare and certainly couldn't do the advanced mathematics required.

Indeed we had a question within the last year, I think, on books that would show how this was done. The member was starting a course in Astrology and had to construct a chart by hand rather than using a computer.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=232883&highlight=chart+calculation

I was going to start a course in one 2 or 3 years ago. But, the courses are always like a state over. :sad:

Thank you for the link. I'm checking out some books on horary astrology... but like ones i can get used for a good price. Just to introduce myself to the concept.

I like reading new stuff on metaphysics... it's better to have a bit of knowledge about everything. I am not sure if i be as great as both of you one day, but maybe just little baby steps to introduce myself. Never know i might really get into it.

Thank you both for the response. Sorry to veer off the topic a bit.

Etene

I'm checking out some books on horary astrology... but like ones i can get used for a good price.
Deborah Houlding benefits us with a list of decent scans and modern translations here, if you don't mind reading grainy, olde-ſtyle Engliſh. Lilly's Christian Astrology is, by virtue of being the first 1600's-era book to re-emerge in modern times, taken as the standard.

A good price? I suppose that depends on your printer's cost per page. I didn't sweat the investment.

Barleywine

Deborah Houlding benefits us with a list of decent scans and modern translations here, if you don't mind reading grainy, olde-ſtyle Engliſh. Lilly's Christian Astrology is, by virtue of being the first 1600's-era book to re-emerge in modern times, taken as the standard.

A good price? I suppose that depends on your printer's cost per page. I didn't sweat the investment.

FYI, the publisher of traditional texts, Astrology Center of America (whose founder and driving force - Dave Roell - has unfortunately passed on) produced a modernized version of Lilly's book that may be more accessible. I have the facsimile version that is a bit impenetrable.

Etene

FYI, the publisher of traditional texts, Astrology Center of America (whose founder and driving force - Dave Roell - has unfortunately passed on) produced a modernized version of Lilly's book that may be more accessible. I have the facsimilie version that is a bit impenetrable.
Morrison ("Zadkiel") made one in 1835. I suppose that the next modernization is due in another 180 years or so.

Barleywine

Morrison ("Zadkiel") made one in 1835. I suppose that the next modernization is due in another 180 years or so.

If I recall correctly, the modernization was limited to using a current typeface and a bit of reformatting. I go blind trying to discern the lower-case "s" from the "f" in my facsimile copy.

Minderwiz

Christian Astrology

I have Deb Houlding's version of Books I and II, published by Ascella. She typed it out using a modern typeface. and I have Book III published by Astrology Classics, which I think is the version mentioned by Barleywine. Both are in readable typefaces and both are excellent.

At the same time as the Lilly revival, James Holden was translating a lot of Arabic texts (which I think had already been translated into Latin). Most of Holden's translations were for his own interest and were only published when the traditional revival got underway. They are still excellent purchases and very readable.

Ronia

My favorite Masha-allah is available online for free or at least was a few months ago, as a PDF. Priceless.

I personally prefer to not read the so called modernized versions because I found out a number of misrepresentations of the original texts. The wording of the ancients is extremely important for understanding what exactly they meant. A number of modern astrological websites have misrepresented the exact wording and it led me a couple of times on the wrong path.

Minderwiz

Sahl and Masha'allah

Just following on from what Ronia said. For those who have Amazon's Kindle Unlimited, Ben Dykes book 'Works of Sahl and Masha'allah' is available free on indefinite loan.

It's probably more linguistically accurate than James Holden's translation (which I also have) but it's nowhere near as readable. The introduction though is well worth reading if nothing else. What lets the Kindle version down is that it's obviously a scanned version and somethings just don't come out like diagrams. So whatever you do, don't buy a copy.

Sahl and Masha'allah use an approach that fits closely to the Hellenistic period and Dorotheus of Sidon in particular.

CosmicBeing

Thank you. Appreciate it. I'll look at that link you provided.