University Books editions from 19XX to 19XX

coredil

Thank you Fulgour

it was exactly what I wanted to know.

fyreflye

Just a note to report that an eBay seller has just posted an alleged 1959 edition of the UB PKT on eBay. I queried the seller about color plates and he says his "1959" has b & w's. Buyer beware.

coredil

rare & collectable

So, assuming all 1959 UB edition of the PKT contain colored pictures, this one would be a "very rare and collectable item" ;)

Fulgour

B&w Ok

For myself it was the $7.50 book price printed inside
the cover that I wanted for my collection, to match
the 'List Price' on the printed advetising cards inside
my University Books Inc., NY 1104 sets of cards. ;)
Also the dust jacket reference to $5.00 Tarot Cards.

Edited to add: I finally got a colour-plate edition,
and it's older than the black and white printing.

lizziecat

University Book Card Differences

Just received my second copy of a University Books deck. I thought it could be a "backup" for my first deck, but there are very distinct differences.

The first deck I received had no box or LWB. The print quality is very poor as the colors bleed over the black line drawings and the "grey" colors have a distinct "pink" tinge.

The second deck I received had a box but no LWB. The box has the $5.00 price and the 11041 zip code. What is very interesting are the cards - the printing is much better than the first deck with true greys and no color bleeds. The ankh on the back is much smaller than the one on the first deck, and although the cards are the same size, the corners on this deck have a deeper rounding cut than the first deck.

I should also mention that the card stock on the second deck appears a bit stiffer than the first (the first deck bends more easily). Also, the second deck is more "sticky". I don't know why it would be as the deck appears to have never been used - its in excellent condition and doesn't seem dirty or anything.

Would I be correct in assuming that the second deck is older than the first? Has anyone who has more than one of these decks noticed the differences, and if so, are they any clues as to which might be older?

Looks like I'm going to have to keep trying to buy more copies of this deck :)

Lizziecat

The crowned one

I would like to get this thread going again. Does anyone have anything to add over the last couple of years?

I have two of these decks and will put in a few pictures below.

One box/deck that I have is very much like Lillie's and Cerulean's
University Books inc. New Hyde Park, New York 1104 but the "blank card" has a postal code of 11040 for the 5.00 THE PICTORIAL KEY TO THE TAROT rather then the boxes four digit code. This deck has brilliant. verging on gaudy colours and many cards have colour outside the lines. '60, '62, or '66 ?

This next deck is much more subdued in its colouring and much more precise in the beginning and end of the colours within the lines. I got this one from Lillie. It is a 2 piece maroon hard cardboard box and is a beauty. '59?

Attachments

• 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 364
  • 59-1.jpg
    59-1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 536
  • deck63.jpg
    deck63.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 387
  • deck63-2.jpg
    deck63-2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 371
  • deck63-3.jpg
    deck63-3.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 355

JenniferAbe

Hi, I just won a University Books deck on ebay. This is my first University Books edition and I'm very excited to get it.

The box shown on ebay looks hot pink with the fool on one side and it has the 1104 zip code on the other. I will post more as soon as I get the deck in the mail. I would love to learn more about publication dates, etc. from all of you as I have just recently started trying to add the older Waite-Smith decks to my collection.

Jennifer

Abrac

crowned one I love that maroon box!

53rdspirit

Grrrr...this University Press!

The first deck I won on e-Bay, I asked the seller if all the cards were present and I was assured they were --all 78 were there! Well, I won the cards and when I opened them, I counted them and there were 78. Later, like a week or so, I was sorting them and found two King of Wands and no King of Pentacles! Rats! 78 indeed!

Ok, so I tried again. Another set came up on e-Bay. I won them...all the suits and courts and majors are in order; however, upon sorting them one day, I noticed that the backs of seven of them are printed upsidedown! --the ankh is going the wrong way with no rhyme or reason--just randomly. Sigh....

Alright. I tried again. I wanted a complete, non-screwy University Press tarot deck. Another came up on e-Bay (by the way, they come up all the time) and it was a buy-it-now with the accompanying PKT with color plates for $20. Yes, I purchased it and as soon as I received them I went through them, counting, sorting, checking out the backs.

Success!

The crowned one

53rdspirit are all the boxes and postal codes the same? how about the "advertising cards"? (sorry for your bad luck)