Imperfections that endear a deck to you

McFaire

Imperfections...

I just recently tried trimming so the imperfections that are endearing me now are those that I introduce as I stumble and bumble through this new craft.

I was afraid to "mess up" a deck but I really wanted those borders and titles off. Then I had an epiphany. The messing up of the deck changes it from a mass-produced assembly-line product to a unique deck that is imbued my handwork and reminds me not to seek or expect perfection in my reading as well.

I learned to embrace the imperfections and now I love messing up my decks (or at least a select few) and I feel freer when reading.

FLizarraga

All these pictures and descriptions are like morphine. More! MORE!

Zephyros

All these pictures and descriptions are like morphine. More! MORE!

I'm loving the stories too! I'm reminded of the story of the Velveteen Rabbit who became real through the love of his little boy. At first he was fearful of losing his whiskers and fur but eventually became proud of his shabbiness because it was evidence of how Real he was to the little, and later on to everyone.

To me, every blemish on my deck is a story in itself which adds to the depth of each reading. It has only become more beautiful over the years, not less.

This isn't to say I'm not careful with my decks. On the contrary, I make sure to wash my hands beforehand if they're dirty, I keep beverages at a safe distance, etc. But Time does its thing to everything, decks as well as their owners. ;)

RiverRunsDeep

Love the pictures and the stories!

Here is my poor, battered Mythic Tarot which I've had for twenty five-ish years. I never meant to (purposely) abuse it, but it has suffered spills, has been Scotch-taped into a binder as a study deck, has been tossed into packing crates for various moves, has never lived in a proper box or bag, and has even been misplaced a time or two. The cards are soft and bendy and impossible to shuffle, and I don't really care for the artwork at all. How I love this deck! :D

Attachments

• IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 102

Teyata

Not quite in the same class - but I am very fond of my Japanese deck which includes a Queeb of Wands.

I also have a very odd RWS with writing all over it - I will dig it out to scan another day.

Haha! Yes! I laughed out loud at Queeb of Wands.

Me, I love my 77-card Turkish RWS. I found out someone had a removed a trump while looking through the pack in the shop, but bought it anyway. I've thought about printing a new card on cardstock and cutting it to *roughly* match the rest of the cards. But then, I only use that deck for reference, so I've left it as it stands.

delinfrey

My Sacred Rose has been with me for over a decade and has never actually lived in a box or a bag (I can't even remember when the box disintegrated).
The edges are just lightly grey, I am really impressed by the quality of print in that sense... Really has been through it all!

The cards have been stuck a thousand times, in sticky and wet and sticky-wet substances, a little bit has peeled off from:

Knight of Swords, Knight of Wands, Five of Pentacles, Two of Wands; honestly, just adds character to the cards!

Some backs are a bit peeled off as well.

Hanged Man has some red candle-wax on the upper right corner.

Creases on Five of Swords (that card was lost for some time as well, found it with the help of a pendulum from a pamphlet from Barcelona), Wheel of Fortune, Strength, High Priestess, Page of Cups, King of Swords, Page of Swords, Six of Wands, Moon, Queen of Wands.

Absolutely my favourite deck.