Why Receive Predictions?

jillkite

This might seem a bit of a strange question, but....
I work with tarot therapeutially, for self-development rather than for predictions.

Recently i received the contact details for a reader who makes accurate predictions, and i am very tempted to go and see her.

However my partner, was not so encouraging, and it got me wondering, what's the point of receiving predictions?
As i understand it a prediction is a prediction, it does not give you the opportunity to change something?

Thoughts and perspectives much appreciated.

CosmicBeing

I use predictions for me to help me understand how I can go about approaching the situation.

I use predictions more for therapeutic reasons.

Example: Say you were having major issues at work. You got a reading predicting the next coming weeks at work. You would be more able to change the situation and approach it in a better manner. If that makes sense?

So I feel prediction are to empower us so we can make the future the way we want it to be. Gives us more power on how our life plays out. Tells us...well what you are doing is making the situation more likely to become this... maybe you should approach it a different manner.

Very few things in life are set in stone and the things that are is usually because of our personality and how we react to things.

VGimlet

However my partner, was not so encouraging, and it got me wondering, what's the point of receiving predictions?
As i understand it a prediction is a prediction, it does not give you the opportunity to change something?

Thoughts and perspectives much appreciated.

When I'm doing predictive reading, I am also an advocate of the idea nothing is totally set. Predictions may give you the way to deal with things you didn't expect. They may be a heads up. They give you an opportunity, if you don't like what you're hearing, to find out if there is a way to change the outcome. Sometimes there isn't of course, but many times there are.

I am also highly skeptical and take everything with a grain of salt.

jillkite

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

So i understand it is two-fold:

i) to give you the chance to change things that are changeable
ii) 'forewarned is forearmed' about things that are unchangeable, i.e. it gives you a chance to approach things more wisely

I would be concerned about having a predictive reading that then caused me to worry about things unnecessairily, that is my great reservation i think.
Any further comments?

katey

I would say that even if I can't or don't want to change something, having some insight into what is happening can certainly change how I feel about it. I think this ties into how we approach it, but I mean in a way that we accept the actual event. For instance, we can approach a situation more lovingly and with compassion which can reduce the likelihood of guilt or regret. We might not change the event, but we can change how we feel about it and ourselves.

I also agree with what others have said. Just something extra to consider. :)

chongjasmine

For me, I rather not know the future.
Especially if the future is bleak.
I prefer to live life a day at a time, with no preconception of what will happen.

Aunty Anthea

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

So i understand it is two-fold:

i) to give you the chance to change things that are changeable
ii) 'forewarned is forearmed' about things that are unchangeable, i.e. it gives you a chance to approach things more wisely

I would be concerned about having a predictive reading that then caused me to worry about things unnecessairily, that is my great reservation i think.
Any further comments?

CosmicBeing is correct, nothing is written in stone

I fellow the principle of personal responsibility. I believe this to mean that everyone has a free will to determine their own future and path through life

I look on tarot readings as a way of making people more aware of opportunities and possibilities they might otherwise miss

I use my "gifts" to help to guide others with life's problems. I look on my role as that of helping to smooth a client's way through life's rough patches

Blessings

Alta

Coincidentally, last evening I was reading a book about the Bible and was reading the chapter discussing the book of Job. Job was given a prediction that Ninevah was to be destroyed because of its evil ways and the Bible says that the Lord told Job to go and preach to the residents. Which, after the big fish detour, he did. And the Ninevahite King believed him and the whole city did the sackcloth and ashes thing and the Lord spared the city.

Okay, theoretically a happy ending. But Job spends the last chapters berating his God for making him look like an idiot because his prediction didn't happen, because the Ninevahites changed their ways.

nisaba

A prediction is a prediction. If you know where you're headed now, you can either put your foot on the accelerator if you like where you're going, or you can wrench the steering wheel around and go somewhere else before you get there if you don't. If you don't know what lies ahead, how can you possibly make informed choices?

katey

If you don't know what lies ahead, how can you possibly make informed choices?

This kinda made me think that we do make our own 'predictions' about our actions when we're making choices... we make educated guesses about which will be the best choice to make, and if we're wise, we will monitor the progress and make adjustments as we go along.

Tarot can just be one more tool for getting some information about the potential outcome of those choices and actions (or inactions).