New Custom Tarot Deck Sales Tool

Freder

The assumption that "everyone likes a sale" is wrong. I'm not interesting in selling a few more decks in the short term. I'm interested in building a long-term audience. To but it in capitalist terms, I'm not interested in a short-term windfall but in "long-term prosperity."

Gimmicks like this don't assist me in reaching that goal. Sorry, but hey don't. Do you only care about The Game Crafter's bottom line, or are you truly interested in developing long-term strategies with your clients (like me: I've now published three decks with you) -- actually your tacit partners?

Laura Borealis

Today, I'm here to ask your opinion on something. We have launched a new crowd funding platform called "Crowd Sales" that helps designers sell more copies of their decks. You can read more about how it works here:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/help/crowd-sales

In a nutshell though, how it works is that a product is put on sale for 1 week, and the more people that buy it in that week, the cheaper the product gets for everybody.

I have a question. If the price gets cheaper the more people buy it, then the first people who buy it, end up paying more? Or do you retroactively level the cost for every buyer, somehow?

(Pardon me if that was answered in your helpful link - I read part of it but the white text on black started to play havok with my bad eyesight - not complaining, it's not you it's me)

PS

We're running our first Tarot crowd sale in a week and a half for Badgers Forest Tarot: https://www.thegamecrafter.com/crowdsale/badgers-forest-tarot

If you like this idea, and want to see it continue, please sign up to be notified about the sale starting. And share it with your friends.

That's a beautiful tarot, and I hope the sale goes well! :)

The Game Crafter

So anyone who disagrees or takes a contrary position is a hate speech?

Not at all. It wasn't that you disagree, simply the absolute disdain of your post. Tone, not message.

The Game Crafter

The assumption that "everyone likes a sale" is wrong. I'm not interesting in selling a few more decks in the short term. I'm interested in building a long-term audience. To but it in capitalist terms, I'm not interested in a short-term windfall but in "long-term prosperity."

Gimmicks like this don't assist me in reaching that goal. Sorry, but hey don't. Do you only care about The Game Crafter's bottom line, or are you truly interested in developing long-term strategies with your clients (like me: I've now published three decks with you) -- actually your tacit partners?

That's quite fair. You don't like sales, so this system isn't for you. Fair enough.

The Game Crafter

I have a question. If the price gets cheaper the more people buy it, then the first people who buy it, end up paying more? Or do you retroactively level the cost for every buyer, somehow?

(Pardon me if that was answered in your helpful link - I read part of it but the white text on black started to play havok with my bad eyesight - not complaining, it's not you it's me)

That's a beautiful tarot, and I hope the sale goes well! :)

We don't charge anybody's credit card until the end of the week. So that ensures that everybody gets the lowest price that the sale achieves.

Laura Borealis

We don't charge anybody's credit card until the end of the week. So that ensures that everybody gets the lowest price that the sale achieves.

Oh, cool! That's great. Thanks for the fast response.

So it behooves all buyers to spread the word about the sale, so everyone's price drops - that seems like a solid strategy to me. :)

starlightexp

Reading the opinions of several people can indeed help sway people one way or the other. The goal is getting several creditable persons to write honest reviews in order for people to have faith in the reviewer. Not every deck sent someones way is going to get an amazing review, and if they do then it means the reviewer is just writing talking points to sell the deck and not actually giving an honest viewpoint. When I read a gushing review on a site like Amazon I will click on the persons name to see what they are like, how many reviews they did, and how many are just all 5 stars. A reviewer that gives 5 stars to everything is not my kind of honest reviewer, I like to see someone that has had the nerve to give 2,3,4 star ratings and back those up with interesting insight on the deck they are talking about. If one is just looking for bullet points just hand them to someone in the office so they can say 'wow' and you now have a talking point. I for one am not shy about calling a spade a spade.

Most people buy decks based on if they like the art, and if the art 'speaks to them'. Art is subjective and hard to judge objectively. When I was taking my art history classes it was interesting to try and be objective about art that didn't just leap out at you and grab you at first glance. One project was to learn about an artistic style you didn't like and give a positive critique and vice versa. Sometimes it takes a study of the style before making that review or even talking with the artist to find out why they did what they did. We have had several deck creators at our monthly tarot symposiums and over the course of the interview one can gain more knowledge and understand the decks better. Unfortunately artists are pretty thin skinned and having someone not like their deck tough to hear. Decks are a labor of love, I know that first hand, but when one puts it out into the world one has to take the good reviews with the bad.

Due to the cost of decks+ shipping most people are a but more cautious of decks from TGC because the decks typically not the same quality of printing one would get from a coated playing card stock and spending that kind of money on a deck that is hard to justify. Most decks on TGC are about $35-$40+ shipping. I know that the developer sets the price but the cost to them is also very high. (I know because I priced things out when it came to printing the 3 decks I have made and found it way to expensive to bring my deck in under a $22 selling price) In this respects a sale would be helpful but you have to have the trust of the people in the reviews and the product before just offering them up. I would say try it out with your most popular decks first and see how it goes, build up confidence if the fact that THESE decks are indeed great decks. Some artists will get their feelings hurt but if you want to build up these sales as being of the best of the best decks then these things happen.

The Game Crafter

Reading the opinions of several people can indeed help sway people one way or the other. The goal is getting several creditable persons to write honest reviews in order for people to have faith in the reviewer. Not every deck sent someones way is going to get an amazing review, and if they do then it means the reviewer is just writing talking points to sell the deck and not actually giving an honest viewpoint. When I read a gushing review on a site like Amazon I will click on the persons name to see what they are like, how many reviews they did, and how many are just all 5 stars. A reviewer that gives 5 stars to everything is not my kind of honest reviewer, I like to see someone that has had the nerve to give 2,3,4 star ratings and back those up with interesting insight on the deck they are talking about. If one is just looking for bullet points just hand them to someone in the office so they can say 'wow' and you now have a talking point.

Most people buy decks based on if they like the art, and if the art 'speaks to them'. Art is subjective and hard to judge. When I was taking my art history classes it was interesting to try and be objective about art that didn't just leap out at you and grab you at first glance. Sometimes it takes a study of the style before making that review or even talking with the artist to find out why they did what they did. We have had several deck creators at our monthly tarot symposiums and over the course of the interview one can gain more knowledge and understand the decks better. Unfortunately artists are pretty thin skinned and having someone not like their deck tough to hear. Decks are a labor of love, I know that first hand, but when one puts it out into the world one has to take the good reviews with the bad.

Due to the cost of decks+ shipping most people are a but more cautious of decks from TGC because the decks typically not the same quality of printing one would get from a coated playing card stock and spending that kind of money on a deck that is hard to justify. Most decks on TGC are about $35-$40+ shipping. I know that the developer sets the price but the cost to them is also very high. (I know because I priced things out when it came to printing the 3 decks I have made and found it way to expensive to bring my deck in under a $22 selling price) In this respects a sale would be helpful but you have to have the trust of the people in the reviews and the product before just offering them up. I would say try it out with your most popular decks first and see how it goes, build up confidence if the fact that THESE decks are indeed great decks. Some artists will get their feelings hurt but if you want to build up these sales as being of the best of the best decks then these things happen.

Thanks, this feedback is very useful.

garmonbozia

Been a while since I've browsed on GameCrafter, but I just want to say "Thank You!" for adding the ability to keep a wishlist. It was a much needed feature.