Thoth study group (Individual cards)

Dragonfly

Thank you for the web-site. Just amazing to see some of the diffrent versions of the some of the cards. Thanks again.

moondust

strange2

WOW my thanks also for the links. The different designs were truly wonderful to see.
I haven't viewed everything there, (yet) but the moon card was intriguing also, especially the coloration.
Many thanks again.

moondust

Strange2

It's clear from these variants and work-in-progress designs that Lady Frieda Harris really put her spirit into the Thoth deck. For anyone who feels that the Thoth deck is "evil" and purely from the "debased" personality of Aleister Crowley, one only needs to look at the beauty of Lady Freida Harris' fascinating artwork to see the care and insights she gave to the card paintings. The Thoth deck is truly the Crowley/Harris Thoth deck, similar to how the Rider/Waite deck is the Waite/Smith deck.

There is very little documented background on Lady Frieda Harris. Here's a recent page from Paul Hughes-Barlow's site about Harris and other obscure magical personalities:

http://www.supertarot.co.uk/adept/friedaharris.htm

MystiqueMoonlight

OK all I think we all agree that this deck is truly wonderful.

I'd like to ask everyone though to just step back one card to the Fool and express their general understanding of this card and how the Fool card in this deck impacts on you. That is, as well as your general knowledge of what the Fool represents what other ideas come to your mind when you look at this card? Are their any special meanings in this particular card for you and what do you find is the most influential aspect of this card to you?

Is this ok with everyone?

Dragonfly

Hi everyone I was off yesterday. O.K. regarding the Fool card I have a couple of things when I look at this card. One is the leap of faith look with the feet are in the air no fear. Then there the look of a baby when they are on their backs wide eye look where everything so new they have that ready to take off on a new adventure. Thats all I can think of for now. :)

DeLani

suggestion

Hi guys & gals,
I hope I'm not missing something. I really want to get involved in this study group, and I see 2 threads for it. (I think?). Could we get our own "folder" or whatever it is called, like the other study groups, and have a thread on each card? Or would that take up too much space on the server?
So I guess for now, I'll just reply to the posts on the Magus & Fool.
Thanks,
DeLani

DeLani

MystiqueMoonlight said:
OK all I think we all agree that this deck is truly wonderful.

I'd like to ask everyone though to just step back one card to the Fool and express their general understanding of this card and how the Fool card in this deck impacts on you. That is, as well as your general knowledge of what the Fool represents what other ideas come to your mind when you look at this card? Are their any special meanings in this particular card for you and what do you find is the most influential aspect of this card to you?

Is this ok with everyone?

I agree with what was said about the Fool being like a baby, all limbs open and trusting. As Ziegler says it, the umbilical cord has 4 spirals, each with a different meaning. I find the horns (connecting him with Dionysus) interesting, tho.
DeLani

Kaz

maybe a thread a card? otherwise this one will get very long and hard to read in the end......

kaz

Dragonfly

That would be great I was hopeing that someone wanted to get the group going. I would but I feel I do not know enough. But I'am willing to help all I can. Blessings :)

jema

jumping in here

i don't know if this study group is active or not.
my card for today was 12, the hanged man and the deck i used is cosmic tribe - but i picked out the Thoth for comparison and even read some in the Book of thoth and i must say i am at a loss to what Crowley means with this card.
self-sacrifice and redemption is wrong and a bad idea, every man and every woman a star, worship the ignorant...

when i look at the man in the picture i see a man that is "blank" no features, like a foetus or a person long dead, just a mumble and a whisper of life in those cold constricted limbs. the blue grid under/behind him should be water(?) but looks like an iron-grid, trapping him.

any ideas on how i can close in on this card?
(i am looking for an easy way here, i know)