Oracles- tarots poor cousin!

Butterfly

Ooh, don't throw anything at me- that was the way I've always felt- that oracles are a distant second to tarot. I started with different oracles (Iching and angel oracles) about six years before I discovered tarot and never seriously looked back after I moved on.
Until the faery oracles. I've taken to them instantly and they have changed my view on the integrity and usefulness of oracles.
How does everyone else feel about tarot vs oracles?

Spasticgirlie

LoL this will probably get something thrown at me as well. I basically see tarot and oracle as the same thing. I own both and there are differences but in the end its basically the same thing. However I like my faery oracle best. Hehe I love my faery. After that its osho zen, and then its my dragon tarot. Of course those happen to be the only three that I own......but oh well. I love em all.

Jimilyn

Well, Butterfly and Spasticgirlie,

I own several of both tarot and oracle decks. I see them as similar, but structured differently. I also use them slightly differently at times as well.

I may do a reading with a tarot deck and then draw an oracle card as a special message.

Sometimes I use the decks quite similarly. A card of the day type thing. Heck, I teach first grade and *have* to be flexible. LOL ;)

Jimilyn

Butterfly

Oh, I don't see them at all the same. Not at all..
I find the tarot to be very structured, with a breadth and practicality that has been lacking in most of the many oracles I have used in the last twelve years.
I think very often people throw together a few images, give them names and voila! You have an oracle. For that reason I have found tarot to have more integrity (for lack of a better word)- it sticks to a basic structure. Even if the images are lacking the core of tarot remains the same.
I find much more philosophy and structure behind the tarot, that is lacking in most, but definately not all forms of oracle. Like tarot, there are many oracles that have stood the test of time- Runes, Iching etc.
Aah, oops, noticed I'm on a soapbox.
But anyway, my original point was that I find the faery oracle to have more depth and integrity than many of the oracles I have come across.

faunabay

First let me say I have and use both tarot and oracle decks - I love them both. I do agree with butterfly that they are pretty different divinations systems, but there are some things I don't agree with.

I have a friend who has the same type of opinion as you butterfly. At least it seems so. :) She doesn't like the oracles because they don't have the structure you and she like.

But here's my question - Do things have to have a set structure to be thought of as a "good" divination system?

Now my opinion is a big NO, it doesn't. Sometimes (not always) things with a set structure can be limiting.

Remember I said I have and use both. :) I think they have their own uses. I do find the oracles to be a bit scattered in their readings sometimes, where the tarot - with it's structure - can narrow things down. But on the other side of it, sometimes the tarot can be too narrow and miss some of the other meanings you can get with oracles.

So butterfly, when you said tarot has a "breadth" and "philosophy" that oracles don't I have to disagree. IMO oracles have much more breadth than tarot, the sky's the limit with oracles. You aren't limited at all.

And tarot may have alot more history behind it than some of the oracles, but I don't understand the thought that is has more of a philosophy??? Can you explain that more please?

Butterfly

I do agree with you, Faunabay, just having a shocking time expressing myself LOL.
Now let me try again. Hmm.
Now some oracles- and I definitely do not say all- seem to me to be light on underlying philosophy- as I said slap a few pictures you've collected together with key words and call it an oracle.
I do use a lot of them too- Healing with the Angels, Healing withthe Fairies, I ching and now Faery Oracle. I really like all of these.
I don't think it's about structure, I live in a chaotic world and thrive on lack of structure. I mentioned structure only because it lends an underlying philosophy to the cards. Maybe it's the archetypes presented by the tarot cards that really speak to me.
Maybe it's an underlying philosophy or spirituality that I find lacking in modern oracles. they seem a little shallow, less thought out.
Not making it a bit clearer am I! It's a very individual thing, and i know what feels right for me can't be right for everyone.
Almost forgot (had to edit)- what do I mean by underlying philosophy? Maybe a consistent system of thought or belief that ties the cards together. Something that touches my higher self, something a little divine. Sorry, my thoughts are shifting and evolving (devolving? LOL) as I speak.

faunabay

Butterfly, you what's kind of scary? I understood you! ROFL

But I don't think I could explain it any better than you did! LOL

Butterfly

Oh, thank the goddess LOL
If I had to explain myself any better, I'm sure my brain (not to mention my argument) would completely fall apart
ROFL.
Oh, by the way, I just recently picked up a lovely tumbled aquamarine and some mangano calcite which is a gorgeous peachy sorbet colour- delicious!

jade

i don't know if soul cards are considered an oracle................but i love them.

:)
jade

faunabay

Butterfly said:
Oh, by the way, I just recently picked up a lovely tumbled aquamarine and some mangano calcite which is a gorgeous peachy sorbet colour- delicious!

Ohhhhhh! I'm sooo into calcite! I just love all the different colors!
I've been kind of holding off sending you the crystals because I was going to try to get to the mine again soon. See what else I came up with! :) But who knows when that'll be now, so I'll send you some of the hundreds I already have. LOL
Oh, that mangano calcite just sounds beautiful!!!! I've got some great lime green calcite chips I've put into my medicine bag! I don't know what it is about calcite, but I do just love it!!! :D