Best Tarot books you've come across?

Khatruman

My highest kudos to The Forest of Souls for helping me break out of the "this card means...., that card means....." box. Most people recommend this to more advanced studiers, and I agree that you probably should slog through some historical material first to get a background. However, I recommend staying away from books that want you to memorize cookie cutter meanings for the cards.

As far as a beginner's book, Mary Greer's Tarot for Your Self is good when it gives you workbook exercises to do in order to develop your own intuitions about the cards.

Rusty Neon

Alain Bocher's book in French, Cahiers du Tarot, Volume I, is an esoteric book on 1760 Conver Tarot de Marseille and is an interesting work of literature at the same time. Like many esoteric books, it's a book that requires several re-readings, for those like me with less esoteric background at least. A randomly selected section from the book is wonderful bedtime reading.

sassygirl3124

My favorite book so far is def.

Tarot for Yourself by Mary K. Greer

I have many other books on the tarot but none come close to this as of yet. Although I am alittle intrigued about the Forest of Souls book that everyone keeps recommanding maybe I will look into purchasing that one next.

Julie

Auroramyst

I like:

Tarot: Plain and Simple
by Anthony Lewis

This book is a great beginner guide, written in a conversational style. I've found it extremely helpful, and I keep it on-hand when I do readings. It gives many key-words and phrases, plus an explanation of the "situation and advice," for each card. It's a great companion for the Robin Wood tarot deck, as it features card illustrations.

Phantom Goddess

I love the books Tarot for a New Generation and Complete Book of Tarot Reversals.

Cerulean

Two books I like to revisit

Tarot of the Magicians--Oswald Wirth. Much symbology and a sweet tone to the writing..

The 290 pages in a nice compact book that comes with the deck--Ananda Tarot from AGMuller. Numbers, thoughtful reflections, deck images and symbolism, traditional meanings, majors and minors treated with equal respect and ten layouts. Also a kindly tone to the writing.

Regards,

Cerulean

darwinia

My favourite of several books is Tarot and the Tree of Life: Finding Everyday Wisdom in the Minor Arcana
by Isabel Radow Kliegman

One of the few books that deals with the Minors with depth. She is humorous too and very insightful about human nature. A book with character and a fresh look at things. Lots of wisdom about the human condition.

I also could not live without my 3 volumes of the Encyclopedia of Tarot by Stuart Kaplan. The owner of my tarot store has a standing order to get the 4th volume for me when it comes out.

Shalott

"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot and Fortune Telling" is absolutely wonderful for beginners, or RE beginners like me! I don't know if I would have picked the cards up again without it.

That book for the Pythagorean deck, that Feebie posted, well, the majors are way different but I've been using the Minors section to learn Marseille pips! YAY!!!

I got this little gem from Amazon called "A Tarot Workbook, an IQ book for Tarot Practitioners," which is by the same woman who created the "Beginners" deck, based on Marseille. She lays out spreads and the issue and you can basically test yourself, the only truly unfortunate aspect is that it ascribes RWS meanings to Marseille-style pips. But I like the concept because there are just days when I can't concentrate on an issue long enough to shuffle, but I still want to interpret and practice.

And "Professional Tarot" by Christine Jette.

northsea

Tarot for Your Self- Greer
Underground Stream - Payne-Towler (tarot.com)
Revak website - parallel meanings
Tarot Dictionary - Butler
Tarot- Cavendish
Medieval Scapini little white book (has the basic Kaplan meanings)
Tarot- Douglas
Tarot Symbolism (or tarot.com website)(I don't have it)
Renaissance Tarot (the book)- Brian Williams
Encyclopedia of Tarot ( I don't have them)

Phantom Goddess

I have a new favorite, Tarot for a new generation. I love that book its wonderful. :)