Umbrae's Relationship Spread Study

WhiteRaven

Ok...this is to try and learn Umbrae's Relationship Spread.
I've pulled some cards for the purpose of learning this.
I've asked the moderators where would be the best place to post this and they directed me in the Study Group/General section of the Forum.

First Column - Person 1

VII of Cups
III of Cups
VIII of Swords

Second Column

Emperor
World
Justice
II of Pents

Third column - Person 2

Magician
V of Pentacles
II of Swords

I think we start with Person 1...right?

So if I were to read this column then it would be from top to bottom.

So what I see here is Person 1 is disillusional about the said relationship and they are not seeing the reality of it. They aren't getting what they expect from it and are in denial. The III of Cups says that what she needs at this point is friendship and the VIII of Swords basically is saying that she's becoming or is in a depression. This resulting from the disillusions and not seeing the reality of the said relationship...

Am I getting this?

Imagemaker

This is a great one to study. I went back to find the specific way Umbrae describes the positions:

Left column
Person 1 Feels
Person 1 Needs
Person 1 Expected Outcome

Right Column
Person 2 Feels
Person 2 Needs
Person 2 Expected Outcome

Center Column
Core (what the relationship is founded on)
Needs (what the relationship needs)
What we can expect of the relationship (expectations)
The future of the relationship. (Probable reality)

I'd read the first person as:
Feel a multitude of emotions in this relationship. Zooms from low to high in feelings, from minute to minute

needs to have celebration and joy in the relationship

expected outcome--is trapped in her anxieties and the scary worries. Stuck in her head right now.

Imagemaker

Second person:

Positive interp. would be that he feels good in the relationship, can mold it to what he wants, can find there what works for him. Negative might be that he's a manipulator and feels powerful in doing whatever he likes here.

Not sure about needs in the 5 of pentacles. Needs to be the benevolent caretaker of this poor woman (who is trapped in her anxieties) or needs to notice that she IS suffering.

Expected outcome--2 swords says (perhaps) he expects to be able to choose what he wants, slice this relationship to please him.

Will stop here and see what anyone else thinks.

Good thread, White Raven!

WhiteRaven

Imagemaker said:
Second person:

Positive interp. would be that he feels good in the relationship, can mold it to what he wants, can find there what works for him. Negative might be that he's a manipulator and feels powerful in doing whatever he likes here.

Not sure about needs in the 5 of pentacles. Needs to be the benevolent caretaker of this poor woman (who is trapped in her anxieties) or needs to notice that she IS suffering.

Expected outcome--2 swords says (perhaps) he expects to be able to choose what he wants, slice this relationship to please him.

Jumping here a little till I get some feedback from Umbrae...the Emperor is the foundation of the relationship...Emperor = Aries ... "I" "Self"...ha..here comes the twist..roflol...1st house is ruled by Aries....I think the foundation of the relationship was a "I" for both...in otherwords they weren't thinking about what the other person was needing/wanting..etc...they were thinking about what only "they" needed as individuals...kinda selfish but that's my take on the Emperor...so if that's the case then Person 1 is definately in the clouds with her own selfish expectations of the relationship and take that theme down the column hmmm...yes? no? ohhhh UMBRAE....LOL ;)

WhiteRaven

Imagemaker said:
Second person:

It's a possibility but I'm focusing on the Person 1 column right now...I have to go REALLY slow with this because last week I was ready to put my head through the wall and my cards out the window! :confused:

I'm going to tear this spread apart if I have to so I can understand it like I should. That's the Cappy in me...:laugh: ;)

Imagemaker

Slow is fine with me, have to give people time to find this thread and join in, too.

I had a thought about person 1: Down to the most basic, she:
feels cups
needs cups
expects swords

No wonder she's anxious, she doesn't expect to have her needs met. But no majors--does that imply that her worries and imaginings are not that significant?

WhiteRaven

Imagemaker said:
Slow is fine with me, have to give people time to find this thread and join in, too.

I had a thought about person 1: Down to the most basic, she:
feels cups
needs cups
expects swords

No wonder she's anxious, she doesn't expect to have her needs met. But no majors--does that imply that her worries and imaginings are not that significant?

This is the second draw I did on the same couple...I posted the second one because it seemed easier...why...I have no clue...but anyways...

This is what I got for the 1st Person (Same person) last week in column 1:

Hierophant
VIII of Swords
Justice

Things that make you go hmmmmm....I seem to be saying that a lot lately...LOL

WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven said:
This is the second draw I did on the same couple...I posted the second one because it seemed easier...why...I have no clue...but anyways...

This is what I got for the 1st Person (Same person) last week in column 1:

Hierophant
VIII of Swords
Justice

Things that make you go hmmmmm....I seem to be saying that a lot lately...LOL

btw...they are both women... :)

Imagemaker

Ah, okay, I'll correct my pronouns! Thanks for the heads up.

For reading practice, we need to have one set of cards for person one. Which one do you want to use?

feels Hierophant
needs 8 swords
expects Justice

gives a very different picture!

WhiteRaven

Imagemaker said:
Ah, okay, I'll correct my pronouns! Thanks for the heads up.

For reading practice, we need to have one set of cards for person one. Which one do you want to use?

feels Hierophant
needs 8 swords
expects Justice

gives a very different picture!

I know...I'm a bit confused on that and wonder if I shouldn't use the first spread instead...maybe the second is weaker than the first because it's about the same couple?