Overpriced and overrated decks

G6

Of course, even the value of art fluctuates. It is well known that paintings by famous artists become even more expensive after they have been owned by a celebrity.

That's dumb. The celebrity part.

ana luisa

There's no such thing as expensive cards. Obssession makes exhorbitant decks look affordable. :D

Zephyros

That's the market for you.

It is, and it also demonstrates how pieces notoriety can increase even if their rarity hasn't. While some in this thread have said they found the Hoi Polloi cheaply on eBay, its reputation as expensive and rare makes it so that it keeps getting more expensive. It has a mystique of being hard to find.

The Happy Squirrel

It is, and it also demonstrates how pieces notoriety can increase even if their rarity hasn't. [....] a mystique of being hard to find.

I don't know much about the Hoi Polloi, so can't comment on it. But you have hit the nail on its head here.

After all that has been said and done, it potentially, probably, pretty much boils down to this. For ANY "overpriced" decks out there. (I do realize that the definition of "overpriced" can be argued as a subjective one. Then it can be argued that the definition of "price" is what is truly subjective. And so on. And so forth).

Tennessee

Of course, even the value of art fluctuates. It is well known that paintings by famous artists become even more expensive after they have been owned by a celebrity.

Celebrities play a role of course, but other things too. The art market is worth 66 billion dollars right now, so a whole lot of things come into play.:)

Not sure if my tarot collection added to that 66 billion though!:)

Padma

Pretty much all over-priced, if you ask me. It's just cardboard. With pictures on it.