Evan Show "Lunatic Tarot" 2005

lunakasha

Adam McLean said:
The cards are printed using standard 4 colour lithography with a fine screen size (art quality). The printed surface appears to have been varnished to give a high gloss finish.
The gold colours are in the artwork and are depicted by the standard colour process, and not applied as a metallic foil as with some of the Lo Scarabeo decks - Golden Tarot the the Renaissance, etc.

I don't think you will be disappointed by the quality of the printing on the 'Lunatic Tarot'.

The image fills the total area of the card with no border.
There are also no titles to get in the way. Instead the title of the card and a black and white version of one of the Rider Waite decks is printed on the reverse. This is a nice touch.

The signature logo of the artist, Evan, can be a bit intrusive, I find. I wish this had been put in the bottom right corner, but it moves around the cards and is sometimes located in a prominent position. But well, the artist is justifiably proud of his work, so why not!

Thank you, Adam! :D

I appreciate all the detailed info, I can hardly wait to get a closer look at them! I LOVE the fact that they are borderless....and I am going to (don't laugh) figure out a way to shuffle and read with them, despite the size and different images on the backs....

I love the gold, even in scans it is incredible. I was just curious about whether it was foil-stamped or not, but it is obviously a high-quality printing!

Does anyone else find the Ace of Swords very appealing?
He almost reminds me of a younger, cleaner Jack Sparrow, LOL!!! :D

:) Luna

Cerulean

I looked at these prints again...

The best way for me is to first do a reading with the backs of the cards...grabbing my funny RWS version to match...then flip them over for the artist's take on the reading. Having the black and white images that Pamela Colman Smith had drawn is a very strong plus for me.

It's like looking into a regular tarot, then finding there's a difference in an artist's skewed humor or otherwise...then my own takes.

I have a feeling this is for those used to mixed styles of anime. For me, I'm okay that the images are not my usual preferred anime, because of what it sparks. I've begun sketching and thinking and writing a little more boldly and loosely--and that's good for me.

It maybe the unexpected edginess of modern tarots can be more inspirational to me--because it draws the unexpected out of me, as well.

I'm sorry I didn't have time to look at the gold or silver earlier. The gold ink actually appears like brighter yellow on a rich ground of colors, like windblown autumn roses, bronzes and there are delicate details embedded in the paintings--for instance, the hanged man has beautiful floral roses delicately etched and faded in the background....

I don't know if people collect art portfolios related to tarot art, this might qualify as an affordable one...for me, it's helping me to 'more boldly go' into inspiration and sketching with an edge.

I hope those who do order this are happy with their choice...the website should be helpful to those who want to decide if it's to their taste or not. I'm sorry that I missed the California shows of his art at anime conventions!

Cerulean

P.S. Yes, I agree there are more appealing and attractive cards in this deck than most. I'm not certain if it's a real reading deck, but it can be intriguing!

Sophie

I can't wait to receive these cards! Dan emailed to tell me the deck was on its way...ah!!

I'm hoping to do something very special with them, but I have to see them first. More when I do :)

lunakasha

Helvetica said:
I can't wait to receive these cards! Dan emailed to tell me the deck was on its way...ah!!

I'm hoping to do something very special with them, but I have to see them first. More when I do :)

Mine are also "en route"....looking forward to more discussion on these incredible images. Hoping to receive them Tuesday, but the waiting is *killing* me....:eek:

Thanks, Cerulean, for sharing your insights with us. It is wonderful hearing that this deck may actually ignite that creative spark within.....but I am not surprised at all. Just from what I have seen so far (six cards), the possibilities are endless!

:D Luna

lunakasha

Cerulean said:
I'm sorry I didn't have time to look at the gold or silver earlier. The gold ink actually appears like brighter yellow on a rich ground of colors, like windblown autumn roses, bronzes and there are delicate details embedded in the paintings--for instance, the hanged man has beautiful floral roses delicately etched and faded in the background....

Just wanted to say....your description of these colors is making my mouth water! I absolutely love those autumn hues.....*sigh* :D

Cerulean

If you have a Rider Waite deck and the website...

...maybe you can practice first by picking a card from the 'game' section and once it shows you the art, it identifies the card. Grab the appropriate card from a Rider Waite deck (I used the small pocket one) and then look at the picture again.

That is, if you want to try 'reading' as in a card a day.

The free wallpapers might assist in your favorite image, if you have your own system. I see only Tarotgarden has this: YesAsia seems not to have this any more.

Best regards,

Cerulean

prudence

uugghh

~okay, that's it, I can take it no longer....I must order this deck.....oh, you people and your enabling ways....and of course, I will try to shuffle and read with them too. :D

But seriously, Thanks Cerulean. I appreciate all of the info you have shared with us about this deck. :thumbsup:

Cerulean

Astrid and others (hope this works)

:TMOON*******
******:TQC****
**********:T9C
****************:)

lunakasha

Question....

I just visited the website again, and it mentions 80 tarot paintings.

Are there 80 cards in the deck or 78??? I was thinking maybe he included
two extra "title" cards...

Also, is there any way to view all the cards on the website???
I was only able to pull up cards by turning one over at a time, randomly, under "Games".

Thanks!

:) Luna

Cerulean

There are eighty paintings.

But no way that I know of to pull up all the cards.

I was just grateful to find the website had an English translation.

If others find a way, I'd also be grateful.

Cerulean