5 of Pentacles as how each of them feel (relationship)

think

I did a reading for my friend on her relationship with her live-in partner. She thinks things are "okay" in her relationship, but that maybe they aren't really going anywhere long-term.

I got the 5 of pentacles as his feelings for her... and then, she asked me for a shorter reading for her part in the relationship and I got the same card, the 5 of pentacles in the position for her feelings for him.

I see this as they both realise they're not really that well suited as lifelong partners, they just seem to be headed in the same direction for now and so they stick together, because why not? Who wants to be in the snow alone.

But the 5 of pentacles is usually a lot more painful/regretful/despondent in nature. Am I missing some obvious issues?

Sharla

They both feel like things have changed between them now and they're not getting the attention they deserve from each other, they feel lonely and deprived of affection from each other.

think

They both feel like things have changed between them now and they're not getting the attention they deserve from each other, they feel lonely and deprived of affection from each other.
Thanks! Sometimes it's more difficult to read for friends, because I see her from a different stance, knowing her well but being unromantically linked.

intuitivetarot

With 5/Pentacles, there's a feeling of lack, like something is missing--not necessarily because it's not there, but being so fixated in not having enough and not being able to see that they do have enough. Why did this word just pop into my head: retribution? Does someone feel like they're being "punished" in some way or being neglected for what they did to the other person or what one person perceived the other person did? Anyhow, it's not like the feelings aren't there when this card is drawn for a love reading--it's that the subject is unable to see that the feelings are reciprocated. So the subject would think that the feeling isn't mutual and that their love interest doesn't return the feelings. What needs to be done is that the love be expressed and acknowledged by other person--in this case, by the two of them since neither can see one likes the other and that the feeling is mutual.

tarot_quest

Anyhow, it's not like the feelings aren't there when this card is drawn for a love reading--it's that the subject is unable to see that the feelings are reciprocated. So the subject would think that the feeling isn't mutual and that their love interest doesn't return the feelings. What needs to be done is that the love be expressed and acknowledged by other person--in this case, by the two of them since neither can see one likes the other and that the feeling is mutual.

Very interesting take! I have never thought about it this way. Most people would think that there is no feelings (i.e. left in the cold). The need to express love is a nice spin on this card. You are on fire intuitivetarot ;)

think

With 5/Pentacles, there's a feeling of lack, like something is missing--not necessarily because it's not there, but being so fixated in not having enough and not being able to see that they do have enough. Why did this word just pop into my head: retribution? Does someone feel like they're being "punished" in some way or being neglected for what they did to the other person or what one person perceived the other person did? Anyhow, it's not like the feelings aren't there when this card is drawn for a love reading--it's that the subject is unable to see that the feelings are reciprocated. So the subject would think that the feeling isn't mutual and that their love interest doesn't return the feelings. What needs to be done is that the love be expressed and acknowledged by other person--in this case, by the two of them since neither can see one likes the other and that the feeling is mutual.
Hmm, yeah that would make sense. My friend tells me she isn't in love with her partner, but is happy enough. Maybe she is sending out signals to him that she isn't in love, so he is hurt and acting accordingly, which is making her feel like she isn't loved. But she could well be if she allowed it, and so could he.

So probably commitment issues.

intuitivetarot

Very interesting take! I have never thought about it this way. Most people would think that there is no feelings (i.e. left in the cold). The need to express love is a nice spin on this card. You are on fire intuitivetarot ;)
:) I meant to post this thread, in which I go into more detail, from just a couple of days ago: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=251251 The OP too asked about 5 5/Pentacles, but in combination with 6/Pentacles, so this thread, especially my description of 5/Pentacles in it, may be of value.

intuitivetarot

Hmm, yeah that would make sense. My friend tells me she isn't in love with her partner, but is happy enough. Maybe she is sending out signals to him that she isn't in love, so he is hurt and acting accordingly, which is making her feel like she isn't loved. But she could well be if she allowed it, and so could he.

So probably commitment issues.

So they're hurting each other? No wonder they feel so unloved towards each other. :/ This card is also called the "poverty" card for this very reason--like feeling like you're left out in the cold, rejected, neglected, abandoned. In this case, maybe there's distance in the relationship that's making them feel this way

think

So they're hurting each other? No wonder they feel so unloved towards each other. :/ This card is also called the "poverty" card for this very reason--like feeling like you're left out in the cold, rejected, neglected, abandoned. In this case, maybe there's distance in the relationship that's making them feel this way
Hmm, I don't think they're intentionally being abusive to each other. I'm just speculating as to the reasons why they're both maybe feeling they're not giving, or being given, the full amount they could be giving each other in the relationship. Both seem happy enough really.

Thirteen

You're reading them as being together out in the snow...but there is another angle. Maybe they each feel the other should move out...but maybe don't want to shove them out into the cold.