Dark "Nights"

NightWing

My copy of the "Tarot of the Thousand and One Nights" from Lo Scarabeo just arrived, and though I rather like it overall, I do have a question. To me, the images seem somewhat dim and dark. Assuming my eyes are not the problem, does anyone know if that is because the original paintings by Leon Carre were dark, or is this a modern printing issue?

Alternatively, it struck me that the original images may have been published a long time ago and darkened with age. If that were the case, could they have been lightened and brightened through digital enhancement prior to printing? Perhaps someone more attuned to the abilities of modern computers and such than myself could enlighten me (?) Thank-you in advance.

Cerulean

Here's a google search, two images on French sites

I was enchanted with Leon Carre enough to dig up via abebooks.com a collection of tales re-issued with his paintings. They seem dark and detailed, even from scans here of Leon Carre's illustrations:

http://images.google.com/images?q=leon carre &hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

I'm not certain how they digitized them...but the images are so elaborate and detailed to begin with, perhaps what we see is a darkened resulting copy of a copy?

Visconti deck editions that I see from U.S. Games after 1974-1975 seem to be darker than the ones available from the Italian scanned reprints (Dal Negro and Il Meneghello). I don't quite know what happens, I just have seen this in my different decks.

Best regards,

Cerulean