X the Tarot (Anime Deck)

Aeric

http://ryen.net/tarot/x/

I was digging through a drawer and forgot I had this Tarot deck, to my knowledge the only full 78-card deck officially licensed from an anime in existence. All other decks I've seen are Majors only.

You'd have to see the X/1999 series to understand the figures chosen for these cards, but many of them are wildly appropriate. The cards are quite long and narrow, very thick and difficult to shuffle, but very colourful and full of symbolism.

Does anyone have this or has seen the series?

rwcarter

I have it, but that's about all I can say about it. Never saw the series and don't know any of the characters.

JoLister

I also have this deck, no idea about the series but my deck arrived with 2x 2 of cups & no Ace!

Lil Red

My brother and one of his friends has the manga but not the anime.

Edit: Nope, just found out that he does indeed had the anime

Alta

I have this deck, but as I didn't know the anime, I have always found the deck baffling.

Aeric

The series is very good. It's a smorgasbord of Tarot symbolism, as it's an apocalyptic story with tons of mystical and occult imagery drawn from ceremonial magic, Biblical lore, and Kabbalah.

The world is ending and fourteen people each with mystical powers are divided into two factions: the Seven Seals want to protect humanity from the coming end because they believe we are the key to creating a new, better future. The Seven Angels believe that humanity is the cause of the world's end and the slate has to wiped clean for the future to begin anew. Naturally, the two sides are at war.

Key to the conflict is a young man named Kamui who has the strongest mystical powers out of anyone; he's almost literally a walking god. Kamui's destiny is to side with either the Seals or the Angels to save or destroy humanity, but he doesn't care to choose and actively resists. Eventually he will have to choose, but his choice also determines the fate of another man, his childhood friend Fuuma. Fuuma was born as Kamui's "twin star," with equally incredible powers, but Kamui's choice of side will place Fuuma on the opposite side, pitting them against each other. The Seals and the Angels fight each other but also spend time trying to convince Kamui to join them, thereby cementing their destinies and determining the fate of the world. Fights, conflict, emotional struggles, yadda yadda, great series. Watch it!

The X Majors are mostly characters chosen to fit each of the RWS archetypes according to their stories in the series, and the Minors show the relationships they have with each other.

blue_fusion

I didn't know a full deck exists! Wow. It's been over 10 years
I really love CLAMP's style - the ornate mystical, magical decorative quality in their illustrations - I have several art books done by them

madhatter00o

I've seen X and adore CLAMP's art! Even though the series is dark, the illustrated images are a joy to lose oneself in.

I will have to track down this deck now... XP