Samhain Deck of the Bastard - 2nd

seven stars

Essjay & whoever else is not on my mailing list that wanted to be - if I missed you somehow PLEASE send me your email now & I'll send you the codes for a discount if you haven't already ordered. At one point I think my computer re-booted before I saved my list.

I'm glad some of you are getting yours already! The idea I had with this one was to use the Tim Holtz ANTIQUE PHOTO stain or something black/sooty. The Antique Photo stain is a dark brown & either that or black would look cool around the edges - anyone with a good camera pretty please snap some pix for me???

FLizarraga

Yeah, ordered mine about 30 min after Seven sent the first mail. If you could post some pics that would be great :)

Well, lucky YOU! I wasn't on her mail list then for some reason, so I missed the early-bird discount... :p

I took some pics. I'll share the link as soon as they finish uploading. The light is not the best. Cat not included.

seven stars

Well, lucky YOU! I wasn't on her mail list then for some reason, so I missed the early-bird discount... :p

I took some pics. I'll share the link as soon as they finish uploading. The light is not the best. Cat not included.

Well Felix I will definitely make it up to ya hon! =))

agviz

I got mine yesterday and it's very much to my liking. As FLizarraga points out, the borders in this deck work really well. I love how the imagery "steps out" from within the borders. The grittiness, the borders, and the occasional touches of humor make this deck a definite winner for me. I still love the original with those spider backs, but I might like this even more thanks to the design and the aged look.

If there's any crit, I would say the minors are a little dark for my taste, some more than others. An example would be the 5 of Cups. However I appreciate the overall intent to keep things dark and spooky, and that's what this deck excels in!

I've become rather addicted to applying edge treatments on decks. I'll do some antiquing or maybe just darkening on these edges and post some shots. I look forward to bonding with the deck that way when the time permits.

So thanks Seven Stars - very delighted with your new work!

agviz

Nice comparisons there!

FLizarraga

When I take hi-res pics with my iPhone, for some reason it duplicates them, so what is really five or six pics looks like a dozen.

I wanted to show the contrast, you know. These are two decks by the same artist, with the exact same imagery, and yet so different!

And I agree with you, agviz, I found some of the minors almost too dark, in the same way that I found some of the cards in the original DoB a little too-well aged, making them hard to read. But I guess that's the price one pays for character and nuance. And I can tell you for a fact this is nothing compared to the Tyldwick. You need direct lighting and a magnifying glass to make THAT one out! 8-P

FLizarraga

I've become rather addicted to applying edge treatments on decks. I'll do some antiquing or maybe just darkening on these edges and post some shots.

Please do. That should be interesting.

seven stars

it's the darn fairy holiday. held everything back a week.

Linfang

Wow, thanks for the pic! They look great. My Distress Ink is already waiting to give them a nice used touch on the edges. I treated all decks I got from Seven with the ink, it intensifies the antique look to makes them look even more mysterious.