Barbara Walker Tarot - Please Tarot Gods or U.S. Games Reprint This Deck!!! :-)

Tanga

Lady Luck has winked at me.

I just glanced on Ebay for this deck on the off-chance - and found someone selling it in the UK, with the book, for £27.
Hmm. So - I should have a copy soon.

:)

G6

Lady luck has winked at me.

I just glanced on Ebay for this deck on the off-chance - and found someone selling it in the UK, with the book, for £27.
Hmm. So - I should have a copy soon.

:)

Wow! Good for you!!! :)

Chiriku

The Barbara Walker is brazenly strange. With a sort of eerie 50s vibe. I wrote a blog post on it once, you might want to read it (goldenVI).

I'm surprised it hasn't occurred to you that it was that very blog post that lit the fire in many people, precipitating the deck's sudden rise in popularity.

As soon as i saw the topic of this thread, i thought of that post.

People listen to trusted art and film critics; why not tarot critics?

And talking of being a trusted critic, I'd like to retract my previous praise for Dreaming Way when it debuted. I was trying to temper my tastes to allow for the more whimsical and carefree, but ultimately it grated on me and I traded it. Hopefully it worked for a few fellow curmudgeons, though.

Le Fanu

I'm surprised it hasn't occurred to you that it was that very blog post that lit the fire in many people, precipitating the deck's sudden rise in popularity.

As soon as i saw the topic of this thread, I thought of that post.
I'm flattered. But I think the deck was always a stalwart deck (is that the right expressions?), like always there, always in print.

(I wish I had time to write more. Do people still read blogs? Or is it just more instagram and stuff? I have to confess,I have stopped reading blogs but that's just me...)

But I do think this deck deserves to be in print. It's an oddity but a glimpse of what tarot once was; not afraid to be scarey and odd, edgy before the word got hijacked by the fashion industry.

Chiriku

I'm flattered. But I think the deck was always a stalwart deck (is that the right expressions?), like always there, always in print.

Yet it is the deck's long and steady track record that makes one wonder why it would experience a rapid increase in popularity, now, isn't it? I don't think going out of print/becoming less available *alone* explains it, just as that isn't a sufficient explanation for why the Greenwood is currently top dog in the rare/out of print deck market.

(I wish I had time to write more. Do people still read blogs? Or is it just more instagram and stuff? I have to confess,I have stopped reading blogs but that's just me...)

I remain subscribed to the half dozen tarot blogs--yours included--I've been subscribed to for a few years. From what I've observed, it's the authors of those blogs who have backed off; I suspect if they started posting again, they'd find their readership (largely) intact.

Tanga

My Ebay sent Barbara G .Walker deck arrived.

I had forgotten just how awesome it is! Lol. <pirroettes like a kiddie> :) :)

(As I may have mentioned - this deck was one of the first decks I ever saw "in person" - as my sister has a copy and it was seeing hers that set me on the path of checking out the esoteric bookshop to explore the possibilities of Tarot etc. This was in Holland, the 1st time I'd set foot in an esoteric bookshop, and it was, and still is I think, called "Der Wijze Kater"/"The Wise Cat". Her book was the 1st I read on the subject of Tarot. And it was also when I bought my 1st book on Wicca.).

I was reading the comments about large white borders and the suggestion about trimming
them - and I was thinking (Hmmm - so am I gonna end up trimming when it arrives?).
But actually - the deck is smaller than I was expecting and fits perfectly-in-the-hand.
And whilst looking I've decided that the white borders lend more to the stark witchy-ness of the style of artwork. So, no trimming.

Wahey!

I'd love to stain the edges red... tricky though - as the borders are all white.

G6

My Ebay sent Barbara G .Walker deck arrived.

I had forgotten just how awesome it is! Lol. <pirroettes like a kiddie> :) :)

(As I may have mentioned - this deck was one of the first decks I ever saw "in person" - as my sister has a copy and it was seeing hers that set me on the path of checking out the esoteric bookshop to explore the possibilities of Tarot etc. This was in Holland, the 1st time I'd set foot in an esoteric bookshop, and it was, and still is I think, called "Der Wijze Kater"/"The Wise Cat". Her book was the 1st I read on the subject of Tarot. And it was also when I bought my 1st book on Wicca.).

I was reading the comments about large white borders and the suggestion about trimming
them - and I was thinking (Hmmm - so am I gonna end up trimming when it arrives?).
But actually - the deck is smaller than I was expecting and fits perfectly-in-the-hand.
And whilst looking I've decided that the white borders lend more to the stark witchy-ness of the style of artwork. So, no trimming.

Wahey!

I'd love to stain the edges red... tricky though - as the borders are all white.

Good for you! I'm happy you found a copy! I wouldn't alter it a bit! :)