Etteilla Tarot III

debitutchi

I know there aren't too many Etteilla Tarot III deck options out there, but other than the loscarabeo book of thoth (which looks great, though a little glossy for my tastes)…does anyone have any other versions?

Such as ..

1) Tarot Egyptien, Grand Jeu de Oracle des Dames published by Dusserre in Paris
2) Grand Jeu de Oracle des Dames published by Alberto Peruzzo

Wondering if any of these are more matt finish….

I like the look of the LoScarabeo, but I was looking for a thicker less glossy card stock if it is out there…or tell me I'm just being dumb and I should go with the Book of Thoth LoS version...

bonebeach

I have the LoS Book of Thoth and the cardstock doesn't seem glossy at all? I could be wrong--I'll dig my copy up and check.

But I would love to know of a different version all the same. More historical deck options, hooray!

debitutchi

Not glossy? Thats interesting. I think there is a second edition of the Book of Thoth out now that has a different card back design (like a brown with gold flourishes). I was watching a review of it on YouTube that was posted not too long ago…the light made the cards seem glossy--but let me know! Love to hear more about everyone's versions! Yay historical decks, indeed!

RiverRunsDeep

I have the Grand Jeu de Oracle des Dames published by Dusserre.
The card stock is no thicker than that of Lo Scarabeo decks and, in
my opinion, it is glossy. I certainly wouldn't call it matt. I don't have
the Lo Scarabeo Book of Thoth deck for comparison, so I don't know if
you are being dumb, and I certainly wouldn't tell you so in any case. :laugh:

debitutchi

Thanks guys! Anyone have the Alberto Peruzzo edition? Thanks RRD, I'm glad to hear what the Grand Jeu de Oracle des Dames Dusserre is like!

I'm waiting on the Sola Busca Revisited deck by Seven to see what her card stock feels like…I think her deck of the bastard may be the best way to get most of the Etteilla III majors with some cool mixed-in Soprafino! Just wish the pips were the Soprafino pips--I have a love/hate relationship with the RWS minor arcana.

Le Fanu

I think the LoS Book of Thoth deck is the best Etteilla III you can get. I much prefer it to the Dusserre.

debitutchi

Thanks Le Fanu! Nice to hear perspective from someone who has both. What specifically do you like more about it?

bonebeach

I took mine out to check, and maybe I have the later edition, if there's a difference in editions, but mine is SUPER matte. I couldn't get it to reflect lamplight even when I tried. I'll snag a picture in sunlight tomorrow, but really, I think the LoS version is very good.

Le Fanu

Thanks Le Fanu! Nice to hear perspective from someone who has both. What specifically do you like more about it?
I think the colours are richer in the LoS. It is more recent so it's like the printing feels more up to date and sharper, captures more subtlety. It captures well the atmosphere of an old deck. I'm so used to the LoS and got the Dusserre afterwards so it always feels ever so slightly off. It's a tiny difference in colour really.

dancing_moon

I've been looking through my copy of the LoS deck, and sure, they're quite glossy, but not overly so. I can see light reflections if I specifically position them against the light source, but when I'm reading with them, they rarely catch any light, and it's not like they're blindingly glossy when they do. And now that the cards are starting to show wear, they also reflect a bit less light than they used to, so they're becoming less glossy over time.