Best Rider-Waite Issue

Zephyros

Just a question. Aside from serious collectors who obviously look for "the best" and most accurate reproduction, why is the USG standard version so looked down upon? For me, not being a collector, it is what it is, and serves me well in that capacity. I never did read with it often, preferring clones like the Morgan-Greer (when I was into RWS decks, which isn't the case anymore) over it. Now, for the purposes of study, I obviously need it over any clone, but I don't understand why it is hated on so much.

VioletEye

Just a question. Aside from serious collectors who obviously look for "the best" and most accurate reproduction, why is the USG standard version so looked down upon?

well there's just one thing that bothers me about it: the standard type font on the card titles, as opposed to PCS's hand-drawn letters. i think they really take away from the vibe, in my opinion.
and of course, if i had my way, there wouldn't be a copyright in the corner, but i can live with it - all cards these days have them.

ETA: i should say that i'm definitely not a serious collector, i'm just picky about my cards :)

Le Fanu

Just a question. Aside from serious collectors who obviously look for "the best" and most accurate reproduction, why is the USG standard version so looked down upon? For me, not being a collector, it is what it is, and serves me well in that capacity. I never did read with it often, preferring clones like the Morgan-Greer (when I was into RWS decks, which isn't the case anymore) over it. Now, for the purposes of study, I obviously need it over any clone, but I don't understand why it is hated on so much.
It's the backs (to start with). OK, in descending order; Horrific backs. Then poor colour reproduction quality. Then (if you're unlucky enough to get a contemporary version), the non-Calligraphic titles. Something ill-fittingly typefaced.

Take out/ change those things and it would be a very nice edition indeed.

Richard

The poor printing of my standard RWS deck bothers me a lot. I have a mini Belgian that is very nice, and a pocket Chinese which is okay, and two older decks which are much better than the more recent standard printings. For me, the best of them all comes with the PCS Commemorative set, but that's a matter of taste.

greatdane

I'm with LRichard on this one

PCS Commemorative by a mile for me. I also really like a standard size older belgian printed US Games Universal Waite, which isn't a "standard" RWS, but is still nice.
While it isn't just because of the plaid backs (I know many don't like the PCS Commemorative backs, but I do) on some of the RWS decks, but the images, I really don't care for plaid backs at all.

Abrac

I never had a problem with the US Games version until I started coming here and got a look at the originals. It became clear the USG version is pretty mediocre by comparison. I don't as much hate it as I wish someone would publish a true reproduction of a Pam A with crackled backs and thick stock.

The USG backs and the copyrights are unfortunate, but the non-calligraphic titles go beyond unfortunate, they're an abomination. But that doesn't mean it's a total loss. The ones with calligraphy are acceptable, and the ones with calligraphy and no copyrights are better, imo.

Zephyros

I see your points. I guess that when images become so famous and ubiquitous, one stops thinking about them, how good they are, the printing, etc. as I suppose happened to me. It is a shame USG didn't think of releasing the Commemorative as their staple deck. I've always felt the Commemorative was like an admission their regular RWS was inferior, which begs the question "why not improve it?"

Even with lower production value, on regular cardstock (as the actual printing process is probably the same) releasing a better deck as their "basic" deck would be a great service to its legacy. I hope they think about it after it has its run.

emmsma

For me, the "Best"deck is an emotionally loaded question. Best for me is my first deck. I gave away that first Yellow Box Rider, but still have that Pocket Rider that I bought when I was 15.

I can't tell if its blurry or poor quality because I was using it for 25 years before I started collecting and had other decks to compare it to. Its just a trusted friend and the first thing I think of when I think of RWS.