Tarot.com

SharonElizabeth

Has anyone here ever used this site for readings? I used to before I studies tarot deeply, and now that I know more about tarot I look at the meanings that come up for the cards and they just don't jive with the traditional meanings of the cards. There is usually a paragraph in the reading where the meaning of each card is explained in relation to the position. I know there is a little interpretation that would be involved here, but their interpretations seem completely off center. Has anyone else noticed this? I still enjoy Tarot.com because they have a page where you can check out every single card in the decks they have on file. I've used it before buying decks to make sure it's something I really want. However it just doesn't click with me for readings anymore.

Jenny-Li

Someone once tried to get me to write interpretations for a similar internet-divination tool... I refused, and told them straight out that I never read the cards the same way in two different readings, so how am I supposed to write an interpretation that will work in every reading?? It's like the "one size - fits all"-concept, the only thing that can be said about it is that it generally doesn't fit anyone...! ;)

I just don't believe in the idea of trying to make fixed interpretations like that. Just look at the tarot-literature, the best books, the ones that you can hang on to, that you don't outgrow within the first year of your tarot-introduction, those are the ones that just lead your mind in the right general direction of where the card's characteristics may be founds, but leaves the interpretation open to each and every reader.

I don't know if there is some other explanation to the tarot.com-phenomenon, but I would guess it's just that those interpretations are someone's personal thoughts about the cards, and that if you and me sat down and rewrote them, they would still differ to a very great extent. There is no one true and correct interpretation of the tarot, and a real live tarot-consultant is probably the best way to get real useful answers from the cards!

Jenny :)

jmd

At some stage last year, I thought I'd check out the (free) three-card readings available.

I found the interpretation of the cards quite consistent with what you may expect from generous but 'fixed' meaning - certainly would pass any test any examination board may set ;).

Nonetheless, I do think that understanding Tarot, reading with it, and learning about it, may be assisted by such automated readings. For an actual reading, however, I would stick to a live person, who's responses to subtle cues and the listening of that small voice within plays in-to the reading.

Tarot.com, of course, has more to offer than just karma coins and readings... and it is well worth a look.

Mimers

I actually went to this site often when I first started learning. It was very helpful for me. It was especially helpful in learning how to relate the meaning of the card to a certain position.

I don't use it much any more, I much rather do the readings for myself, but like I said it was very helpful when I was first learning. I will also add that they gave away so many free karma coins that over the past year I have only purchased them once.

Mimi

wavebreaker

I've used tarot.com several times for readings in the past, but they didn't make much sense to me. You only get a general interpretation of the cards, and not an interpretation based on the question you asked and based on the other cards in the reading. That's a limitation of all automated readings.

However, as automated readings go, tarot.com is pretty much ok.

And I do use the site every now and then to check out decks. ;)

Kundalika

Cards picked

Hi,

I've noticed a strange thing about the cards I pick at tarot.com.

In a free career spread, I only picked out Wands and Coins.

In the free Love spread, I seemed to pick out a lot of cups. is this a coincidence, or does their program ensure that you pick out a certain suit of cards?

Interested in your views, as I am still learning. Thanx.

SharonElizabeth

Thanks for all your views. Something did come up that I guess I didn't think of, that there is always a bit of interpretation to the cards. Whomever wrote those interpretations will see the cards differently than I would. Not to mention, they are pretty general and don't always apply to what you are asking about.

It is a helpful site, I used the articles on that site when I was first learning and I will check out deck there from time to time. That site is the reason I gravitated towards the Hanson Roberts deck, which is the main deck I use right now.