astrology study group ~ leo

lonefrontranger

for Astrid O

I like Astrodienst, they're a great resource and there's good info on there if you're willing to dig around for it (massive, massive site).

again, the disclaimer; I'm only very new at this myself.

As shown by your chart, you are a double Pisces. Your Sun (Self, Ego) and ASC ('Shell' or outward appearance) are both in this sign, despite that your Sun is right at the cusp of Aquarius. The Sun and ASC are quite possibly the two most important and influential characteristics of your natal chart, so that will certainly regulate the effects of your Leo Moon (your inner / unconscious self / Personality). I think that if you're able to anticipate, understand and mitigate any blocks or confusion these fairly diametrically opposed signs can cause, that this is a rather clever balance. It can either lead to questions and self-doubt, or else mean that your intuitive, somewhat otherworldly general nature can be balanced by the creative, dramatic and focussed thoughts / meditative abilities your Moon allows. Some Pisceans I've known can tend to get a little drifty and untethered, like a boat that's come off its moorings and is just going wherever the river takes it. Perhaps that Leo Moon can simply allow you be more focused on driving in the direction YOU want to go... your first impulse is to drift, but then logic and your good sense cuts in and you man the oars. Bolstered by the ruler of your Sun sign, Neptune, in adventuresome, freewheeling Sag, I might conclude that you enjoy travel and adventures - not for business reasons, necessarily, but possibly for enlightenment or self awareness.

I know very little about horizon / hemisphere placement. My own chart is an 'extrovert' chart, with most planets 'showing' above the horizon... but it's also a 'followers' chart, with most of them setting. My intuition of your Moon placement is simply that you are quite possibly able to balance your creative drive with your intuition by allowing your thoughts to 'follow' your insights and impulses... but that's a stab in the dark.

Like me, you have a lot of fire, water and earth in your chart, with not so much air. Like me, a lot of your planets are 'visible', meaning a fairly extroverted nature, at least as extrovert as your Piscean nature lends itself to. Unlike me, your chart appears to be more mutable than fixed, and your planets are more evenly distributed throughout, so you're a lot less stubborn and dogmatic, and more adaptable, visionary and balanced.

I also have a fair amount of Scorpio in my chart... including a Scorpio Midheaven... 'what crowns me', so to speak. My life is a continual balancing act of juggling Leonine drama (and let's face it: a tendency to be a bit childish) with Scorpio paranoias and Virgo pedantry. I'm a very intense person, and while that's not always a bad thing (I'm a quintessential Getter Of Things Done), it does drive people off, if I don't keep the lid screwed down on the Sturm und Drang.

The fascinating thing, to me, about your chart is that I can't shake the imagery it triggered. I have this picture in my mind of a calm, moonlit lake in a well-tended park, with hundreds of little floating candles set adrift on the surface - perhaps at a fancy soiree' or so. The lake is your Self and the way in which you relate to people, and the candles, both supported by and reflected in the clear water are your thoughts, feelings, daily motivations, etc.

lonefrontranger

exactly!

isthmus nekoi said:
...Those two put together in your air houses of 3rd and 7th point to a much harsher communication style - if you're female this is compounded upon as women are raised socially to have a softer and more indirect style.
strangely enough, the people I get along with fabulously with are.... SOLDIERS! How's that for a Mars sort of significance? I've always been most at home around those of military and/or police background. As in... getters of things done, and those who don't tolerate any nonsense. I've worked for several military contractors, and despite that I really like my work situation now, my very favorite colleagues EVER were the team of soldiers that I spent six months working on a satcom project with. Soldiers, IMO, are virtually perfect project partners. Yes, they're a bit rough-and-tumble, but they're also unfailingly loyal, goal-oriented, don't mess around, do exactly what they're asked, when they're asked to do it, they don't play political games, and they don't try to weasel out of accountability when things go 'all pear-shaped'.

Also, quite possibly the 'brother I never had' is a former roommate of mine, a brilliant young Army Reservist. He ships off to Ft. Leonard Wood in two weeks, to prepare for being stationed in Iraq. He's like family to me, as much as ties of friendship can trump those of blood. He's very young, but astonishingly sharp and mature. We have great rapport and keep in touch via the 'net despite all the differences. He fixed my car, helped move my furniture, and convinced a persistent unwanted suitor of mine in a borderline creepy-stalker situation to push off - no confrontation necessary, just being friendly, extremely nosy and VERY IMPRESSIVELY LARGE in his combat fatigues was enough to get the point across. He, in turn, leans on me as a reality check for all the emotional baggage being nineteen and dealing with girlfriends and social angst / peer pressure as a young adult entails. Plus I taught him some foolproof culinary skills that will make him an even more desirable housemate for whomever. I can only guess our friendship bond represents some sort of karmic former life debt. I'm worried about him going overseas (who wouldn't be?) but I also recognize (as his family don't seem to want to) that this is a VERY important goal and life passage for him, that he feels he must accomplish as a catalyst for other goals (college, career, etc.). And also... he's a Taurus (ha!), meaning the more his dad rants at him about 'throwing away his future', the more this kid is going to stubbornly stomp off in the other direction and slam the door on the discussion... I could quite easily write a book on the topic of Taurean Bloodymindedness as my ex husband is a Taurus as well.

And yes, I'm female, and yes, it's very difficult with female gender social roles being what they are, living with my sort of communications ethic. I'm no Stepford Wife. I typically relate to men better than women, on the whole, mostly because I'm not a 'girly girl'.

prudence

Thanks so much for the help explaining the oppositional thing with my merc and my moon, Isthmus. I have found this placement to be the most difficult part of my natal chart to understand/decipher. I haven't looked at it this way before, like a balance b/w thinking modes....I think I have a grasp on the Merc AQU in 11th house type of thinking, but the Moon in Leo in 5th house, to me seems like I'd be preoccupied with thinking about my kids (or my sculpting).

Lonefrontranger, you don't sound like a newb at this to me, and thanks so much for the interpretation. I like how you described them working together and this does happen sometimes. Other times it feels as though the moon energy overwhelms my sun's energy. It's like sometimes that untethered pisces, gets tethered to an unbelievably strong, loud lion, who drags it out of its comfort zone ;).....then it takes a few hours of decompression to chill myself back out. (this is why I brought up the introvert/extrovert stuff)....

Funny soldiers and military plays a roll in your life, there is a similar theme in mine as well. (Dad was in USAF, hubby is ex USCG, now a firefighter/ paramedic , older Leo Sun sister is in military presently....I always chalked it up to uniforms :D ) ...my mars is 19 degrees aries in 1st house.

I think your communication style is very nice, and friendly, and expressive, while still direct, but not threateningly so. I especially like how you described your scorpio midheaven. And I am very curious about that image that my chart triggered in you...well, first, thank you for sharing it, it is a beautiful image, and I will hold on to it. I am wondering though, do you have flashes like that a lot? To me it seems like intuitive chart interpretation (or something intuitive going on)

lonefrontranger

for Astrid O

hi there, gee what a week it's been already!

I really am pretty much a novice. My mom's a decent amateur astrologer, and I've dabbled off and on with it since I was old enough to do the math, but I really never went in depth with it (as with many other things).

As regards the imagery to go with your chart, I sometimes have intuitive leaps, and I'm a visual person, but I don't think it's any sort of psychic leaning. Quite possibly it's just something I saw or read long ago that triggers it.

Astrid O said:
...Other times it feels as though the moon energy overwhelms my sun's energy. It's like sometimes that untethered pisces, gets tethered to an unbelievably strong, loud lion, who drags it out of its comfort zone...
Hm, I guess I can see your point. I'm not a particularly 'serene' or meditative person. I take out all my inner conflicts by being a bike racer, which means competitive, wilful, aggressive... all those sorts of dominant firey traits, so I doubt I'd find that sort of 'loud leonine' energy bothersome. But if I recall correctly, the Sun is in it's 'fall' in Pisces, meaning that (possibly depending on the Moon transits), your Leo Moon would indeed sometimes 'overwhelm' it, and if you're a naturally peaceful and serene person, then yes, I can see that would be grating.

In my case, where I get all wrapped 'round the axle is when my sneaky, introspective, suspicious Scorpio Moon creeps up and starts to undermine my usually sunny optimism. This causes its own conflicts, as I'm sure you can imagine.

I'm glad you can appreciate my communication style. I've worked long and hard at being understanding, but I still have days when I just can't seem to curb that Mars confrontational aspect. I also find I express myself much better in writing than in person.

isthmus nekoi

The sun is in its exaltation in Aries, dignity in Leo, detriment in Aquarius and fall in Libra.

Astrid - is your sun in 12th? I think I remember seeing that... in that case, it would be easy for other planets to "outshine" your sun as it were b/c 12th is such a weak placement. I know for myself, w/my Cap sun in 12th, my Sag moon in the very public 10th, or prominent Mars on ASC will totally take over unless I am comfortable w/someone.

Interestingly enough, a prominent Mars is supposed to predispose me to a military mindset, but I think I have too much Sag to go in for that (three planets - moon, Venus and Neptune). I couldn't bear the idea of joining the army and ignoring my Saggy desire for freedom to do whatever I please.

prudence

Hi Isthmus and LFR :D

Yes my sun is n the 12th house, with (I think 2 other placements, venus, and north node? I don't have my trusty chart copy with me at the moment)Your words on this issue really have given me a new tool to try out! I will try to choose *which* planetary energy I go with, when my Pisces sun is overwhelmed or put on the back burner. So, does this mean that the planets etc, beneath the horizon will not be the ones to overtake?

I hear you about the scorpion sucpiscious/ paranoid nature! Yikes, it really can get outta hand, but in my older years, I have learned to ignore it.Or I allow the paranoid thought to "happen" but I will follow it immediately with a stronger affirmative thought, or at least a firm acknowledgement of how truly paranoid it was! :D (my scorpio placement is jupiter, in 8th house)

I guess I find it most difficult to accept the aggressive/loud leonine energy in my role as mom. Kids get very upset by loud voices, and especially yelling:D So, this tendency is something I find myself apologising profusely for, to my stunned kids, and many times, the piscean side needs to go somewhere private and cry after.(Though I do realize the yelling/stress is a situational thing, and my way of expressing myself during times of high stress, may be affected by my planetary placements. I am not thinking the planets "make me yell" ;)) So, in this respect, it is most uncomfortable and unwelcome. I admire your bike racing outlet though!! Man that sounds like a great thing to do with this particular energy! I try to use the energy thru exercise, but have a tendency to avoid competition, as it brings out a side in me that I find difficult to tether:D

Isthmus, I have to say this, regarding your comment about mars and military....My husband was reading over my shoulder one day while I was reading one of your posts, you began with the term "Please be advised" and he laughed and said, "Who is this Nekoi?!! That's *so* military, *I* say please be advised!!" And I should add here, he was in the military, and still is very military in his mannerisms. So, anyway, I then showed him your profile picture, and really shocked the hell out of him when he saw that you are a woman!

isthmus nekoi

Hm, choosing planetary energies - you know, I've never thought of that myself... I'm sure planets below the horizon could also "cover up". Perhaps the ASC ruler, anyone in the 3rd house (b/c of its connection w/communicating/socializing) etc.

lol, nekoi is Japanese for "cat" - not sure how military that is... Thanks for sharing that story, it put a smile on my face. Actually... w/Mars on the ASC, I do like to wear clothes w/a military style. And a lot of my clothes are that dullish army green, I love it for some reason. Even my website is that colour!

lonefrontranger

more

isthmus nekoi said:
The sun is in its exaltation in Aries, dignity in Leo, detriment in Aquarius and fall in Libra.
yikes, that'll teach me to post information without looking it up to verify!

Here, since this is a learning forum, hopefully this link will work. My natal chart with a few extra goodies tacked on. Not looking for readings, just thought it might be interesting to hear more thoughts on the type reflected here:
http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?...d=lcbfilexnv8Yo-u1125077085&lang=e&gm=a1&ast=

Astrid, it sounds as though you're well on the path to understanding. I'm only beginning to understand things such as transits and so on. Mercury retrograde caused a fair amount of havoc with me this trip; I even had car trouble (which I almost never do!).

isthmus nekoi

lonefrontranger

The link works just fine and wow! Everything I said about your communication style you can double b/c Mars is angular (conjunct DC) squaring your chart ruler! Mercury, planet of communication is also angular.

Neptune is also angular in your chart and the most elevated planet, exactly conjunct the MC, trining its depositor (Mars). It's good you can express the Scorpio energy through exercise - probably quite natural too w/Mars in the 6th house of health and exercise.

p.s. no worries about blunders, I've made many myself on this forum!