The worst tarot books you have come across

Khatruman

psychic sue said:
I too LOVE the Rider-Waite High School. Reminds me of Grease!
LOL...I am not familiar with the Rider-Waite High School, but all I can think of is adapting the lyrics to the old Ramones song "Rock n' Roll High School." :D

Cerulean

I saw a Dover book reprint of Leland's work

But decided to check the net for some background on him:

http://www.stregheria.com/leland.htm

Hope it seems accurate to fans--I found the contents about "gypsy" folklore, but could not find anything tarot-like in the Dover reprint, so passed on it in the used bookstore.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

jadecat

Sorry if I'm moving off thread here, but just had to put in my two cents worth on Rider-Waite High School - the chemistry teacher can be the magician!

Jadecat

stella01904

Cerulean said:
http://www.stregheria.com/leland.htm

Hope it seems accurate to fans--I found the contents about "gypsy" folklore, but could not find anything tarot-like in the Dover reprint, so passed on it in the used bookstore.
MM ~ Very good googling, Cerulean! That's one of Raven Grimassi's sites, he's the one that "turned me on to" Leland in the first place. Leland was raised with magic in the Pennsylvania Dutch country. As an adult, he spent time with Gypsies, Native Americans, and Strega Witches in the 1800's, (not just as a curious outsider or anthro, but actually earning acceptance and becoming "one of them") collecting their magical lore. Doreen Valiente got "The Charge of the Goddess" from Leland's "Aradia". He didn't write Tarot books per se but his insights and information are immensely helpful. BB, Stella

Gwynne

I was sitting in the shop I started reading at on Tuesday. It was a very slow evening, first nice day of the year so everyone was outside playing, not inside shopping. I grabbed one of the Tarot books that I'd been thinking about buying and started flipping through it. The book was Living the Tarot by Amber Jayanti. I didn't even get past the introduction before having to put it down in disgust! Constant references to the "true Tarot" and mention of how only the RWS, B.O.T.A. etc embody the true spirit and symbolism of Tarot and all other decks are inferior.... I was just... blah.... I can't read worth anything with the RWS! LOL Give me my Quest, or Tarot of the Old Path, or Housewives, or Aquarian anyday!

Junia

Books and RW high

Hello there everyone - I don't know about the worst books (because I haven't read them yet); but the LONGEST series award surely should go to Eileen Connolly's Series: Apprentice, Journeyman and Master. I think when I finish these I should get some kind of medal or certificate (or at least the author ought to blow her nose in a Kleenex and send it to me). LOL

Anyone else here w/opinions (for the worst of course on this series) or PM me for good opinions on Connolly's books?

Khatruman Quote: "LOL...I am not familiar with the Rider-Waite High School, but all I can think of is adapting the lyrics to the old Ramones song "Rock n' Roll High School."

I think I'd like, "I Wanna Be Sedated", maybe as the fight song for sports?

and Jadecat the Magician, Chemistry Teacher oh, that's a goody!

Yeah, I still think that this should be a game. Who else wants to play? PM me and well ask for a Moderator in Games Thread.

Love and Cups of XIX The Sun,

Junia

Gwynne

Connolly has some very... uppity... tendencies. She often comes across as a "You have to know absolutely everything before you start..." sort of person.

I've only read her Numerology books, I have both of them. And one thing she emphasized was that you should know the numbers inside and out, everything about them, before even starting a chart. How am I going to learn unless I do it?

mike gorth

THE PICTORIAL KEY TO THE TAROT was a terrible book to get. How disappointing. What ever you do, don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!

Junia

Thanks Gwynne

Gwynne Quoted "And one thing she emphasized was that you should know the numbers inside and out, everything about them, before even starting a chart. How am I going to learn unless I do it?"--Thanks, Gwynne

Yes, she does the same thing in the Tarot series. Wants you to meditate on each and every card and memorize them before you read. Too, late for me, but I have found some positive things in them Cabalist, etc. Glad to hear about the Numerology. She does some in the Tarot books too and that stuff is new to an old duffer like me.

smokey

[woQUOTE=lark]With out a doubt.
Hands down the winner would be,
Ta Da!
Understanding and Using Tarot by Emily Peach

What a hard scrabble waste land of confusing information.
If I would have actually followed this book I truly believe I uld have given up on tarot entirely.
[/QUOTE]

Yup!...'Nuff said...
Oh, & BTW, I agree with Gwynne Re: Amber Jayanti's: Living the Tarot!.