TOADies Anonymous.

CharlotteK

I failed :( I was supposed to last until end of June, a three month abstinence, and pledged to give away my Tabula Mundi if I lapsed. Well I did cave and ordered the Bohemian Gothic 3rd edition mini. But I'm reneging and am not going to give away my TM. I know, I pledged, but I can't go through with it. I did 6 weeks though, and it felt so much longer! Sorry TOADies, I am weak 😑😂🙄

Booklioness

Stand strong, CharlotteK, you made it 6 weeks!

I seemed to have found a good method. We are selling our home and moving out of state. With the house 'decluttered' and most everything not stage material packed in storage, I have to not get anything new. Plus, focusing on selling the house and moving have taken up any urges to look.

I fear, however, that once moved and unpacked, there may be a relapse if I miss too much out there. I think I'm ok... not a whole lot new during this phase *keeps blinders firmly in place*.

CharlotteK

Stand strong, CharlotteK, you made it 6 weeks!

I seemed to have found a good method. We are selling our home and moving out of state. With the house 'decluttered' and most everything not stage material packed in storage, I have to not get anything new. Plus, focusing on selling the house and moving have taken up any urges to look.

I fear, however, that once moved and unpacked, there may be a relapse if I miss too much out there. I think I'm ok... not a whole lot new during this phase *keeps blinders firmly in place*.

Well done! I guess you could give yourself some boundaries for the post-move period? I do think having a good chunk of a break is actually really helpful in managing urges.

Although I broke at 6 weeks, I feel a lot less 'grabby' about getting decks 'now'. I think I can go another 6 weeks until the next one. If I keep that up, it's only 8 or 9 decks a year, which really isn't bad. I've bought that in a month previously!

I'm also working through my decks alphabetically as Deck of the Week and I'll be making a box of decks to move on, to clear out what I don't like and am unlikely to warm to.

Booklioness

Well done! I guess you could give yourself some boundaries for the post-move period? I do think having a good chunk of a break is actually really helpful in managing urges.

Although I broke at 6 weeks, I feel a lot less 'grabby' about getting decks 'now'. I think I can go another 6 weeks until the next one. If I keep that up, it's only 8 or 9 decks a year, which really isn't bad. I've bought that in a month previously!

I'm also working through my decks alphabetically as Deck of the Week and I'll be making a box of decks to move on, to clear out what I don't like and am unlikely to warm to.

8 or 9 a year vs. 8 or nine a month is excellent. I love the idea of deck of the week. Each one sort of appears new that way, and you can really tell if you warm to it, being forced to use it a week at length.

Boundaries... yes. I'm certain the budget post-move will be an absolute NO, but it will be so worth it. I do miss my decks... I only kept one out to save in my drawer. I guess that is deck of the month until I can move and unpack again. :)

DDwarks

I failed :( I was supposed to last until end of June, a three month abstinence, and pledged to give away my Tabula Mundi if I lapsed. Well I did cave and ordered the Bohemian Gothic 3rd edition mini. But I'm reneging and am not going to give away my TM. I know, I pledged, but I can't go through with it. I did 6 weeks though, and it felt so much longer! Sorry TOADies, I am weak ������

Booo! I really was rooting for you Charlotte :(
Don't beat yourself up though, you're only human :heart: What is it about the Bohemian Gothic that made you crack I wonder?

Personally, I'm doing good :)
I swapped a deck for another I really wanted and bought myself one deck on ebay but thats it.
I'm looking forward to play with my new addition when it arrives but I'm also prepared for being disappointed too. It's RW clone and they never seem to do the trick for very long so we'll see.
Apart from that, no urges. Nothing. I've seen plenty of pretties but didn't take the plunge on any of them. I've realised I'm actually pretty content with my collection. I know what I *really* like and just stick to it.

rakusribut

help!

ah, this is just the place i need..... getting back to tarot after 15 years, in september 2016, i discarded some of the decks i no longer related to, which was a wise decision. i had 6 decks left, more than enough for personal/intuitive reading (is what i thought at the time, and if i pause to think clearly i still agree with that idea)
then the TOAD got its paws around my throat..... within a couple of months my collection grew bigger and bigger, and i kept inventing more and more reasons to buy more and more decks, until i had filled all the space initially taken by the bits and bobs i use daily, and need to be able to access easily, with tarot decks (80) and books (50)...... including three kickstarter decks that still have to be published. (and i keep opening the wrong drawers and doors, looking for scissors and duct tape, lol!)
my financial situation has become problematic, so i actually cannot afford to buy any more decks. still i keep visiting the gamecrafter, shiffer, meneghello etc and filling my shopping cart with new decks, only to empty it at the very last moment. then i get reminders in my email about my shopping cart waiting for me to proceed to checkout, lol, and i have to erase those emails immediately because i know i can't resist the temptation when i keep them hanging around my inbox.... sigh.....
just a minute ago i sat drooling behind my screen, reading about the mesquite tarot at kickstarter.... almost pledged....almost.....
what do you guys/girls do when you're in that state? how do you prevent yourselves from pressing the 'proceed to checkout' button?
and does it help to make a pledge here and try to stick to it?
i joined tarot swap on fb to try and acquire new decks for 'just' the postage fee, but that is still spending, isn't it? but at least it doesn't increase the number of decks i already own.
do/did any of you sell or give away any of your decks? and do you find that hard to do? i would like to get rid of the decks that i feel no connection to, but i keep finding reasons not to. is that the TOAD speaking?
i would welcome any kind of advice or support here.....
oh and i almost forgot to mention all my tarot apps (20) and my tarot ebooks (20) .....

Scarlet Woodland

I'm a bad TOAD, a bad bad TOAD :(

It was a planned purchase that I know I'll adore, but I was supposed to wait a few months till I'd paid down my CC.

I must be flogged.

CharlotteK

Booo! I really was rooting for you Charlotte :(
Don't beat yourself up though, you're only human [emoji813] What is it about the Bohemian Gothic that made you crack I wonder?

I'm sorry. But I had to confess to you all. Let's see what it was about the BG... 1. Humorously dark 2. Very cute size 3. Shiny shiny silver on the backs 4. ONLY 1000 3rd edition mini size produced 5. One of a few copies available at sale price without box 6. Rave reviews 7. I don't have a Baba Studios deck yet 8. Marketing emails from Baba 9. Feeling withdrawals from the thrill of opening a new deck 10. Weak-willed, tired, late night browsing impulse buy... Boooo indeed. Gah. Anyway this isn't an enabling thread so I'm sorry if I have made this purchase sound attractive, it's not, it's the relapse of a addict and it ain't pretty 😯

[QUOTE ]Personally, I'm doing good :)
I swapped a deck for another I really wanted and bought myself one deck on ebay but thats it.
I'm looking forward to play with my new addition when it arrives but I'm also prepared for being disappointed too. It's RW clone and they never seem to do the trick for very long so we'll see.
Apart from that, no urges. Nothing. I've seen plenty of pretties but didn't take the plunge on any of them. I've realised I'm actually pretty content with my collection. I know what I *really* like and just stick to it.[/QUOTE]

Excellent work! This is where I aspire to be and I think is where I am slowly getting to. I've a box of decks that don't do it for me anymore, which I bought early on when I didn't really know what I liked. I am asking myself now why I haven't put them all on ebay, I think the hoarder in me is reluctant to let them go, even though I'll not use them. Time to say goodbye!

I am also pretty happy with the variety and quality in my collection now. A good mix of indie, mass market and a bit of vintage. Weird, traditional, pretty, classic, cheesy, fun, abstract, arty...

Do you think it's a stage that almost everyone with a small collection goes through? Are there many people who from the outset have bought infrequently and smartly in a restrained way to get a good collection? As binge buying TOADies are we strange or normal?

barefootlife

Do you think it's a stage that almost everyone with a small collection goes through? Are there many people who from the outset have bought infrequently and smartly in a restrained way to get a good collection? As binge buying TOADies are we strange or normal?

I think the answer to this question probably varies based on whether you use your decks or not. If you look at them but don't use them, you're a collector. If you use them all and find that some of them don't click, that seems like normal exploration to me. That's where I am now, buying decks to see what really works for me and what doesn't. Eventually I'll have acquired enough 'doesn't' to start selling or trading them off.

Course, if you buy them and don't even crack the box, you might be a hoarder. :shhh:

willowy

I'm sorry. But I had to confess to you all. Let's see what it was about the BG... 1. Humorously dark 2. Very cute size 3. Shiny shiny silver on the backs 4. ONLY 1000 3rd edition mini size produced 5. One of a few copies available at sale price without box 6. Rave reviews 7. I don't have a Baba Studios deck yet 8. Marketing emails from Baba 9. Feeling withdrawals from the thrill of opening a new deck 10. Weak-willed, tired, late night browsing impulse buy... Boooo indeed. Gah. Anyway this isn't an enabling thread so I'm sorry if I have made this purchase sound attractive, it's not, it's the relapse of a addict and it ain't pretty ��

[QUOTE ]Personally, I'm doing good :)

I think if you're falling off the wagon,a baba studio deck is the right one to do it for,especially the Bohemian gothic-it is beyond awesome I think you'll love it ,,beware though cause after you get one baba studio deck you often realize you need their others too!I have the gothic and their bohemian cats but have their others very high on my wishlist next in priority only to Lisa hunts fairytale tarot,tarot of jane austen and the hudes tarot.

Its hard to know what starts the binge buying,mine kind of started christmas 2014,I hadn't brought any for about 3 years being happy with learning the ones I had,life was being extremely stressful,and I tthink I needed abit of distraction from it,while on Amazon I saw Ian daniels Tarot of vampyres,and bohemian gothic and had to have those,and it spiralled from there,seeing all these decks I could of missed out on.I think the fact that some become impossible to get and go oop does trigger me,so I try to just trust that I'll get the decks somehow eventually or that they'll get reprinted if I worry about missing out.
I am doing loads better limiting myself having only brought london lore tarot,complete tarot kit susan levitt,lisa parker familiars,lord of rings kit,H r giger tarot,witches tarot (Reed,which is oop) and the after tarot,so doing better this year,only having one per month almost, after last years insanity.
Well done on your six weeks,you did good-just start again:)