What does it mean for a relationship that is facing the tower?

willowfox

Well, when a relationship crumbles, it crumbles.

BeyondtheVeil

Or the part of the relationship that isn't working crumbles. :) In my experience, it hasn't always meant a total ending or breakup. I guess it is all in how one looks at it. That means either a really hard time or one of acceptance and growth. I prefer to look at the latter.

Astraea

nisaba said:
The whole thing about the Tower, is that the nature of the upheaval is unpredictable. It could even be something non-relationship in origin affecting the relationship, like eviction or someone being fired or something.
This is what I have found, as well...circumstances beyond one's control.

starrystarrynight

I like the Tower's energy to enlighten someone who is building a shaky facade to some false deity. Something about the situation is standing on quicksand, and usually, if the seeker thinks about it after the fall, he slaps his forehead and says, "I should have known!" when it all comes tumbling down. But he's so busy building this faulty structure--toward something he thinks he desperately wants or needs, that he overlooks something that should have been obvious to him all along that likely made it impossible to withstand the test of time from the beginning.

Of course, that's not the only energy associated with the Tower...but it's the one I like. :)

Lugh

The lightning strike, this sudden realisation that things change or are changing or should change is really strong. I wouldn't necessarily define it as quicksand though, the idea of the tower to me is that it stood long and sturdy, but even then is destroyed. In a relationship, it's often better to have it all blow up in your face all of the sudden than to end it before that happens; I mean, in that case, you will always wonder what might have been and it can grow in your mind towards something idealistic that never was and never would have been. The shock can also mean the opposite, like the realisation that holding on to a relationship is often harder than letting go.

The classic lightning strike is sometimes too passive a symbol for so angry a card though. Attributed to Mars, it could mean a war or fight of some sort, one where one or both of the partners have an active role in. As the 'mouth', the thing that consumes and destroys things to ready it for digestion, the tower definately forbodes change.

DrDave

The Tower tears down what is not built on a Foundation of Truth.

The Tower rips into Deception and Deceit so that a structure can be built on a strong and lasting foundation
DD

BeyondtheVeil

DrDave said:
The Tower tears down what is not built on a Foundation of Truth.

The Tower rips into Deception and Deceit so that a structure can be built on a strong and lasting foundation
DD

That is definitely how I see it too! You explained it very well! :)

WalesWoman

MDJD said:
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what the meaning of the tower card when asked about a relationship outcome in the next two months. What my understanding is that the couple is going to face truth and reality? But it also means break up right? What does truth and reality mean?

I know there are meanings I could look up, but I was wondering since many people here have dealt with Tarot more than me, I was curious on what your actual real life outcomes have been when you have seen a similar spread.

Thanks!
Since the Tower is unstable, perhaps they've put each other on pedestals that are too tall, narrow and unrealistic for anyone to stand on. They are human, have their faults and this is going to be the test, can they be themselves for each other and still be acceptable? Are they in love with the true person inside that Tower or a projection of their own imagination, they have to let their walls down and be who they truly are... no facades. This is the realization, THIS is the person you are getting, not the one of your dreams and idealizations and fantasies.

They either pick up the pieces of what is good between them and build something new or call it a colossal failure.

The 8 Cups could be walking away, sometimes love isn't enough to conquer all.
Or it could be leaving behind emotional baggage, maybe those fantasies and romantic idealizations and discovering the unknown in themselves and each other.