possible business opportunity

Grizabella

Please stop thinking of the Querents as germ-laden, drooling, wide-eyed Village Idiots. If - however - that IS what they turn out to be - have a germ-laden, drooled on, wide-eyed deck for their use. NO laws say you have to use your signed, one-of-a-kind deck you purchased for $5,000 off eBay to read for the public.

Yes ~ I am a firm believer that the Querent is an active part of their reading and should always handle the cards ... but they DO NOT have to be MY cards.

I usually shuffle because people who have shuffled cards before often have this habit that they think is a skill, I suppose---they bridge the cards after each shuffle! I hate that! But other than that, I like the sitters to handle the cards. I don't see sitters as EWWWW!!! --- radioactive little bundles of negative energy. :p I see them as people coming to me for insight, understanding and guidance, or maybe for a fun thing to tell their spouse about when they get home---or whatever else. Whatever you fear, you give power to. I like to keep my power and choose not see the world as a dangerous place to be, although it can be that and heaven knows I've experienced it in my life.

I like sitters to choose their own cards from a fan. I'm also doing some experimenting with having my sitters for online readings who use the cards themselves choose cards from their own fanned deck, then tell me the cards they drew from a deck we both have in common so I can read the same cards out of my own deck. I've noticed that when I visit the Your Readings sub-forum, I can read the cards more easily and I think that's because of the energy the sitter infuses the deck with. That sounds awkward, but maybe you know what I mean.

AJ

Practice reading aloud before you do readings at the shop.
I was shocked at how much 'different' it was to reading for myself.

When we look at cards our mind takes instant jumps
Putting that into spoken words changes the whole process and it is easy to stumble, err, ah, umm.

I read to and for my cat, my coffee cup, etc...

mysticangel_001

Thank you, everyone, for the thoughts/suggestions.

AJ, I know what you mean about stumbling on the words. I have that problem myself Plus if I take too long to say something, while I am studying the cards and letting the info come to me, I feel the person I am reading for is getting impatient.

aliwade

How exciting. I would love to do something like that one day. Please keep us informed as to how it goes.

Ali x

tarotbear

Practice reading aloud before you do readings at the shop. I was shocked at how much 'different' it was to reading for myself.
Yep! Ask an actor what it takes to perform a play as opposed to merely reading the script.

When we look at cards our mind takes instant jumps. Putting that into spoken words changes the whole process and it is easy to stumble, err, ah, umm.

I read to and for my cat, my coffee cup, etc...

I'll bet you get better feedback from your cup than your cat! LOL!

Plus if I take too long to say something, while I am studying the cards and letting the info come to me, I feel the person I am reading for is getting impatient.

You need to think of it this way - you probably need a sip of water (and if you are not used to speaking your mouth will get dry faster than you think!) so if you need a moment to mull things over simply grab your water bottle and take a sip to cover the space. I also have a bag of honey cough drops with me - stare at the spread and take out a cough drop and unwrap it while you never remove your gaze from the cards - no one will question you for doing that. If you make the pauses seem plausible no one will be the wiser! :p

mysticangel_001

You need to think of it this way - you probably need a sip of water (and if you are not used to speaking your mouth will get dry faster than you think!) so if you need a moment to mull things over simply grab your water bottle and take a sip to cover the space. I also have a bag of honey cough drops with me - stare at the spread and take out a cough drop and unwrap it while you never remove your gaze from the cards - no one will question you for doing that. If you make the pauses seem plausible no one will be the wiser! :p

I like those ideas!

Morwenna

Remember - reading in public is performing - and you are the Star of the Show! :thumbsup:

And I'm no actress. That's probably why I get stage fright. :) But the suggestions in this thread are very useful. I need to make my delivery much more smooth; otherwise I believe I'm just exuding the lack-of-confidence that I feel. (It's not just for readings either; if I have to answer the phone in the office and I don't know how to respond to the caller, I get the same way, and feel the same way about it. So I avoid that phone whenever possible!)

Tanga

LOL Tarotbear!

I was more concerned about negative energy from people who are angry or deeply depressed. The woman who owns the store gave me a deck of Rider Waite cards and I have used them a couple of times but I'm not feeling as connected to them as to my Gilded deck. I can still use them though.

In my opinion - it's not the cards that "pick up" peoples energy. It's the reader. :)
You have to find a way to distance yourself from everybody elses baggage.
Where they end (in energetic terms) and you begin - only you can dictate and you have the power to do so. Remember that each individual has their own life/path and their own Karma to carry - it's not up to you.
All you can do is help within your limits - without compromising yourself. Full stop.

And I'm no actress. That's probably why I get stage fright. :) But the suggestions in this thread are very useful. I need to make my delivery much more smooth; otherwise I believe I'm just exuding the lack-of-confidence that I feel. (It's not just for readings either; if I have to answer the phone in the office and I don't know how to respond to the caller, I get the same way, and feel the same way about it. So I avoid that phone whenever possible!)

Loads of actors get stage fright - they have just, with long practice, found ways to manage and hide it. :) (i.e. those self-doubts, for most people, never go away. One just learns to ignore them and not let them get in the way of what you plan to do or overwhelm you.).

You - mysticangel_001 are a unique individual and therefore have a unique perspective and a unique assistance to offer the world through the remarkable vehicle of reading the cards for them.
They will be lucky to have your input and insight!

Go show them your stuff!

mysticangel_001

In my opinion - it's not the cards that "pick up" peoples energy. It's the reader. :)
You have to find a way to distance yourself from everybody elses baggage.
Where they end (in energetic terms) and you begin - only you can dictate and you have the power to do so. Remember that each individual has their own life/path and their own Karma to carry - it's not up to you.
All you can do is help within your limits - without compromising yourself. Full stop.

Loads of actors get stage fright - they have just, with long practice, found ways to manage and hide it. :) (i.e. those self-doubts, for most people, never go away. One just learns to ignore them and not let them get in the way of what you plan to do or overwhelm you.).

You - mysticangel_001 are a unique individual and therefore have a unique perspective and a unique assistance to offer the world through the remarkable vehicle of reading the cards for them.
They will be lucky to have your input and insight!

Go show them your stuff!

Thanks Tanga. I am definitely nervous but excited, too.