feelings getting in the way

nord_drache

I can definitely say that this is something when thought about concerns me. I am always emotionally invested in those I care about being one who when it comes to friends prefers quality over quantity.

Jim

Grizabella

You need to "school" yourself as Ace pointed out. Tell yourself this----"this is about the sitter, it's not about me." The cards are telling the sitter something in a language they may not be fluent in and you're just the interpreter.

And as far as seeing things in the cards you strongly identify with, that doesn't mean the reading is about you. It just means you share things in common with your sitter. We don't live in a vacuum and we aren't unique. We're all human and we all have many things in common with other people.

SunChariot

You need to "school" yourself as Ace pointed out. Tell yourself this----"this is about the sitter, it's not about me." The cards are telling the sitter something in a language they may not be fluent in and you're just the interpreter.

And as far as seeing things in the cards you strongly identify with, that doesn't mean the reading is about you. It just means you share things in common with your sitter. We don't live in a vacuum and we aren't unique. We're all human and we all have many things in common with other people.

Exactly, very well put. :grin:

That is how I see it too.

Babs

VGimlet

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on keeping personal feelings away from readings, especially when reading for someone you have a strong connection with?

Thanks!

I also won't read for my husband. The few times I have it hasn't gone well - too close to the subject, I guess.

My readings for my sister have also been iffy - depends on how close we are at the time, :p

I am fine reading for friends and other family members, because I just let the cards do the talking and kind of take a step back, metaphorically speaking. But those two it's tougher.

Ace

I also won't read for my husband. The few times I have it hasn't gone well - too close to the subject, I guess.

My readings for my sister have also been iffy - depends on how close we are at the time, :p

I am fine reading for friends and other family members, because I just let the cards do the talking and kind of take a step back, metaphorically speaking. But those two it's tougher.

At one point a friend (who I knew had problems) asked for a reading. I inexplicably started yelling at him! He kept saying, "is that what the cards are saying?" and I could not stop yelling at him. That was not a helpful reading for him and I felt bad, because shortly afterward he killed himself. Not something I saw in the cards or in any conversation except that I knew he was feeling very cornered and frustrated.

I was new at tarot myself and so I didn't know to say, "step back, Barb, and maybe get someone else to read for him." But for people you know it can be very tough.

For strangers, when the reading reminds me of myself and my own experience, I force myself to say, it reminds me of someone I know, and then discuss it like that. Keeping a professional distance is tough, but FORCE yourself or get someone else to read them.

barb