Decks v. Deck apps

Madrigal

I have lots of apps on my phone and/or kindle. If my deck has an app I've got it. In this way I can easily check in with whatever cards I've drawn that day from the actual deck without having to remember take my deck or cards with me. I rarely use the apps for actual readings other than the occasional quick one or sometimes two card draw in the moment. I prefer to connect with the cards physically for that.

Second, using an app allows me to zoom in on certain details that might be difficult to see on the cards. And even more so with an ipad. Shadowscapes, for example, is astonishing on the ipad. As is Ma'at, Cosmic and Enchanted among others.

Thirdly, the book is always included with the app so for $3-$4 I get the author's commentary (without the weight of a book). A pp mentioned Holy Light's accompanying book and this is a perfect example. The commentary is extensive, erudite and so helpful with not only this deck but I use CPT's interpretations for other cards when I'm feeling a bit stuck. Btw, OP, as a former nursing mother, "projectile lactation' is where it's at, baby! ;)

One thing I will say though is the cards seen on the app are always more illuminated, colorful and dramatic than in actuality. The actual cards are far more muted. This goes for any online image since they're all back-lit. So that's a minus for the app in one sense and yet the screen image brings the card alive with light and color in a way that the actual card doesn't.

But really there's nothing like holding an actual card in your hand :thumbsup:

kalliope

I'm a big fan of apps and think readings with them can be just as satisfying and accurate. I have a ton of them and use them all the time, and go through phases when I use them a lot more than physical decks.

I'm traveling (on the train! love the train!) and am only typing on my phone, but I recently wrote a response to a very similar question, so I'll just link to my post!
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=4252939

kalliope

I should also say that I usually do the actual interpreting myself, the app just draws the cards. But some of the included books are good so I might read them afterwards for fun.

And for some apps, the deck is such that I don't like to read the cards so much as I use them just to get a passage from the book to read as an Oracle.

Le Fanu

I've got loads of tarot apps for iPhone and iPad.

Having used them for a while now I can honestly say that the only one which has really stood the test of time for me is the Holy Light mostly because of the wonderful in-depth book text included which has really opened the deck up for me. Plus of course I love the imagery. If I'm going to do a reading on my iPhone or iPad when out and about, this is the one I choose. If it's a one card draw I sometimes also go for the Fairy Tale Tarot, a deck I also love but which is too "textual" to be truly spontaneous. I like drawing a card and reading the story.

It somehow feels ok to immediately switch the card and consult the text in a way it doesn't with a physical deck. I wonder why that is?

But on reflection, most of what I use tarot apps for is browsing the pretty pictures. I have apps, like the Cosmic, which I have never done a reading with. I just like browsing the cards when waiting somewhere with no wi-fi.

I have never read for anyone with a tarot app and doubt I ever would. However, there is a great yes or no tarot app which uses the Fournier Marseilles which I get out for fun at dinner parties sometimes.

Padma

I have never read for anyone with a tarot app and doubt I ever would. However, there is a great yes or no tarot app which uses the Fournier Marseilles which I get out for fun at dinner parties sometimes.

Le Fanu, which app is that? What title would I use to search for it? Just Fournier Marseilles? Sounds like great fun! :)

RiverRunsDeep

I have an app that gives me a RWS past/present/future spread. It is quite accurate, but the funny thing is I would never consider this to be the "true" reading for my day. Having the physical cards in my hands is a must for me. Then again, I still read the ink-and-paper version of books, and have no desire for a kindle. Maybe I am just old-fashioned. :p

shadowdancer

I do have a few apps, and rarely use them. Not for readings anyways.

The Fools Dog apps seem to be the most comprehensive

The reason I do like them, is the fact I can see a card in large form. Being now long-sighted (or rather it is the fact my eyes are fine - my arms are no longer long enough :D ) means I can actually see far more detail than I would otherwise have with the actual deck.

Otherwise they are okay for a half hearted card of the day type thing.

Not to decry them in any way. I am sure they are just as accurate, but I just don't feel the same emotive pull for using the app as I do a deck.

Miss Divine

I still read the ink-and-paper version of books, and have no desire for a kindle. Maybe I am just old-fashioned. :p

Old-fashioned or not, I only read ink-and-paper books. The human has been affected by the digital virus. :laugh:
In a way it's not even something to laugh about. It's sad how the human race has become all digital... Going off topic here so I'm outta here!

Le Fanu

Le Fanu, which app is that? What title would I use to search for it? Just Fournier Marseilles? Sounds like great fun! :)
It's for iPad and iPhone and called "Si o No?" The answers are in English even though the title of the app is in Spanish and graphically it's quite beautiful the way the cards turn. I think it's one of the free ones too. Its good fun and as most people think tarot reading can answer yes or no questions, it's an effortless way to give people an answer without being too serious about the whole tarot conversation!

Barleywine

Then again, I still read the ink-and-paper version of books, and have no desire for a kindle. Maybe I am just old-fashioned. :p

I have a very basic non-color Kindle. (Wife got the fancy HD Fire version since she reads a lot of fiction.) I have a couple of downloads on it but I never use it for reference. Paper books are much easier to find stuff in quickly. If we had cell service here and a smart phone, I might try a free app or two (especially if - or should I say when - I get the Holy Light). But I would never read for anyone with it. I would feel like a robot, similar to one of those "store clerk" bots the Japanese are replacing human retail clerks with.