Tarot blogs

Chrystella

I had a moment of crazy and started a tarot blog. The problem was that I already had two blogs - my expat blog and a Pagan blog. So, I moved the tarot entries to my Pagan blog and shut that baby down.

I've been doing some research on starting one. This is one of the more useful on-line guides I've found:

http://try.theblogbuilders.com/guide/?gclid=COex46iZhsECFUoF7AodYXgAZQ

He strongly recommends not using one of the free blog plaforms due to security concerns. Can anyone wih experience comment on this?

So, it will bore you to know that although I'm a tarot quarter-wiz by night, by day I'm a community and social media manager and blogging is part of my job.

What this guide says is true, but it lacks context.

A benefit of the self-hosted blog is that you own it and you can do (almost) whatever you want with it. But it makes you responsible for your own security. With free platforms, such as Blogger and Wordpress, they take care of that for you. But of course, you don't own it fully and there are limits to what you can do with it. Yes, they could disappear tomorrow, but that's highly unlikely and it's relatively easy to move content from one platform to another.

I always tell people, it depends on your needs and plans. For some people, blogging on a free platform is just fine.

Chrystella

He talks about it in the guide. Apparently a friend had many $$ worth of content ripped off using one of the free platforms, and claims it's harder to pull that off with a paid platorm.

What happened to that author's friend could happen on any platform. It's largely a user problem - people having weak passwords - and that there are bots trying to break into websites every hour of every day. There are methods to help prevent it. Anyone with a website should be prepared for a security breach. It's typically a matter of when, not if.

AJ

I added a html pinterest block on mine. I've had people ask me to take it off "so they can copy the whole post and image" to pinterest. My opinion of pinterest manners is right down there with Gregory's on facebook.

I've got nearly 3000 posts now, I wish I could get it printed in book form, it does concern me that all the work could be lost in an instant.

Michael Sternbach

I have one, thetarotgirl at wordpress.com. I’m a bit of a slacker with updating it haha I wish I’d do it more regularly.

I wish there were more tarot blogs out there containing thoughts about readings and reading techniques, and also deck reviews. My favorite is Benebell Wen’s blog. But otherwise I feel like so many blogs just draw a card and then share their keywords and “meaning” of that card, I’ve just seen too many of those so it doesn’t spark my interest nowadays.

I will keep that in mind for my blog. Thanks.

EvMaeve

I started a new tarot blog not long ago. http://www.interrobangtarot.com

I've been blogging off and on for years through different sites I've tried out. Hoping I can stick to this one! I do daily card draws every week day and long articles once or twice a week.

As far as hosting goes, I'm awful with tech, so I go for the free platforms and just check on them and change my password often. The idea of doing everything myself makes my head spin, and I don't think it's necessary for a casual or beginner blogger. You can always move your content if your needs change down the line. Wordpress has a great community of bloggers - you get readers with doing any promo - BUT their software can be buggy and annoying. I favor Weebly lately. Their templates are clean and professional looking and their editor if really intuitive and easy to use. You get a lot of functionality and tech support for a free account, and can upgrade to pro if you want. However, there's no community or network involved.

There are so many great tarot blogs out there! My faves include Little Red Tarot, Benebell Wen's blog, Biddy Tarot, and the Tarot Lady. I use Bloglovin as a feed reader, and set it as my homepage. They recommend more blogs to you based on what you already follow, so I'm constantly getting into cool new tarot blogs I wouldn't have found on my own.

BodhiSeed

I added a html pinterest block on mine. I've had people ask me to take it off "so they can copy the whole post and image" to pinterest.

If you're right click protected, can Pinterest folks still copy from your blog? If so, I need to get that html code from you...

Madrigal

I added a html pinterest block on mine. I've had people ask me to take it off "so they can copy the whole post and image" to pinterest. My opinion of pinterest manners is right down there with Gregory's on facebook.

I've got nearly 3000 posts now, I wish I could get it printed in book form, it does concern me that all the work could be lost in an instant.

AJ, check out blurb.com. They're a site that converts your blog into a book. I've done several through them. Entire years' worth of material nicely rendered into a hardcover book complete with color photos and full text. Very happy with the results!

AJ

thank you Madrigal, I will look there. It has been about 4 years since I last looked for a way to do it, and the technology then was really limited, And the price per page was astounding.

If you're right click protected, can Pinterest folks still copy from your blog? If so, I need to get that html code from you...

http://help.typepad.com/add-nopin-tag-to-blog.html
There are lots of pages offering the code, just follow the steps, don't be afraid :)

There are of course ways around it, but most people aren't that determined.

Le Fanu

I'm the only person in the world who doesn't really care if someone copies stuff from my blog. It's hardly world-shattering stuff. I know I should care but I don't.

I have seen images taken from my blog on readers' websites, used for the own ends to advertise. If I'd paid to post a blog post, it would feel like theft but it's just just words or a quick snap tossed out there for free.

When people talk about security, is that what they mean? Plagiarism? If it's just that, I don't mind. If it's more serious hacking -of email account or bank details or something - then it's more of a problem.

I also don't mind if my stuff disappears one day. I guess I just don't place that much importance on it. There'll be plenty of other things to read on the net.