Need advice on how to do a particular reading

BellaLudovici

Im always able focus and boil down my emotions enough to be able to word it as a specific sentence that I can focus on. Full disclosure its an issue between my spouse and I and I am an emotional wreck. I can't even begin to think of any word or sentence that could come close to describing it. So basically my question is: Is doing a reading for yourself with no question just complete focus on what you feel at that time be as accurate as focusing on an actual question? If so is there diff spread I should do?

gregory

I generally prefer a general reading, as I reckon the cards will tell me what I need to know - which might well not be about what I think I want to know.

BUT in your situation, to be honest, I would ask someone else to read for you.

The phrase:
I am an emotional wreck. I can't even begin to think of any word or sentence that could come close to describing it.
flags up the fact that you may find it impossible to keep the way you feel out of it. And what you NEED is an objective reading. I think you are too wrung out to manage that.

cSpaceDiva

In my experience, readings I do for myself when I am upset don't turn out very well. I tend to turn up cards that reflect, and I interpret them as my worst fears and negative expectations. I really wouldn't recommend trying a method that is outside your norm when you are feeling this way. If you are not able to find someone else to read for you, I would suggest trying to do a really focused grounding or meditation exercise to try and collect yourself to be in a better frame of mind for the reading.

One idea for a question to focus on: How should I approach the situation with my spouse?

You might also try posting in Your Readings after you are done, to get some validation whether the interpretations you came up with are in line with what someone who is not emotionally involved would see.

JackofWands

I agree with Gregory. Normally, I have no problem doing general readings or readings focused on a theme (as opposed to a specific, carefully worded question). However, if this issue with your spouse has thrown you out of whack to the extent that you say it has, your ability to read objectively will likely be impaired. This, more than the actual phrasing of a question, is the reason I would recommend you go to another reader for this and not try to do it yourself.

Zephyros

I agree with Gregory. Normally, I have no problem doing general readings or readings focused on a theme (as opposed to a specific, carefully worded question). However, if this issue with your spouse has thrown you out of whack to the extent that you say it has, your ability to read objectively will likely be impaired. This, more than the actual phrasing of a question, is the reason I would recommend you go to another reader for this and not try to do it yourself.

I agree with this. Actually most of my readings are done for myself and since I know the querent pretty well I feel I usually don't need to explain things to me. Your emotional state may affect the reading but it depends what kind of reading you're going for. One who's purpose is to give answers wouldn't be recommended, but one that gives questions might. Concentrate on the process, rather than the result, as a kind of meditative thing to work things out in your own thoughts. You could turn over random cards, look at them and try to find where they fit in with your situation/relationship. Ask yourself what aspect of the situation the card describes, its energies and influences. Look at the situation through the lens of the card, or work out how the person in the card would act/react.

earthair

Im always able focus and boil down my emotions enough to be able to word it as a specific sentence that I can focus on. Full disclosure its an issue between my spouse and I and I am an emotional wreck. I can't even begin to think of any word or sentence that could come close to describing it. So basically my question is: Is doing a reading for yourself with no question just complete focus on what you feel at that time be as accurate as focusing on an actual question?

Yes I think so.

If so is there diff spread I should do?

Personally I find Celtic Cross is awesome where you cannot form a question, because it has so many answers for all the angles of a situation. The spread itself will keep you focused and give you mental stability in your present state. But don't assume that being an emotional wreck means your gut instincts aren't going to be spot on. The advantages of being an emotional wreck at the moment are that you are thinking with core emotional you, not with the often 'easier to deceive' intellectual side.

Good luck. Lay out a spread and think on it for a few days. Take a photo on your phone. Don't force yourself to read all the cards. Some of them will speak to you, and those positions are the key ones.

Disa

When I'm an emotional wreck is about the only time I DO read for myself. Once you find a spread you think will help you out, write out what you're getting for each card. For me, the journaling process in the reading really helps me clear my mind and see some options I may not have seen before. It calms me down, helps me focus just by the sheer act of actually doing the reading. If a card doesn't make sense, this is when I DO use my books- to get an outside objective idea of what else on earth this card can mean that I am not seeing with my own limited perspective.

I agree with SpaceDiva's line of questioning "how can I approach the situation with my spouse?" This is the kind of thing I would ask, in addition to things like, what obstacles should I look out for? What will help me get through the situation?... things like that.

Of course the Celtic Cross is very helpful in things like this, as well...but if it's too much to take on, you can just find a smaller spread or taylor one to the things you want to know.

If you do all these things people have mentioned and you still come out confused and/or frustrated, then seek out another reader. But like Zephyros said, " since I know the querent pretty well I feel I usually don't need to explain things to me"..sometimes when the reading hit real close to home, the LAST thing I want to do is try to explain to a stranger the nuances of the situation and get them to understand where I'm coming from. I already know where I'm coming from.

Best of luck to you. I hope everything turns out well xoxox

BellaLudovici

Thanks to all for taking the time to advise me

BUT in your situation, to be honest, I would ask someone else to read for you.

The phrase:
flags up the fact that you may find it impossible to keep the way you feel out of it. And what you NEED is an objective reading. I think you are too wrung out to manage that.

This was actually the first thing I thought of because I completely agree. The only problem is there is no one around here that I know of that even practices Tarot so alas I am stuck with me. But again I greatly appreciate you taking the time to offer me some advice. Thank you

BellaLudovici

Close to home

When I'm an emotional wreck is about the only time I DO read for myself. Once you find a spread you think will help you out, write out what you're getting for each card. For me, the journaling process in the reading really helps me clear my mind and see some options I may not have seen before. It calms me down, helps me focus just by the sheer act of actually doing the reading.

Of course the Celtic Cross is very helpful in things like this, as well...but if it's too much to take on, you can just find a smaller spread or taylor one to the things you want to know.

I too usually only do readings for myself when I am an emotional wreck or in a state of pure emotion and that's always just felt like the right time to do so. I also journal all my readings and the best part for me is to go back and read then days or weeks later. Not because I disagree with my interpretation but because once out of the emotional state I can actually find even deeper meaning in my interpretations. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to read for me but I will definitely try the Celtic cross spread. Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated

gregory

This was actually the first thing I thought of because I completely agree. The only problem is there is no one around here that I know of that even practices Tarot so alas I am stuck with me. But again I greatly appreciate you taking the time to offer me some advice. Thank you
There are THOUSANDS of people here who would read for you, if you ask. You'd have to offer them an exchange, but still. Look around and see who resonates with you, and ask them :)